iPod Mini Supply Increasing

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to various reader reports, the online Apple Store is showing a 1-3 day availability on iPod Minis for the first time since their introduction. Previous wait times have been as high as 4 weeks or more, due mainly to the fact that demand was far outstripping supply. Previous production ramp-ups were met with the release of the Mini on the international market, which again completely outstripped supply quickly.

It is not yet know whether the ship times are due to Hitachi's own rumored increase in supply of the drives, or if worldwide demand is finally slowing enough for supply to catch up. Additionally, iPod minis are now available for sale in Target stores as well as various other resellers. Previously, the mini was displayed in stores only with a 'coming soon' note below.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Macrumors said:
According to various reader reports, the online Apple Store is showing a 1-3 day availability on iPod Minis for the first time since their introduction. Previous wait times have been as high as 4 weeks or more, due mainly to the fact that demand was far outstripping supply. Previous production ramp-ups were met with the release of the Mini on the international market, which again completely outstripped supply quickly.

It is not yet know whether the ship times are due to Hitachi's own rumored increase in supply of the drives, or if worldwide demand is finally slowing enough for supply to catch up. Additionally, iPod minis are now available for sale in Target stores as well as various other resellers. Previously, the mini was displayed in stores only with a 'coming soon' note below.
This is good news for everyone, since the iPod minis have been in such high demand, and will likely continue to be in high demand. I'm wondering what has changed in the supply chain to increase the supply so much.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Finally! Now maybe Apple will be able to get minis to all those people who have been clamoring for them. I don't know how many times I've seen someone with a mini and asked them about their choice of color, only to hear, "It was the only one they had."

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
When I bought my iPod Mini in June, I had called 11 Apple Stores (all in Southern California) without finding one. Some stores put me on a waiting list; some didn't have waiting lists. Two called me back eventually when they got a few in. In the meantime, I found mine at a college bookstore and I was lucky to find it, because they stayed scarce. I'm glad to hear that the problem will lessen.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
Finally! Not that I'm bashing a good product or anything, but I hope that they've gotten that earphone thing worked out on the newer batches.

hipvictor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2004
what about this...

I found this link while surfing macsurfer...

http://www.randommaccess.com/news/1095796972.shtml

>>>A Target employee told customers today that iPod minis with a 20GB capacity would be available in store by the end of October. "They're working on them now and we're just waiting for them to come in," he told shoppers, adding that iPods would be bumped up to 60-gig capacities. No information on pricing was available. As of this posting, neither Target nor Apple have responded to our requests for clarification.<<<<

dumb employee?

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Yup, went to an apple store an they said that they have all ipod mini colors in stock. Then, some heads turned, and once you know it, there was a long line of people buying ipod mini's.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
hipvictor said:

>>>A Target employee told customers today that iPod minis with a 20GB capacity would be available in store by the end of October. "They're working on them now and we're just waiting for them to come in," he told shoppers, adding that iPods would be bumped up to 60-gig capacities. No information on pricing was available. As of this posting, neither Target nor Apple have responded to our requests for clarification.<<<<

dumb employee?
I say hogwash. The iPod mini will be upgraded, but jumping from 4 GB to 20 GB when the smallest iPod is 20 GB makes no sense at all. Also, there's an article on MacRumors that suggests the 60 GB hard drives needed for a 60 GB iPod aren't ready for production yet.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
hipvictor said:

dumb employee?
retail stores are usually the last to know about a product update - you'll most likely hear about the release of an upcoming 60 gb iPod here before a Target employee knows.

hipvictor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2004
oh yeah...

I bought my silver mini at Fry's in Dallas on June 1st. During this serious shortage time, they had five silvers just chillin there on the shelf...no crowd around or anything! I was expecting to battle a hoard of soccer moms stocking up for Bastille Day gifts, but they weren't there!

I stopped by yesterday and they still had five silvers!

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
what about the rest of the apple stuff

What about the rest of the apple stuff, are we likely to see supply catch up demand. I ordered a dual 2.5 and 30" display in June, the display was delivered a month ago and now gathers dust waiting for the dual 2.5, which I've now been told will be October 15.

To add insult to injury I received not one but two promo emails today, saying that they were now available at the Applestore.

waterbouy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Chicargo, IL USA
Is the order Open still??

fatfish said:
What about the rest of the apple stuff, are we likely to see supply catch up demand. I ordered a dual 2.5 and 30" display in June, the display was delivered a month ago and now gathers dust waiting for the dual 2.5, which I've now been told will be October 15.

To add insult to injury I received not one but two promo emails today, saying that they were now available at the Applestore.
Fatfish, if the order is still in an Open status you can always call and cancel it, then head to the Apple Store for the CPU. At the very least they may offer you a discount to keep the order open - it has happened before...

- waiting for iMac 20" to arrive on Monday :)
- first new Mac since a Wallstreet PowerBook in May, 98
- buying iPod today !!! :D

woolman

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2004
Shipped overnight

Ordered a silver, with engraving, off the Apple site late yesterday. It shipped (from China) before I got into the office this morning.

Two weeks ago when I checked, the wait was two weeks.

PDubNYC

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
NYC
Does anyone know if Apple has in fact eliminated the earphone jack/static problem. I know it only affected about 1% of users, but that was some bad press.

whatever Doctor Q

appleguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2002
Auckland, NZ
Gee here in NZ (New Zealand) it is still hard to get our hands on them.
Some resellers still have like about 100 of each colour on back order

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
wrldwzrd89 said:
This is good news for everyone, since the iPod minis have been in such high demand, and will likely continue to be in high demand. I'm wondering what has changed in the supply chain to increase the supply so much.
Well everyone but me! :rolleyes: I bought two minis the second they were released in Europe, as I was unsure which colour I would prefer in real life. Stupidly I have sat on it a new in box pink mini and am only getting round to selling it now. :rolleyes:

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
hipvictor said:

dumb employee?
Surely he was referring the the regular 20GB iPod.

Here's a few retailer web sites I found that are carrying iPod/mini:

Target: 20 GB iPod for $299.99, 40 GB iPod for $399.99, and iPod mini for $249.99.

Costco, which has packages including the dock and 15 iTunes tracks for the 20 GB iPod ($329.99), 40 GB iPod ($399.99) and iPod mini ($269.99). Basically, you get the dock and 15 downloads for $30 on the 20 GB iPod, $20 on the iPod mini and free on the 40 GB iPod (if I'm reading it right).

Wal-Mart has the 20 GB and 40 GB iPod at about a $9 discount each, which works out to about $4 after shipping if you buy it online. (I'm assuming you'd get the full $9 discount in the store.)

I assume Apple must think their supply chain is in good shape if they're allowing these three retailers to move forward. These are probably three of the biggest mass retailers in the country, and that's in addition to all of the HP vendors that will be carrying the HP iPod.

Apple sold 860,000 iPods during the quarter ended June 26, 2004, and that was with major supply problems with the iPod and mini. I haven't heard any forecasts on how many units Apple could sell during the fourth quarter of this year, but I've got to think it will be 2.5 million or more including the HP iPod sales.

I am glad to see things improving, I saw at the NY Apple store that they had a lot of minis behind the counter. However in my experience it still has been a long wait for a mini, I wonder if Apple will report mini's and the normal iPods separately. I would be interested to see how many they have sold.

gojira

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
NYC
how many minis?

I was lucky enough to grab a green iPod mini from the Soho Apple Store back in the end of February for my girlfriend's birthday. I went back a few days later and they were all gone! She was very happy, BTW!

After that... nothing!

Recently, I've seen minis in stock and on shelves at several places in NYC. One was even at a photo supply store, which struck me as odd. I'm glad to finally see the minis flowing.