Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c23roo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2004
My friend is getting a new iPod and I have the good fortune of inheriting his old one. Here's our question: when I get his iPod (which is full of songs by the way - which is why he's upgrading) - will I be able to remove some of his tunes and install my own, or am I stuck with his library? Also, can I transfer his iPod music back to my HD to free up space?

Sorry if these are simple questions but I can't seem to get answers anywhere. My friend seems to think I'll be stuck with his music. Not a big deal, really, but I would really like to get some of my own stuff on there.

Another question - I'm a recent switcher from PC - how do I get my mp3 files onto my iBook (can this be done?).

Thanks a million.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Check out the iPodlounge iPod faq, which should help you with a lot of these questions...

http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs.php

But in brief:

- You can use the latest iPod updater to clean up the iPod. Basically it will re-install the software and delete all the songs. See here:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/faqs_more.php?id=98_0_10_0_C

- If you want to download your friends songs off his iPod onto your computer, it is possible to do with some third-party software (there are links on iPodlounge). Keep in mind that, assuming your friend bought this music and still has his own copies of it, this is *illegal*. Just for the record... :(

- If you want to transfer MP3s from your Win computer to your iPod, probably the easiest way is to burn all of them on a CDR as MP3 files (not audio tracks), take it to your Apple, and import them into iTunes. If you are able to network the PC and mac together that would be another easy way (just navigate iTunes to the PC's disk and import the songs, and iTunes will copy them into the library on the mac).

Enjoy your iPod!!! :)

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
If you have an external hard drive, you could move your PC's audio files onto that and then move them from the external hard drive onto your iBook. I wouldn't delete your friends music though but instead move it onto your computer to expand your library.

Another question:

Does anyone know of a program that will let you drag the files from your iPod mini to your PC or Mac? Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
c23roo said:
My friend is getting a new iPod and I have the good fortune of inheriting his old one. Here's our question: when I get his iPod (which is full of songs by the way - which is why he's upgrading) - will I be able to remove some of his tunes and install my own, or am I stuck with his library?

Yes, just connect the iPod to your computer, launch iTunes and select the songs/albums from the iPod you want to remove and hit delete. If you want to delete everything do as what was said in the prior post... use the updater to have a clean reformat the iPod.

Another question - I'm a recent switcher from PC - how do I get my mp3 files onto my iBook (can this be done?).

The easiest way to copy files over from your PC to your iBook would be to have both machines on a home network and copy them over that way. Alternatively, like was said, you can use CD-Rs/CD-RWs or and external drive to transfer your files over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.