Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

idkew

macrumors 68020
Sounds cool, but for me an LCD remote would be a waste of money. Mine is rarely in view of my eyes, I just control it by touch.

Maybe Apple could make the control a little less symmetrical so I can tell which is pause and which is volume, as well as which button is forward and reverse.

But, I do think Apple should give you the option to get an LCD remote if you so choose.

[edit] Just looked at the supposed image. Looks a bit iffy to me. Very weird compression on the iPod itself. Also does not look like Apple's style, if you catch my drift. The icons just seem "wrong". [/edit]

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Sweet.That will help the ipod keep up with the iRiver if it pans out. Now if only some of these goodies came standard (or they at least lower the base price).

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Apple is leaking things like hell! I would love a LCD remote, but i wonder if this will be developed by Apple or a 3rd party vendor. That remote looks a bit non-Apple. I guess that time will tell.

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by idkew
Sounds cool, but for me an LCD remote would be a waste of money. Mine is rarely in view of my eyes, I just control it by touch.[/edit]

The picture shows this to be a wireless (not a wired) remote.

Take care,

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
remember that these are mockups for product ideas, not products themselves (look at the mic). whatever is eventually produced (if anything) could easily look nothing like this remote.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Don't get me wrong, the LCD remote looks really cool but the last thing I need is another electronic doohickie to carry around with me. The beauty of the iPod is it's all-in-one design.

Many savvy business people that I have talked to all live by the same slogan - "You gotta keep the main thing, the main thing."

I like the FM tuner look I think that would work well, I hope they release it, I love listening to NPR when I get bored of my songs so that would be cool. The LCD remote would be cool, because its just another thing the iPod can check off as having, which is always good against competition.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by baby duck monge
remember that these are mockups for product ideas, not products themselves (look at the mic). whatever is eventually produced (if anything) could easily look nothing like this remote.

Exactly what I wanted to say. Those seem more like concept ideas than anything tangible. These accessories seemed like an obvious step, IMHO.

But if Apple really does make a FM Tuner, they better keep the interface based in the iPod. I want everything to show up on the screen and controlled by what's already on the iPod, not some extra buttons on a large extension of the iPod.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by applekid
But if Apple really does make a FM Tuner, they better keep the interface based in the iPod. I want everything to show up on the screen and controlled by what's already on the iPod, not some extra buttons on a large extension of the iPod.

Agreed. Plus, I would love it if Apple could *somehow* make the reception better. Right now, in big cities, reception is a bit lacking due to congested airwaves.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
hmm very interesting. this is the only thing that will complete my setup of my ipod in my car via blitzsafe adapter.

iJon

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
I wouldn't put much faith into this...

This slide is meant to internally promote and educate on the iPod Accessory Protocol. The devices are meant to be speculative and not necessarily meant to be anything real. Look at the mic, it is obviously a "stylized" version. Looks like a sales guy just trying to think of something else to use as an example...

Not to say it couldn't happen, I just would't bet on something that looks like it was made to fill out a slide.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by chazmox
I wouldn't put much faith into this...

This slide is meant to internally promote and educate on the iPod Accessory Protocol. The devices are meant to be speculative and not necessarily meant to be anything real. Look at the mic, it is obviously a "stylized" version. Looks like a sales guy just trying to think of something else to use as an example...

Not to say it couldn't happen, I just would't bet on something that looks like it was made to fill out a slide.
sales guy...that slide was on asw, which is all apple, not some salesman.

iJon

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Awesome!!!

Maybe this will be out by the time Engineered Audio gets around to shipping the Remote Remote RF remote control I ordered from them a month of doomsdays ago.

What someone really needs to make is a wireless LCD meant to be mounted somewhere on the console in a car, and large enough to be easily read at a glance.

~Philly

chazmox

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Originally posted by iJon

iJon

I did mean that it was some Apple Sales guy ( or Marketing ). My point is still the same...

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I suppose if it were to be wireless, it would be necessary to have an LCD in order to display what song is currently being played.

However, I have no use for it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
wow, a wireless lcd remote would be oh so wonderful. i could keep my ipod in the center console and control all the songs while i drive down the road. i hope apple finds a neat solution for this.

iJon

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I know I would buy those. Now only if it had colour LCD display so I can see it in lowlight without having to turn on the backlight which eats up the battery.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Lets Do Bluetooth?

How many people would love to have bluetooth built-in the iPod not for syncing (way 2 slow) but for WIRELESS headphones. That would be awesome. I figure Apple will at some point integrate this. Cords are a problem, I accidentaly jerk my headphones out while im jogging all the time.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
a "real" remote

wouldn't it be nice to have software on your desktop/PB that remotely controlled the iPod? You get to work--or to home--put your iPod in the dock, maybe near your stereo, maybe at your desk, and you open a little software window in a corner of your desktop, and control the iPod from there? THAT seems more useful than another little piece of hardware to carry with the really neat little piece of hardware. imho.
terry

spankalee

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by iJon

iJon

What chazmox is saying, and quite correctly, is that some sales guy at Apple is promoting the iPod Accessory Protocol, not the accessories. The products on the slide are simply examples of what could be done.

Apple is actually making a very smart move here. Accessories are a risky business because some may not sell well and they probably require a larger R&D to potential revenue/profit ratio than the iPod. But accessories greatly increase the value of the iPod. So Apple is putting the risk on third party vendors by opening up the iPod and making it a 'platform'. Belkin won't be the only company with a Mic or a memory card reader... or a remote, or a tuner. This will make the iPod much more attractive than simple MP3 players lie the Dell or Napster.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
After the last peripherals came out, I'm already disinterested because I know these will be expensive.

Let me start the bidding at $50 each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.