Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mastabri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Hi, my birthday's coming up and my dad said he's willing to buy me either an iPod, iPaq or Handspring Treo.

Basically... what I wanna ask you guys is, what advantages and disadvantages does the cheapest iPod have over similarly priced PDA's

Here's some stuff to consider:

• I only have about 1 GB of songs on my comp...
• My computers:

1GHz / 1 GB RAM / 120 GB HD Quicksilver G4 w/ Jaguar.
1.2 GHz / 256 MB RAM / 40 GB HD HP w/ Windows XP Home edition.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
iPod is a frickin amazing device... but depending on what you want to do you may want a PDA instead

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well, the iPaq and Handspring are PDA's...the iPod ISN'T, sure it has a few PDA style functions but it is in no way a PDA, you can't even enter data/delete data on it for one thing, it simply displays info sync'd from your calender/address book; nothing more.
So....if you want a PDA, get the iPaq or Handspring, if you want the best MP3 player on the face of the planet get the iPod.

clubsport

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
If you buy an iPaq, you will be disappointed. Basically, they try to replicate Windows XP in a way that causes the device to become very frustrating and unusable. (I have one, if you are wondering)

A Handspring Treo is a great little device. If you want a PDA, I would buy it instead of the iPaq. It offers an elegant interface and is far easier to use than the iPaq.

But, for the most enjoyment, buy an iPod. I bought one a few weeks ago, and it is the most beautiful, easy-to-use, fun device I have ever used. If you like music on the go, or are just a gadget-man, I would go for the iPod.

If you want to use your device for work or school, however, buy a Treo.

mastabri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
That's why I can't decide! Do I really need something to store all that music? My portable CD player has been suiting me fine... but just like Chaszmyr said, it's amazing for what it is... so I might end up even loving the iPod. You can use the iPod as an external hd, right? I use iCal pretty much everyday... so that could come as use, even though the iPod isn't a real PDA.

I was leaning towards the iPaq because I could use it for email, Word as well as a mp3 player. During class (college student) I find myself writing tons and tons of personal notes on paper... and I bet I would save lots of trees by using a pda.

Any other opinions would be GREATLY appreciated =)

mastabri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
thanks SO much clubsport. i think i'm 70% towards the iPod. you just gotta love the design.. plus the fact that it's made by Apple! (I only bought my PC for programming and such)

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
I got a iPod for Christmas from a girlfriends father (I know, what a great guy), and at first I was like, what the ^%$# am I going to do with this thing. I had a lot of music on my hard drive, but I really didn't think I would use it. Then, next thing you know, I'm using all the time -- in my car (adapter), exercising, traveling, etc. I love the thing.

Just had the iPod stolen -- a real collector's item -- had had a bitch of a time without it. You really realize how important it is when you don't got it.

IMO, GET THE iPod!!!!!!!

...and download, sssshhhhh, Limewire.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
That Zaurus looks pretty keen...

... but it doesn't look like they have a Mac client for it. :(

The latest Palms and Handsprings don't have user-replacable batteries. When (not if) the battery dies you have to send it to them and pay big bucks. :(

I suggest you get a used Palm III on ebay for $40-$50 and use that for your organizer. It does 95% of what a PDA needs to do and will leave you with lots of cash for the iPod.

Is the battery in the iPod user-replacable? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.