iPhoto: Is there any way to define a directory for the imported images?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cool11, Jul 8, 2008.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is there any way to define a directory for the imported images?
    I didn't find an option in iphoto preferences.

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

What, exactly do you mean by directory? They are imported into a new "Event" by default. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean a new library? You can create a new library by holding down the option key when starting iPhoto. The new library will be the default until you change it to something else. Not sure what you are asking. Please clarify.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I want to tell iphoto, do the import of camera images, to a directory I want.
    Use the 'import selected pictures' feature and set the directory that theses images would be stored.

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

It is the term "directory" that is causing the confusion. Do you mean another users "library"? Or a different "library". iPhoto itself is just one library. But you can create more -- perhaps to split your library into smaller chunks by following my instructions above. if you are talking about, perhaps, your spouses library, then just switch to that user/account and import. Photos will automatically go into his/her library.

If this is not what you are asking, please provide more information -- describe what you mean by "directory".

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The simple answer is no. iPhoto doesn't support managing photos located outside its library.

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Ok, this is what I wanted to know.

Where on hard disk lay all the libraries and their photos of iphoto?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iPhoto's library is located here:

~/Pictures/iPhoto Library

where ~ is your user folder - the one with the house icon. The iPhoto Library isn't a file, but rather a package - you can right-click it to view its contents, but I highly recommend against doing this, especially if you're doing it only to get a photo for use elsewhere. Use iPhoto's export function instead, for this purpose.

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That's not entirely true, if you uncheck "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" under the Advanced preferences, you can pretty much store the photos wherever you want:

_Skjermbilde 1.jpg

How that works when importing pics from a camera (or another volume), e.g. if you get prompted for a location to put them, I have no idea. Has anybody tried?

I let iPhoto take care of all that, just as I let iTunes manage all my music...that's what they're made to do... ;)

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thank you - shows how little I've used iPhoto. I didn't know that option existed.:eek:

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Mitthrawnuruodo

That is perfect. Just what I was looking for!

Thank you.