Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to one reader report, Photo and Album Printing have been activated in iPhoto for UK customers (and presumably most of Europe).

These features allows iPhoto users to turn their pictures into prints and photo albums for enjoyment away from the computer.

Originally available only for U.S. customers, Steve Jobs announced in January that Photo Books and Prints would become available in Europe in March.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
if i was there

id test it out but i aint dam it
couldnt wait till tuseday when i got into the uk dam it dam it :) i am coming home run

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
AirUncleP said:
I know of no one that has had a book printed from iPhoto. Anyone?

I have.... comes out nice. :)

arn

Shirky

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Thank God !

At last !!

I will give it try over the weekend with my pitifully slow 56k dial up line...

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
Wow how cool is that, pressed the button gave it my Apple account, ordered the prints.

Now can we have ITMS too? pleaseeeeeee

Viv

iDuc

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
First order is in...

I just ordered my first iPhoto's directly from iPhoto.. works like a charm... Only thing that bothers me that the pricing is almost double compared to the other online services in The Netherlands...

Is this the same for different countries??

Indeed, now we need iTunes Music Store... come on Apple... :D

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I can vouch for Arn (not that Arn needs vouching for ;) ). The iPhoto book is very nice, especially the cloth binding. The print quality could be a little better in my view--it's not as good as printing on my Canon on nice photo paper--but it's also not inkjet printing; it seems much more like your standard four-color print process. Much more durable than an inkjet print. We gave them as Christmas presents last year and everyone loved them.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
AirUncleP said:

I also have one. Very nice. Just be sure the pictures are arranged the way you want first, obviously. Make sure the album photos are in the proper sequence before making the book, and also plan on spending some time redoing the "auto" suggestions iPhoto does for you ("why did it put one picture on this page and four on that one?"). However, if it looks OK when you order it, it will arrive looking great!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Shirky said:
At last !!

I will give it try over the weekend with my pitifully slow 56k dial up line...

I had to do that at my parents' house last month. I feel your pain! Start very early Saturday morning if you want it to finish before Monday. :) Kidding, of course. It should be done by Sunday afternoon, no problem....

leenoble

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
'04

Are you people all using '04?

I just fired up iPhoto and all I get is USD prices.
And if I try to change my account settings in iPhoto I only get USA and Canada as options.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
AirUncleP said:

Yes, I've done a few and they are amazing. After my mom passed away, I took all her family photos, scanned them and had them printed into hardcover books that I gave all my siblings at Christmas. They were beautiful and well-received.

A word of advice on layout: there isn't much layout control, you basically get to choose between one and four pics per page, and they don't always line up perfectly, sometimes they bleed, sometimes they don't; i haven't quite figured out why this is, possibly having to do with resolution or something. Anyway, my advice for better layout control is to assemble complete pages in Photoshop and import them into iPhoto.

Good luck, you will be pleasantly surprised. I have been a design pro for 15 years and have a good eye for print quality, so I wasn't expecting to be blown away but I really was very pleased with the whole thing.

co2

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
I'm not getting the option either? iPhoto 3 (came with Panther).

Just get USA or Canada options!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
MacKenzie999 said:
A word of advice on layout: there isn't much layout control, you basically get to choose between one and four pics per page, and they don't always line up perfectly, sometimes they bleed, sometimes they don't; i haven't quite figured out why this is, possibly having to do with resolution or something. Anyway, my advice for better layout control is to assemble complete pages in Photoshop and import them into iPhoto.

I agree with you on the level of control, but you are able to achieve some control by reordering the photos in the library. I even showed my kids how to do this (aged 9 and 11) and they made entire books for their great-grandparents. Another point--sometimes it crops photos as well. Take a close look before you send it in and make sure nothing important is cut off. On a couple of occasions I resorted to cropping the photos in iPhoto to make the auto-cropping work the way I wanted.

Viv

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2003
Normandy, France
leenoble said:
Are you people all using '04?

I just fired up iPhoto and all I get is USD prices.
And if I try to change my account settings in iPhoto I only get USA and Canada as options.

Ah now that may be a point yes I am using ILife 04 and Panther 10.3.3

Sorry should have said that.

Viv

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Sorry Apple, thats FAR too expensive for regular prints.
At the smallest size, the prints are 0.33 Euro apiece. *plus* 16 % VAT *plus* shipping (starting at 2.99).

I did a small conversion for our US friends. Including tax, this is $ 0.49 per print. At the SMALLEST size.

The books are only good if you want something for a REALLY special event - else it would be too expensive too. When would you pay 78 Euros ( $ 100 !!) for a photobook with 24 pages?

All I can say: :eek:

I will choose other services, thank you.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
iPhoto 3 doesn't exist

co2 said:
I'm not getting the option either? iPhoto 3 (came with Panther).

Just get USA or Canada options!

There was no iPhoto 3. It's either iPhoto 2 or iPhoto 4. If you have Rendezvous album sharing in your version of iPhoto, then you have iPhoto 4. If not, then it's likely you have iPhoto 2.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Stike said:
I did a small conversion for our US friends. Including tax, this is $ 0.49 per print. At the SMALLEST size.

The books are only good if you want something for a REALLY special event - else it would be too expensive too. When would you pay 78 Euros ( $ 100 !!) for a photobook with 24 pages?

The price for prints throught iPhoto in the U.S. is coincidentally $0.49 USD. You can get them cheaper through something like walmart.com however ($0.29 if my brain remembers correctly). Yes they are sort of expensive.

The books... I spent a few hours putting a book together and it was about 20 pages or so. I was the price was around $60! I'll make my own photo albums for the time being thanks you. They are extrememly nice (I've seen them in the Apple Stores) but unless it's a really special event (wedding or something of that nature) I think I'll stick to glue and paper.

But I guess that's why there are alternatives. Apple can price things however they want (or Kodak if that's the case) and we can choose not to purchase it (sometimes... :))

Wendy_Rebecca

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2003
No way.

AirUncleP said:

I won't do it until they print on acid-free paper, as most other photo services of this type do.

It's silly, really. Why is Apple the lone holdout? If I'm going to pony up the bucks for this, I'm going with a book that will last longer than a few years before it turns brown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.