Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPod Retail Expansion

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
51,014
12,553
One reader notes that on the Back Page of the A Section of the Washington Post, there is a large Hecht's advertisement for the Apple iPod.

Hecht's is one of the department stores of the May Company.

ThinkSecret had noted that Apple was seeking to expand their iPod retail presence even further. Apple has recently reintroduced their products into select Best Buy stores, and presently sells their iPod in Target stores.
 

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
148
20
What an odd choice of stores. I didn't even know Hecht's sold electronics.

EDIT: But now that I go to their site, I guess they do. Still, weird.
 
Comment

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
617
0
Seattle,WA
Originally posted by moosecat
What an odd choice of stores. I didn't even know Hecht's sold electronics.

EDIT: But now that I go to their site, I guess they do. Still, weird.

It seemed strange to me at first too but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Apple wants to be plastered across every mall in the country come Christmas season.
 
Comment

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
388
16
iPodlounge has rumors of iPods ready to be sold at Strawbridges Department Stores as well.
 
Comment

m,tz206

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
8
0
New York City
Originally posted by moosecat
What an odd choice of stores. I didn't even know Hecht's sold electronics.

EDIT: But now that I go to their site, I guess they do. Still, weird.

It's not that weird. Culturally, the iPod has become a symbol of status as much as an electronic tool. Selling it in department stores and upscale clothiers helps Apple reach the "trend-watching" segment.
 
Comment

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,106
19
Originally posted by m,tz206
It's not that weird. Culturally, the iPod has become a symbol of status as much as an electronic tool. Selling it in department stores and upscale clothiers helps Apple reach the "trend-watching" segment.

Yuppers. Makes a lot of sense to me, as I don't think those upscale retailers take as much of a chunk out of the margins as other sellers.
 
Comment

MisterMD

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2003
1
0
Delaware, USA
Originally posted by azdude
iPodlounge has rumors of iPods ready to be sold at Strawbridges Department Stores as well.

This is true - I was in the Strawbridges at Christiana Mall (Delaware) two weekends ago, and there was a partially constructed display advertising the iPod and other types of consumer electronics that they're going to start selling soon (at least my impression is they're going to start selling them soon).
 
Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
5,889
0
Chicago, IL
If Apple is going after places like Target they NEED cheaper devices. $300 as a baseline system is too much. Drop a 10GB drive in a $200 system and watch them fly off the shelf at Target.

$300 will give more then a few people pause for thought as then glance over at the $150 $199 devices on the shelf next to it.
 
Comment

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
1,165
0
In my head
Where is the logic in dropping specs and prices to attract more custom? It is already the best selling tootie on the block right now and the future is in more functions for the same high price. IMO that is what I would do.
 
Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
5,889
0
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by billyboy
Where is the logic in dropping specs and prices to attract more custom? It is already the best selling tootie on the block right now and the future is in more functions for the same high price. IMO that is what I would do.

I would point you to the Palm Zire as an indication that not everyone cares about high end devices. The Zire is flying off the shelf simply because it does the basics of the PDA and is $99.

Now look at the iPod. As a individual unit iPod is the top selling device on the market, but as I pointed out in the past it only encompasses about 27% of the market. Who do you think owns the other 73% Cheaper devices. I know that Apple could draw a larger audience if they had a cheaper device. Most of the people I know, and I've asked them about this, aren't interested in keeping their entire collection with them but enough to keep them going through the day something a 5GB or 10GB drive would easily do.
Apple can keep marketing its devices as high end systems but guess what? Not every kid or college student has $300 to blow on an iPod. Like it or not there IS a market for low end devices something Apple doesn't cater to and will lose valuable potential sales because of.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.