iPico

tortus

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Los Angeles
Pico is...

Pico is a text editing application commonly found on Unix and Linux based operating systems. It is easier to than vi, which takes a little bit of learning and practice to get used to.

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: The humor of it all

Originally posted by tortus
vi
emacs
pico

are all text editing/manipulating applications.
oh yes, I'm really familliar with vi and emacs, did all my c and c++ coding on sun workstations with those babies. I haven't been doing any coding in 3 years or so or been working on suns, so I'm a little out of the loop there.

So blakespot, you think apple is going to come up with another iApp the will be a text editing package? Interesting. What would it allow that isn't already available? Or are you just playing around....:D

Comment

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I am just playing around, but my point was that the next Mac would be called the iPico. Maybe the iTeX. It's a conspiracy.

blakespot

Comment

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Wouldn't iPico be a step backwards. vi to emacs to...uh...pico.

De-evolution.

Taft

Comment

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Taft
Wouldn't iPico be a step backwards. vi to emacs to...uh...pico.

De-evolution.

Taft
LOL! Seems like us CS people have it out for pico-- I always try to spread the good word of vi whenever I can. Pico is very underpowered compared to vi/ex, or the beast known as emacs. I would not cherish the thought of an Apple product being called pico unless it was small in nature, like a PDA or something.

Interesting trivia: pico stands for pine composer

Comment

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by sparkleytone
emacs is bloated crap, vi is cryptic, pico is my textbased editor of choice. flame away.
Well I guess "bloated" is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, emacs does more than one program should, but the fact that it is a command line program doesn't make it a likely candidate for being bloated in my book. I don't know if it's crap, because I didn't want to spend a long time reading a large book on how to use it. It's probably smaller than some of the most simple GUI apps.

Yes, vi is cryptic, but so is Unix. The Unix philosiphy is that you have a bunch of small tools, that when combined can do anything that you want (that's why hackers like it so much).

Pico is the text-editor of many people's choice, but that's for the fact that it's easy. For the casual Unix text editing pico is fine, but for programmers (main Unix users), we need something more powerful.

I like vi because there are two modes: command mode and editor mode. It's wrapped up elegantly with ex so that you can do powerful commands fast. An example to copy the line your currently on in vi, just type .co. into the command mode. Simple. Might have a big learning curve that's cryptic, but that's just anything Unix for ya'.

I'm not going to flame you. Those are valid opinions, just hope that you see the value in cryptic programs.

Cryptic=powerful
Pico=weak

Comment

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Flame, flame, flame...

Originally posted by sparkleytone
emacs is bloated crap, vi is cryptic, pico is my textbased editor of choice. flame away.
flame, flame, flame, fla-ame, fleee-ame!!!

Emacs is crap!?!?!?!?! Have you ever *tried* emacs?? It supports just about any language out there, is easy to use, has been extended to have very nice windowed interfaces, and is available on most platforms. Bloated? Maybe. Crap? Hardly.

Cntrol-K, Control-U to move lines?? Control-V and Y the only way to page quickly. *Very* basic search features. No syntax parsing or language knowledge. And, as far as I am aware, no window capable interface or mouse capabilities. What am I describing?? None other than the glorious pile of crap that is pico.

Where emacs may be bloatware, pico is most certainly under-featured. It is suitable for quick editing jobs and an editor for command-line e-mail programs. IMO, beyond that its useless and crap. A load of crap. Lots of crap.

Crap.

Taft

Comment

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Flame, flame, flame...

Thanks Taft, I didn't feel in the flaming mood today. Most people have no hope of switching from pico...but alas.

Comment

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
I guess the Mac IIvim never saw the light of day?

And what will hapen after going through all the UNIXy editors? I hope we don't see iWord, iBBEdit, iSimpleText, iTextEdit etc... :)

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
new computers
How about the iWantaG5
thats sound like an awesome computer:D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.