Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
at my comp usa, i have an extended warrenty covering my 2nd gen 10gb ipod. The guy says that i can upgrade to a 20gb for free, basically, he will send mine back to apple to be refurbished and resold, and will give me a new 20gb. There is nothing wrong with my ipod as is, but those new features are tempting. I wanna know, what you would do in the same situation? do you consider this ripping apple off, or is this comp usa's problem? state your opinion

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It sounds like you paid CompUSA for some protection plan when you bought your iPod. Apple may give them some credit for the old unit, but the brunt of the cost belongs to CompUSA (or whomever backs the protection plan)>

I say go for it.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
yes i did buy a $40 protection plan, just to upgrade my ipod. now i am having second thoughts about it.....BTW, i dont need the space, i just feel left out of all these new features that keep coming out:(

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by theipodgod16
.....BTW, i dont need the space, i just feel left out of all these new features that keep coming out:(
You want the new features, then go for it. I have a 10GB first generation and if I could get a new iPod for only $40, I would be doing that without any additional thought.

filmmaker2002

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Milwaukee
I went from a scroll wheel 10GB to a 20GB to a new 30GB iPod with the CompUSA warranty. Definitely do it...it'll be worth it, especially with all the added accessories of the dock connector.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Hmm...wife has a 2nd gen 10 gig and a Comp USA warranty. Just for fun, how could one sabotage an iPod to convince Comp USA it's broken. Unplug it while restoring? Harmless but looks real bad.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Seems a sweet deal, sounds like you've already made your decision.
I don't think it'd be a rip on anyones behalf, see it as customer benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.