iPhoto: How to see the albums a picture belongs to?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thor774, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Thor774 macrumors regular

Thor774

I have used iPhoto for ages but now that my photo collection has grown exponentially I have started to get questions about the organization methods that the program offers.

I am wondering, if I am looking at a picture inside Photos, is there a way to see to what albums that picture belongs? I have pictures that appear in more than one album and would like an easy way to find this info.

Thanks.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I don't know of any built-in way to find all albums that a particular photo is in.

Yours seems like a reasonable desire, and your question got me curious. I looked in the AlbumData.xml file, and is seems like one could write a program to look through it and spit out the names of all albums that a given photo is a member of. It's not super simple but not infeasible. From what I could tell, the info is in there, it's mostly just a matter of understanding Apple's XML structure.

I probably won't get around to it, though. Anyone else?

3. Bear macrumors G3

That would be useful. I suggest providing feedback to Apple requesting that as a feature. The more people who request a feature, the more likely it will get implemented.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Maybe you've outgrown iPhoto.

There might be a way to do this in Aperture, but I'm not sure. I don't use it that much, and I couldn't seem to find a way to see which album a particular photo was in.

In Lightroom, however, you can use a contextual menu to find which collections a photo is in (a collection is functionally similar to an album; it's, well, a collection without containing the "real" photo as a folder would in LR). It will also show you which published collection the photo is in. A typical workflow is you make a collection of say "selfies at New Years" and maybe then sub collections for publishing at Flickr and another one on your hard drive to send to mom. This way you can easily go from the photo to any one of those. Download the LR demo and check it out. I find the organizational tools in LR superior to Aperture for reasons like this.

5. Thor774 thread starter macrumors regular

Thor774

I will definitely send feedback to apple on this one.
    It is strange that you cannot access this info easily from the program. I was expecting that it was just me overlooking something.

Thank you all for the help.

6. numlock macrumors 68000

seems like a perfectly reasonable feature but maybe considered too professional by apple.

but as lame and amateur i find it to not have this feature the inconsistency between apps makes this even more bizarre. in itunes 10 you can right click and select show in playlist. in address book 5 you hold down the alt/option to have the group highlighted in yellow.

what happened with creating a consistent user experience?