Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphotologo-150x150.jpg

Earlier today, Apple announced iPhoto for the iPad and iPhone, saying it would launch today. Keeping to its word, iPhoto is now available for purchase. [Direct Link]

Additionally, updates to iMovie and GarageBand are now live as well.
With iPhoto for iOS, Apple brings Multi-Touch to photography in a breakthrough way. Browse, edit, and share your photos from your iPad or iPhone, like never before - all the powerful tools you need are at your fingertips. And with iCloud, you can share your experiences as stunning photo journals.

Use simple gestures to quickly sort through photos and find your best shots. A powerful set of Multi-Touch tools helps you perfect color and exposure, crop, straighten, and retouch images. Enhance pictures by adding beautiful, Apple-designed effects with just a tap. Or use fingertip brushes to apply adjustments exactly where you want them. In addition to posting photos to Facebook, Flickr, and Twitter, you can beam photos between your iPhone and iPad, stream photos and slideshows to your Apple TV with AirPlay, and use iCloud to publish photo journals to the web to share your stories with friends and family in a whole new way.
iphotoscreenshot.jpg

iPhoto is a universal app available for $4.99 on the App Store. [Direct Link]

iMovie is a universal app available for $4.99 on the App Store, and is a free upgrade for current owners. [Direct Link]

GarageBand is a universal app available for $4.99 on the App Store, and is a free upgrade for current owners. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iPhoto for iOS, Updates for iMovie and Garageband Go Live on App Store

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
My question is...with the iPad 3....will you FINALLY be able to transfer HD 1080p video shot with a canon dslr like the T3i to the ipad via the Apple cam kit....and then BE ABLE TO EDIT THAT VIDEO IN IMOVIE?!!!! Lol

Thats all i wanna know. Love my ipad 1st gen....but skipped the ipad 2nd gen cause it couldnt do this. I am a photographer/videographer/blogger who travels alot, and I LOVE the form factor of the ipad and all it does.

But this is the one sticking point for me. I know there will always be things a laptop or desktop can do that an ipad isnt meant for....however...Tim Cook keeps stressing about a "Post PC world"....and this is a real world application. People shoot high quality video with dslrs and would like to edit that video while on the road. It seems like the umbilical cord has been cut btwn the ios devices and computers with the icloud and syncing....but not being able to load and edit video directly onto your ipad keeps the device stuck in the umbilical cord days. I find it very annoying.

The new retina display and faster speed make it the perfect device to edit videos while on the road.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
My question is...with the iPad 3....will you FINALLY be able to transfer HD 1080p video shot with a canon dslr like the T3i to the ipad via the Apple cam kit....and then BE ABLE TO EDIT THAT VIDEO IN IMOVIE?!!!! Lol

Thats all i wanna know. Love my ipad 1st gen....but skipped the ipad 2nd gen cause it couldnt do this. I am a photographer/videographer/blogger who travels alot, and I LOVE the form factor of the ipad and all it does.

But this is the one sticking point for me. I know there will always be things a laptop or desktop can do that an ipad isnt meant for....however...Tim Cook keeps stressing about a "Post PC world"....and this is a real world application. People shoot high quality video with dslrs and would like to edit that video while on the road. It seems like the umbilical cord has been cut btwn the ios devices and computers with the icloud and syncing....but not being able to load and edit video directly onto your ipad keeps the device stuck in the umbilical cord days. I find it very annoying.

The new retina display and faster speed make it the perfect device to edit videos while on the road.

You can do this, they updated iMovie a few months ago to support this.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Dumb question:

Can this iPhoto somehow access iPhoto on your mac over WiFi or anything?

timothyjay2004

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I keep trying to purchase iPhoto, and update other apps, like iMovie and it keeps saying that the Apple Terms and Conditions have changed. I go to accept them, and it gets stuck. Each time. Ugh...

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I couldn't search for iPhoto, but I searched for iMovie and then clicked on the Apple link to show only apps from Apple, which showed iPhoto.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The App Store seems to be as badly bogged down as the Apple.com store.

Best to wait until tomorrow, I think!

barcafan1990

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
New Terms and Conditions

I keep trying to purchase iPhoto, and update other apps, like iMovie and it keeps saying that the Apple Terms and Conditions have changed. I go to accept them, and it gets stuck. Each time. Ugh...

Ditto

The new terms and conditions won't load for me either. Can't install any updates or get new apps. :confused:

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
They really have to do something about these stupid bottlenecks built into the whole process. I'm sure the streaming servers can handle quite a load but obviously the 'agreeing to terms and conditions' server is taking a beating.

It used to be like this when updating iOS ("checking download with Apple") - but the iOS 5.1 update was silky smooth this time 'round.

Good to see they're at 300+ million users. Now update the infrastructure to handle the load.

I'm actually suspecting Apple of doing this on purpose. It's the digital equivalent of lines at the stores.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Dumb question:

Can this iPhoto somehow access iPhoto on your mac over WiFi or anything?

I too think this would be awesome.
A great way to rate/tag/edit photos while on the sofa and away from the iMac.
and have these photos reside/amended on the Main Library.

If you want to save locally on the iPad you can do that too.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Why does Apple insist on doing silly little artwork? Those "brushes" are a bit much.

bpmarkowitz

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Just a heads up, apparently you can't run iPhoto on the iPad 1:

"Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad 2 Wi-Fi, and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G.Requires iOS 5.1 or later."

Didn't want someone to buy it over the desktop iTunes and then find out after the fact.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
I did what mythicFrost said to do & it came up. But it wouldn't let me download it because I haven't updated to iOS5.1 yet. Maybe that's why it doesn't come up when you search. The Pabes upgrade is brayed out on the upgrade scree for th same reason.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
What iPhoto needs is iPhoto in the cloud. My entire iPhoto library (or select-able photos with select-able events with select-able albums) in iCloud with shareable links.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I did what mythicFrost said to do & it came up. But it wouldn't let me download it because I haven't updated to iOS5.1 yet. Maybe that's why it doesn't come up when you search. The Pabes upgrade is brayed out on the upgrade scree for th same reason.
I searched from iTunes 10.6. Didn't try on the iPhone.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I'm liking the iPhoto app, it's really cool. The ability to find similar photos is neat!

Can you access your Mac iPhoto library? If not, what is the preferred way of getting photos into it? Photo Stream?

Also, how does Beam work? (And really what is it?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.