Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treeworld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Hi there,

I just found a "recovered files" in my trash, just before I was about to empty it. In it, there is (A Document being saved by Safari) which contains all of my iPhoto pictures. I clicked and dragged it back to my media section, but everytime i click on the 'recovered file' in the file, it says everything within it is still in Trash. I tried to empty my trash and it said it was deleting over 5,000 items- way more stuff than was in there, unless my photos were in there... which meant it was deleting my pictures too! I don't know whether it is deleting duplicates or whether I won't have any pictures left afterwards and I don't want to take the chance of losing 5 years worth of pictures! What do I do? Do i need to download some recovery software, or can I just empty my trash with no effects to the pictures? I have no idea how this "recovered files" ended up in my trash... usually when I click on the iphoto library in Finder it takes me straight to iPhoto, however this one took me into the actual pictures on Finder.

I'm really, really sorry, I know there have been several posts about recovering things from the trash but i feel like this is different? Also I really don't want to potentially lose all of my pictures.

Thanks in advance :) I feel like no0b

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi there,

I just found a "recovered files" in my trash, just before I was about to empty it. In it, there is (A Document being saved by Safari) which contains all of my iPhoto pictures. I clicked and dragged it back to my media section, but everytime i click on the 'recovered file' in the file, it says everything within it is still in Trash. I tried to empty my trash and it said it was deleting over 5,000 items- way more stuff than was in there, unless my photos were in there... which meant it was deleting my pictures too! I don't know whether it is deleting duplicates or whether I won't have any pictures left afterwards and I don't want to take the chance of losing 5 years worth of pictures! What do I do? Do i need to download some recovery software, or can I just empty my trash with no effects to the pictures? I have no idea how this "recovered files" ended up in my trash... usually when I click on the iphoto library in Finder it takes me straight to iPhoto, however this one took me into the actual pictures on Finder.

I'm really, really sorry, I know there have been several posts about recovering things from the trash but i feel like this is different? Also I really don't want to potentially lose all of my pictures.

Thanks in advance :) I feel like no0b

Perhaps it is time for you to consider some file recovery shareware. I haven't tried any myself but one option is tech tools pro (paid version). Another option is drive wizard. There is also something "on sale" right now over at mupromo. Before paying for anything, make sure you ask the developer about your specific situation.

Next time, when you are looking for things in the trash, keep your clicking fingers away from the empty trash button. That's kind of like burn before reading. Also iPhoto Library is not necessarily the best place for your original photos. May I suggest you export them all to a folder and make sure that folder gets multiply backed up, ie Time Machine and Crashplan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.