Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
So we know not to expect any big hardware updates any time soon... but what about software? How soon do you think we can expect a polished version of iPhoto (particularly one with iTunes-style linking to libraries)?

I'm hoping for Tokyo.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
A little soon, don't you think? They just released iPhoto in Jan. Unless you mean a point update, like 1.0.1. I wouldn't expect to see anything semi-major until July at the earliest.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
iPhoto sucks

I have to agree. While iPhoto is a step in the right direction, it could be a *lot* better.

The good UI designers must have been on vacation when iPhoto was created.

atodd

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
between yourself
Timing - uh, actually...

Um, guys...

Apple introduced iTunes in Jan 2001. iTunes 1.1 came out in February 2001.

This definitely does not rule out a possiblility of iPhoto 1.1 at Tokyo (or even 1.5!)

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Eyelikeart is right..

Ya, it is a little early for even a decimal release unless its just a bug kill.
Expect 1.01 within the month. Usually a .1 change is reserved for new features and .01 or .0.1 changes are for bug squashes. I have found lots of bugs in iPhoto though so I wouldn't exactly be surprised if we get a few small revisions soon and a whole decimal upgrade by or before June.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Of course were "never" satisfied...

What's with this mantra that we should just be happy with what we have and never want for more? Why do you even spend time at a "rumor" site if that is how you feel? Technology is about progression, and where we see possibility for improvement, should we not seek after that improvement?

I've used iPhoto extensively since the day it was released, both professionally and personally. It is a great program, but it is not a perfect program. I anticipate updates to it, and I am sure Apple does as well. Here is a partial list of what I'd like to see:

1) Sub-Chapters (folders) to Photo Albums. For example...I have an 8 month old Son. I'd like to create a single photo album for him, yet be able to further segregate the images within this album (birthday, vacation, etc.) Otherwise, I am going to end up with about a million Albums, with very little real organization.

2) Album-specific Keywords. I'd like to create specific keywords for each album. Again, using the example of my son, I'd like to create keywords such as 5 months, 6 months, ect. I'd also like universal keywords if needed.

3) Expanded Search Capabilities: The keywords are nice, but I'd like it to be a bit more robust. For example, I'd like the ability to do "negative" keyword searches as well as "positive" keyword searches. Show me all images that have keyword a and b, but which don't contain keyword c.

4) Assign Keystrokes to Keywords.

5) Slide-show Assignment of Keywords: I take a lot of pictures. I need to quickly be able to preview the images, and segregate them based on quality. The thumbnails are nice, but to really see the images, I prefer to look at them via the slideshow option. I'd like to be able to mark the images during the slideshow (perhaps via the keystrokes I mentioned above?)

6) Export as a Quicktime Movie.

7) Export as a stand-alone web page (or pages) with multiple layout options. Sure, the iTools thing is nice, but I'd like to implement this feature for my own specific websites as well.

Well...thats enough for now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.