Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asal10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2020
Hello, I have an iPod photo (4th generation) that I am trying to replace the hard drive on. However, when I attempt to restore the iPod, after a few seconds the folder icon pops up and then iTunes notifies me that I have an iPod in recovery mode. I know that the micro sd card and adapters aren't faulty because when I plug the iPod in, it detects a removable drive and I am able to store files there. Also, for some reason, when I unlock the lock switch the screen goes dim and turns off. Does anyone know what could be causing these issues? Thanks!

philden

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I would leave it plugged in for several hours and make sure the battery is well charged.

asal10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2020
It seems that my battery only lasts 5 minutes so I'm going to try replacing it. Hopefully that works.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
The iPod usually has to format the hard drive. Be sure to format the card with iTunes/etc, not with the Finder or the Windows shell (ie: don't take the SD card out, stick it in a card reader, then erase it there).

If you're using a Mac you can plug the iPod in and format the drive using Disk Utility. Just don't do anything to the SD card directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.