Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fahd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Hi,

Is it possible to charge the IPOD via firewire on a PC? This works fine for me on my PB, but this doesnt work on my PC. Just wondering if thats how the feature is or something on my PC is not working right?

Thanks for any help!

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
It charges through the PC just fine. I take my Windows iPod inbetween my PC and PowerBook without issue.

On your PC notebook, is it a 4 pin or 6 pin firewire port? The 4 pins are usually unpowered. I have also seem some 6 pin notebook ports that are not powered.

Fahd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
My PC Notebook has a 6 pin firewire. How do you swicth between Mac and PC with your IPOD? I was using mine with my PB and then today when I connected it to my PC, it said "Configuring IPOD" for a long time and then when it was all done, the IPOD was formatted. All my settings etc were gone and it said "Formatted for Windows" in the "About" section. I was pissed! So how do you manage to switch between mac and pc without losing data? :confused:

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
I have my iPod formatted for Windows (FAT 32). Windows and my PowerBook have no trouble reading it. If you have it formatted for the Mac (HFS), Windows is not going recognize that format and will do funny things.

Also, if you are using iTunes on both your Mac and your PC be set iTunes not to update your iPod on connection so it won't touch the data on it.

Funny though, when I read your reply I decided to hook up my iPod to put some new music on it and I had my first kernal panic! :mad:

edited: for poor spelling

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Even though your PC notebook has a 6-pin FireWire port, it may be unpowered. The best way to tell is by plugging something in that draws power over the Firewire port (like an iPod or a bus-powered hard drive.) If it doesn't charge, or work at all (in the case of the hard drive,) then your port doesn't provide power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.