iPod Killers for Christmas 2005 Part I

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Eidorian said:
This "iPod Killer" title is getting really old. How long have other companies been trying now? :confused:
I think the writers of that article are aware of that:
But hey, let us keep the joke going, because with so many competitors someone has to eventually come up with a player that sustains sales into the double digits.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Poff said:
The author has to think about penises all day, the way he gets the qoolqee i player thingie to resemble an erect penis..
Or else has a very odd shaped penis.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I would never buy any of them, but the only ones that looks good were the XM and Sirius ones...just because they had sat radio built in.

cwtnospam

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
ipacmm said:
I would never buy any of them, but the only ones that looks good were the XM and Sirius ones...just because they had sat radio built in.
I don't see the point of using satellite radio. It would be cheaper to load up an iPod and take it with you than rent a signal that can't go everywhere you do. My iPod keeps working when I enter a tunnel.
;)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
cwtnospam said:
I don't see the point of using satellite radio. It would be cheaper to load up an iPod and take it with you than rent a signal that can't go everywhere you do. My iPod keeps working when I enter a tunnel.
;)
It would be a nice add on to the ipod. I wouldn't buy one over my ipod. If they ever did come out with the ipod/sirius combo, I would buy it because there are a few stations on sirius that I like.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
ipacmm said:
It would be a nice add on to the ipod. I wouldn't buy one over my ipod. If they ever did come out with the ipod/sirius combo, I would buy it because there are a few stations on sirius that I like.

Note that they both dont actually receive sat radio. You have yo dock it so it can record it, then you can take it with you.... LAME

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
iGary said:
No ITMS, no iTunes, no score.
None of these iPod killers even seem to support AAC/M4As, you'd think that would be a prerequisite to take people away from iPod/iTunes (assuming they had ripped to the default AAC instead of MP3.)

Seems like a motivated manufacturer could get a leg up with a player that supported M4A and reading the iTunes Library XML.

B

Moonlight

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
noverflow said:
Note that they both dont actually receive sat radio. You have yo dock it so it can record it, then you can take it with you.... LAME

I know, that is SOOOO lame, who would want that ??

One thing I did realize by seeing al those players is that NONE are really that good..maybe the Sony ones, but most are crap.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Poff said:
The author has to think about penises all day, the way he gets the qoolqee i player thingie to resemble an erect penis..
It seems that his advertising prediction was accurate, though! :eek:

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2003
Wow. I actually found that informative. I guess I never really realized just how many mp3 players there are. It's amazing how much all of the players have at least one thing that resembles something from the iPod line.

This leads me to question, which portable mp3 players came before the original 1G iPod? Anybody?

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Eidorian said:
This "iPod Killer" title is getting really old. How long have other companies been trying now? :confused:
exactly, thats like calling a person a murderer when a person didn't even murder someone, sure they can try stabbing someone and the person lives but thats not murder, its attempted murder yes

they should call the devices "iPod killer attempters" or something along those lines

but then again i havent heard the iPod killer term much in the news anymore since around feb

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Yvan256 said:
Funniest part is the "4GB iPod nano available at Amazon.com" bit at the end. :D
Yes. I was scrolling through the pictures and thinking about how ugly they all are, and then saw the nano at the bottom. At first I thought someone got it right, and then realized it was an iPod. Of course!

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Apple must be wetting themselves when they see these iPod 'killers'

One doesn't even need to read the specs, just a quick glance over them is enough to know that they have no chance at all.

Every one of them, compared to the iPod looks like a an ugly sister. The Sony bean is the most laughable. It might appeal to 7 year olds though.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
GregUofMN said:
This leads me to question, which portable mp3 players came before the original 1G iPod? Anybody?
The first MP3 players were 32 MB flash players. MPMan from Eiger Labs, followed by the Rio PMP300 and others. They used a PARALLEL port for connection, since PC makers didn't jump on USB as quickly as Apple did.

But the first HD player--the segment the iPod stepped in and took over--was the Personal Jukebox by Remote Solutions. The Creative Nomad and something from Archos also predated the iPod I believe. All were much bulkier than the iPod, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3_player

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
nagromme said:
But the first HD player--the segment the iPod stepped in and took over--was the Personal Jukebox by Remote Solutions.
Looks like that article needs a little cleaning. Remote Solution are these people, formerly known as HanGo Electronics. It wasn't their design, they built it under license from Compaq.