Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
These are two different products, made to do different things. No, this is not the iPod killer. But one will come someday (unfortunately)...

--Waluigi

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
iPod killer? Portable video probably won't achieve the mp3 player's popularity because:
1. You have to keep your eyes on the device when you're enjoying its content.
2. Portability = 1/Screen Size.

But, Avia is releasing a 20GB mp3 jukebox that's supposedly smaller than the iPod (yes, smaller) and has a substantial battery life. It doesn't look so shabby, either. (Black front, chrome sides, haven't seen the back)

But yes, there eventually will come an iPod killer, probably even before the scroll-wheel patent expires. :D

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
An iPod killer? I'm not so sure. This is not a market that can or will be dominated by any vendor.

It's not a market that is as OS dependent as computers.

There's only 3 serious OS's (OSX, Linux, Windows). So if your player has drivers for any or all of them, it will sell if it's good enough.

Just as no one dominates the audio market, no one will dominate the portable digital audio player (pdap) market.

Distribution likewise. No one dominates the traditional distribution market of music (i.e. retail stores) so no one will dominate online distribution.

I am slightly concerned by Apple's narrow mindedness on the WMV format. I'm okay with them not supporting it now but I hope they don't get pigheaded about it if WMV becomes the dominant format. Coz that would hurt their sales.

So if someone does release an "iPod killer"...it won't just kill iPods, it will knockout all the others as well.

But then Apple and all the others will rush to market a suitable competitior.

Have you ever seen a "Walkman killer"?

No. Because it's irrelevant.

The pdap market will always be about choice just like the "Walkman" market.

But eventually only one or two formats will survive (AAC? WMV? MP3? AIFF?)

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by iMook
But, Avia is releasing a 20GB mp3 jukebox that's supposedly smaller than the iPod (yes, smaller) and has a substantial battery life. It doesn't look so shabby, either. (Black front, chrome sides, haven't seen the back)
avia, like the shoe company?!?!
seriously, care to provide a link to this device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.