MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret posts some last minute "reliable" confirmation of the long rumored iPod peripherals, which are potentially to be announced alongside iTunes for Windows today.

ThinkSecret confirms that the upcoming iPod peripherals will include a microphone and an image card reader.

A recent MacRumors Page 2 report previously detailed that one upcoming iPod peripheral would be an SD/CF memory card adapter for photos, while multiple reports have labeled the other peripheral as a microphone.

ThinkSecret also mentions an iPod Software update which will provided improved features and a new iPod game.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
the best part of this, potentially, is that i just got a digital camera with a CF card. too bad i'll never take 128 MB of pictures at a go....

Comment

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
hmmm If the card reader is true, that could open up a whole new type of POD-ipherals(though I'd give it a try)
still camera anyone?????

Comment

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I would LOVE the mic, it would come in so handy, but I have a 1st gen iPod. The thing is, it holds all the songs I have, and more. Only 2.71 GB, and to be honest, I don't think I'll ever need more than 5 simply because there are songs on there already that I could delete and not care in the least. Though I could use it as an external HD more to back up all my pictures, movies, etc. Sigh. Anyone want to trade a Dock iPod for a 1st gen? (ha)

Comment

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
How about a video camera attachment that records to the hard drive, I would use it:D

what kind of design or just fundamental issues could that present?

Comment

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
nice

i hope this one is true... I would love to carry my iPod with me to load my photos from my new canon digital eos!!! that will be so much easier than carrying the powerbook... Awesome. Although i do wish they were making an AV dock, it seems unlikely.:D

Comment

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
I'll be taking a trip to the Apple Store as soon as a mic is available, for recording college lectures.

I'll buy it either way, but here's what I'd REALLY like to see:

1) Form factor of the Navman GPS for Palm devices:
http://www.marcosoft.com/gps/Navman500/images/Navman_m500.jpg Replace the GPS antenna with a nice directional mic, using the iSight's patented 'noise reduction' technology.

2) The 'sled' would contain it's own extra Li-ion battery which basically operates like a belkin power pack (powers iPod)... I can't imagine how short the iPod battery life will be recording... it's barely acceptable just for playback.

3) Pass-through dock connector, for charging both the sled and ipod internal batteries without removing the 'sled.'

4) Not necessary -- But i'd like it to be a slim-enough sled that I can squeeze it into my Booq PodPaq014 along with my 15GB-er.

Lets hope, but I'm not expecting all 4!

Comment

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
cool!!, both the mic feature and image storage features would be very useful for me. Certainly a lot cheaper to use my iPod to backup photos from my camera than go out and buy a stack of memory cards. The mic could help turn the iPod into a more useful PDA too - simply say someone's new address when out and about, and then enter it into address-book when you get a chance.:)

Comment

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
About this whole iPod recording thing...

I just hope the quality isn't restricted to bitrates appropriate for a "voice memo". Recording lectures or "notes to self" are fine and all, but I'd also like to do some high-quality sampling and recording if I want.

Comment

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
They listened to me!

I've been asking for & posting for these two features since I got my iPod.

This last summer I took a trip to Thailand & found myself hunting all over for places to burn CD's of photos to free up & back up my memory card - all the while with my iPod on my hip.

The mic's a no brainer too. I don't know about compression, but if it were as good as mp3's, then 10,000 songs is about, what, 1,000 lectures or meetings? More than I'm going to listen to. Making it easy to get these things onto the Mac - and use iTunes to sort my lecture library. That rocks!

Now: let's hope it's true.

Comment

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
iPhone

With a little tweaking, the iPod may eventually become an iPhone. We might even add a camera. Hmm, what else can we stuff in there? Sort of tickles the imagination.

Comment

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by jimthorn
About this whole iPod recording thing...

I just hope the quality isn't restricted to bitrates appropriate for a "voice memo". Recording lectures or "notes to self" are fine and all, but I'd also like to do some high-quality sampling and recording if I want.

this is EXACTLY what im thinking! if it ends up just being a simple mono microphone attachment with no possible line in/mic in, im going to be so let down. even if the quality is high, if theyre going to add recording options they mine as well let us hook up a real nice microphone for sampling. please please please oh please!:eek: heres to hoping. :rolleyes:

Comment

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
remember people, that this is an audio device first and foremost. theres a lot of greatthings they could do for the iPod before they start trying to turn it into some overpriced all in one video-player or camera phone... that wouldnt make sense, and itd be a waste of a good product. besides, i dont think theyd be able to add video playback or phone components with just a peripheral. :rolleyes:

Comment

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Re: Apple needs video on their ipod.

Originally posted by reyesmac
Why cant Apple put animation on its iPod LCD?

Calling Dr. Obvious.

The iPod is supposed to be a portable music player. Ya'know, listen to music while you're doing other things. The point of the iPod's screen is information. Not to give you something to start at while you're stoned.

Don't you think you would look silly jogging through Central Park staring intently at the screen of the iPod in your hand? You would be worse then those folks who walk down the street carrying their Discmans in their hand horizontally, Their wrist raised halfway between their elbow and shoulder because they have lame anti-skip.

Also, what about folks driving?

A color screen wouldn't be a bad add-on accessory if the iPod had some video playback functions. But that's a tall order for a device meant to be a music player primarily.

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Mic-Only Recording = Lame. :(

Ahoy fellow Mac dorks.
Seriously, do we REALLY need (or even remotely want) a dictaphone with a 40G HD? Ok... why (and I'm not buying the "lectures" angle)?

While adding mic capabilities to the iPod would be a step in the right direction, it feels like a baby step... at best. Quite limiting. I'm more interested in a perf. that will offer some different audio I/O options... not just a mic. So that one could record audio from any number of sources (RCA, 1/8", S/PDIF, Optical, etc.). I also think it is key to be able to record uncompressed, stereo .aif files. If we see these capabilities in an iPod, it would instantly replace my Tascam DA-P1 as this field recordists' tool of choice.

Comment

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
I agree that the iPod could use video/picture display. Ever since it first came out, people pointed out that "Pod" doesn't limit the device to music.

An image card reader would be cool especially when traveling, though a little bit clunky compared to a straight usb connection (I've never had to take the memory card out of my camera). USB straight to cameras would probably require all kinds of crazy drivers though.

the big question is... will it DISPLAY pictures? For true integration there should really be an iPhoto update, so I'm thinking this is unlikely.

for the ultimate of what iPod could be, check out this product:
http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/DigitalMultimedia/FlashTrax.asp

it can view pictures/video/text files. even has a remote and video out to tv.

Tomorrow will still be a lot of fun though!

Comment

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Re: Apple needs video on their ipod.

Originally posted by reyesmac
Use the technology they are using for cellphones to make quicktime movies appear on the screen.

Anyone seen that video now product that is a video disc player for under $50? Why cant Apple put animation on its iPod LCD?

Heres a picture of the Video Now player.
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/07/69/30/73/0007693073122_500X500.jpg

The ipod is a great music player, let's keep it that way. The minute you start adding video to it, you start to make sacrifices technologically (iPod's battery wasn't designed for constant power drain from the disk. The device size would have to double for starters). Nothing else in tech history has lost so much money as convergence devices, not even the internet. You can choose to have a great music player or a video and music device that's not great at either.

Comment

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
one more thought...

It would be totally sweet if the iPod displayed the currently playing album art.

yes useless... but cool.:D

Comment

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Re: Mic-Only Recording = Lame. :(

Originally posted by lazyrighteye
Ahoy fellow Mac dorks.
Seriously, do we REALLY need (or even remotely want) a dictaphone with a 40G HD? Ok... why (and I'm not buying the "lectures" angle)?

While adding mic capabilities to the iPod would be a step in the right direction, it feels like a baby step... at best. Quite limiting. I'm more interested in a perf. that will offer some different audio I/O options... not just a mic. So that one could record audio from any number of sources (RCA, 1/8", S/PDIF, Optical, etc.). I also think it is key to be able to record uncompressed, stereo .aif files. If we see these capabilities in an iPod, it would instantly replace my Tascam DA-P1 as this field recordists' tool of choice.

Your ideas are really great, but since they'd be such a niche product, it really wouldn't be feasible just yet. For now, iPods are just high-quality, high-style MP3 player.

Besides,are you really going to be doing a whole lot of high-quality professional recording on the go?

That's not a rhetorical question, by the way. Would it really be that much use?

Comment

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Well, I for one hope that Apple uses the technology from the iPod to create the next iGadget. There is so much potential when you can carry that much info in that small size, they just need processors and batteries that can handle more powerful functions. I hope Apple eventually evolves the technology into a bigger range of iPod like devices that can be used for each of their iApps. Basically a device that is between a laptop and a portable hard drive that is priced more than a hard drive but less than a portable.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.