iPod...no longer cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
this kids point is that he thinks what his friends thinks. A girl said iPod are not cool. the kid was like ''o no people do not like what i like''. I think the Ipod is "cool". I also think tie-died shirts are "cool" "Cool" is what ever you like. i'll be using teh Ipod cuz it the best music player out there, Its that simple.

he also said that people like macs cuz the "cool" he said people like them over dells cuz the stiylsih. I like macs cuz tthere teh best computers. That the cold hard facts!

aristotle1990

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
well

i think the ipod is losing some popularity. having those white earbuds now marks you as a blend-in conformist, not a think-different kind of guy.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
iPod's are out for me, I like to be aware of my environment.

You would never see Shane wearing the white headphones

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So what kind of earbuds mark you as thinking different now? ;)

I think iPod still comes out on top. Especially since SOME people choose them for functionality and ease of use. Not to be "cool."

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
roadapple said:
iPod's are out for me, I like to be aware of my environment.
For running on the streets, I don't think it's safe to listen to anything; the whole, be aware of your surroundings. I still like iPods :D though, and I think they're fine if you're on a treadmill or running on a track.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i do see the "whole" iPod thing losing some steam. When they come out with new ones the new ones are but too much $$$. I think apple should have played they iPod fame card to get people to use macs, quicker. Apple triend the iMAc g5 was built like a big iPod but it really did not work. Im not sure where apple will be when iPods are ''Out''. BUT i will always keep my iPod perhaps not use it but keep it. It that iPods are not change and after a while pople get bored of the same thing. Im sure i'll be using iPod even less and less poeple have them.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
devilot76 said:
For running on the streets, I don't think it's safe to listen to anything; the whole, be aware of your surroundings. I still like iPods :D though, and I think they're fine if you're on a treadmill or running on a track.
iPod at the gym, library or on a plane, cool

iPod on the street or in general public settings, not cool and impolite

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
when i first got my Ipod i thought it was cool and differnt because know one knew what it was... But now everyone has one, so its not special anymore, but i still love it.... Come on apple new 5g Ipods with color screens and bluetooth ;) :D

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
jsw said:
How so? I don't see anything wrong with it....
Maybe on the bus or train, but not in line at the grocery store or bank, or anyplace you might need to interact with someone randomly. Your choice of music may be good, but is this the first and only chance you'll get?

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
I find it funny seeing friends sitting next to each other on a bus, both with iPods in and both talking. Now that is overkill!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I'm 2-seconds away from getting new head phones. I agree, they arean't cool anymore. They just "are", trust me, when your Mom know's about iPods, they aint cool.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I think some of this comes from the fact, that Apple hasn't done anything to "WOW" the iPod like it did last summer.

We saw the all new "click wheel" and the iPod Mini.

What have they done recently to the line (besides the shuffle) that has made it stand out from the last?

Mike

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
I think its time for updates, it's been needed for a while now, Apple can't survive a 6 month update period for the iPod with how the market is, I think updates should occur every 3 months, not on each line, but on various lines, say July would get regular iPod updates (all standard models now iPod photo/video models now), in Oct some iPod minis, as well as some price cuts, and in jan regular iPod updates as well as iPod shuffle updates

ph0rce

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
I think it is still cool, i mean, my 3G is still cool i think, it makes a noise so i am happy :) one of the earbuds is broken though :( oh well.... just have to get some more them :) i think they will do something big in Paris this year :) will be cool i think, video and a camera would be cool :) maybe the iTunes phone in paris :-D

wahooo my first post :-D

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
aristotle1990 said:
i think the ipod is losing some popularity. having those white earbuds now marks you as a blend-in conformist, not a think-different kind of guy.

Isn't that vaguely contradictory? I mean, if iPods are becoming conformist instead of unique, then surely that's an increase in popularity. :)

2GMario

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2004
blah

i dont live in a major city (nyc, toronto, etc...) but i dont think id wear a ipod on a subway

i do wear my ipod, with white head phones while roller blading on a local trail here in the suberbs, but i live in the safest suberb in all of the usa (so im told by the news), we have cops there, etc... im not concerned

as much is the ipod is for portable music thow, unless im roller blading, it sits comfortably in my arm rest of my car hucked up to my radio. nothing like all my music, when ever im in my car, which is alot.

define cool thow. its all in context. i have a nokia 9500 cell phone, which is a monster. people who see it and dont know think its old, or its been called the zack morris phone from saved by the bell

people who know like techs i work with, call it amazing (more or less a mini laptop)

its all perceived. would i buy anything else over a ipod ? probably not. is it the best on the market ? id like it to do video, but for music, yeah, i think so. is it cool ? im getting sick of the all white (ibook and ipod) but what ever. could allways send it to that color works place for a face lift.

2cents...
-Mario

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I know i still love my iPod, actually got it the same month i started datingg my girlfriend. November of '03 And i am still in love with it. Once the 5G iPod comes out, i am moving my 3G into the car just for the iPod adapter for my headunit while the 5G will be used for everything else.

But i have never cared about being "cool" Almost everything i enjoy, most people don't like around here.

I mean damn I am going to the Puffy AmiYumi concert in Boston and everyone laughs or giggles when i say it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I think the funny thing is... just about everything/everyone is cool... except those who ARE cool. What I mean: it's no longer cool to be cool. Hence, the huge indie/emo/ punk thing... the whole anti-mainstream is the cool way to be. Doesn't really work out as it has now become mainstream to be anti-mainstream. Man, did that even make any sense?! Sorry if it didn't. :eek:

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
i think it goes both ways... in school, everyone and their freakin' brother has one.. so your kinda with the "in" crowd... now out in public thats diff... say your on a train jammin' on on your cool new ipod... you take a seat... and like 20 sec later some hot chick walks by and sits near you and says "hey is that one of those ipod thing's????" and your like "o yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh"

ok a bit cliche... but still... lol :p

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
devilot76 said:
I think the funny thing is... just about everything/everyone is cool... except those who ARE cool. What I mean: it's no longer cool to be cool. Hence, the huge indie/emo/ punk thing... the whole anti-mainstream is the cool way to be. Doesn't really work out as it has now become mainstream to be anti-mainstream. Man, did that even make any sense?! Sorry if it didn't. :eek:
Ya it definitely makes sense... and it's so true!

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
devilot76 said:
yeah and if you say your into jazz... the person who asks the questions gets a confused look on their face... lol

Qunchuy

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
aristotle1990 said:
How can it be less popular because everyone else has one?

"Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore; it's too crowded."

Status
Not open for further replies.