Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I'm planning on buying an iPod to keep me company on a cross-country plane trip I'll be taking in October. A friend, however, told me that CD players, mp3 players, etc are not allowed on planes because they can interfere with the navigation systems. That sounds cooky to me... is it true?

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Yes, they are allowed. The steward/ess will announce when it is save to turn on computers and small electronic devices.

The weird question is bluetooth and other wireless networking standards. You can not have any item that broadcasts on an aircraft because it is the broadcasting of a signal (cell phone) that can interfere with the electronics of an aircraft.

I know the p800 from Sony has a radio-off function that will allow you to use its PDA functions on an aircraft (it turns off the cell and the bluetooth), but you will need to, in the future, read your manual about whether a bluetooth device can have its transmit/receive functions turned off for use on a plane.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I fly alot

Like the others said.. they are alowed. You just have to waite till you are at cusing altatude and they say its ok. Its a requirment by the FAA. Cell phones have to be off all the time but you can still take them with you.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
I fly with my Tibook and iPod on blast all the time.:D
If any one says anything to you... You look them dead in the eyes, and turn your iPod around(showing them the Apple logo) and they will back off;)

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Originally posted by xrhajj
If any one says anything to you... You look them dead in the eyes, and turn your iPod around(showing them the Apple logo) and they will back off;)

Brilliant!! :D

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by mcrain
The weird question is bluetooth and other wireless networking standards. You can not have any item that broadcasts on an aircraft because it is the broadcasting of a signal (cell phone) that can interfere with the electronics of an aircraft.

That is a very interesting point - Bluetooth is relatively short range and I'm not sure how the frequency fits into the avionics spectrum, but it certainly seems like something that needs to be considered. It would seem that Airport (1811?) is a similar problem - all of these technologies are constantly broadcasting.

My Kyocera allows me to turn of the cell phone separately from the Palm.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Yeah!

Originally posted by xrhajj

Yeah Show off your Apple logo yeah! HAHAHAHA! Good point! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.