iPhoto-Import photo issue--photos in library folder but not imported-delete them how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EMKoper, Jul 16, 2007.

1. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Hello.... using iPhoto 6.0 and some time ago I attempted to import some photos that were corrupt and it kept locking up the program requiring a force quit. I have given up on those photos, but every time I open iPhoto I get asked "119 photos have been found in the iPhoto Library folder that were not imported. Would you like to import them?" ... the answer is *NO* and I think I've told iPhoto that 1000 times ... how do I get rid of these photos once and for all so iPhoto will quit asking?

Attached Files:

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

What happens when you say Yes?

4. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse

have you deleted the actual files?
    try going to the system files, the folder called "Pictures", that has a folder for every import in your iphoto library. The folders aren't named intuitively, but a cryptic numeric system (at least that's how mine looks!) but you should be able to figure out which files it is, trash 'em.

5. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Yes...

The import starts of these 119 photos and just sits there requiring a force quit (I let it sit there over night, once and no additional progress was made)... no display of any files names, etc. to point me to a directory or anything.

This is my problem, I have no idea where these un-imported files are or I would just delete them. It says they aren't in the library ... and, to be honest, I am a little gun-shy about tinkering around without some help with anything in the library since the photos are pretty precious (though they are backed up)... and iphoto structure is pretty wacky to start with... ;)

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

a last ditch effort

If the photos are backed up I would reinstall iPhoto. At the very least try repairing permissions (it never hurts to try this. it fixes the most unexpected things) Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > select drive to repair permissions.

7. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse

Agreed, iphoto structure is wacky!
    If these pics are backed up, you've got nothin' to lose - go for it. You tell that software who's boss!
    Go to the iphoto library files:

Users > (your user account) > Pictures > iPhoto library >

You should see folders labelled w/ the year of import (I think it's based on the computer's calendar, not the date of photo), then another set of numbered photos (is this the month of import?), then another inside that....

Anyways, eventually you get to the files themselves.
    You have the data files in a folder, and then the picture jpg files. You should be able to see each jpg in the preview window (view these in the 'columns' view for quick jumping around).
    Actually, if it shows you the picture in preview mode, chances are the files themselves are salvageable. What I'd do is trash the data files. You might try grabbing all the jpg files, moving them to a totally different spot, trash the data folder, trash the cryptically numbered folders, etc.

I do this sort of master-level file management all the time for iPhoto and its equally annoying partner iTunes!!

8. paolomario macrumors newbie

solved it!

Hey,
    I have been having the very same problem, and I think it is due to a corrupted .avi file iPhoto was trying to import from my camera. For some reason it couldn't import the file and that caused the program to crash, beginning this crazy error message cycle you describe.

It was frustrating the **** out of me but in the end the solution is simple.

Just open up a Finder window, browse to the Pictures folder, iPhoto Library, where you will find a folder called "Import". Delete everything in the import folder, empty your trash, and try re-opening iPhoto.

The key here is actually not to go through the "Originals" subfolder in the iPhoto Library folder. That's where your precious photos are, including any ones that have already been imported.

If these photos from the error message are photos that have already been imported, then you can delete the ones in the "Import" folder, which are duplicates. You should be able to verify this by browsing the import folder in a Finder window and just looking at the thumbnail previews. That was the case for me - the only thing that had not been imported was the .avi file I mentioned above; all the others were .jpegs from the same import from my camera, that had been successfully imported by iPhoto.

If instead they have not yet been imported, then you should browse through and try and figure out which file is corrupted. You might want to copy the whole thing over to a temp folder on your desktop and try individually importing each file into iPhoto if that's the case.

But as long as the "Import" subfolder in the iPhoto Library folder is empty, iPhoto should start up without a hitch.

It worked for me, hope it works for you too. Good luck,
    P>

9. fass9 macrumors newbie

Solved

I was having the same problem with iPhoto and had left it on twice and all it did was duplicate the number of unimported pictures. I followed the instructions you gave and they worked like a charm. Someone should tell David Pogue; he doesn't deal with this issue in his Missing Manual for iPhoto.