iPod shuffle dissected


Hodapp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
579
32
New York, NY
I love seeing the innards of electronic devices.

It's not a matter of more money than sense, it's a matter of seeing how something works, or how it is put together- and being the first person on the internet to post pictures of the process.

Besides, it's only $100, and from the looks of it, there's no reason he couldn't put it back together and have it work again.
 

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
519
0
don't try this at home kids

io_burn said:
...snip...Besides, it's only $100, and from the looks of it, there's no reason he couldn't put it back together and have it work again.
He snapped the ribbon cable to the USB plug and he killed the touchpad membrane:( ... it won't ever be as good as new again.

Definitely a case of look before you leap, poor sod, rich kid or whatever :D

PS Bring on the Mac mini :D :D
 

Hodapp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
579
32
New York, NY
Meh, I don't know, I still thought it was interesting... But I'm in to stuff like that. :D

My first instinct when I get anything new is "Let's take it apart and see how it works!!"

Within reason, obviously, but it doesn't hurt when other people do the dirty work. :D
 

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
589
121
Lisbon, Portugal
Oh, come on... It could've been worse... At least the guy picked the 512MB model :D

He should have uncovered the memory chip so we could see it, though. Ah, this reminds me of something...
http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

You know, someone had to post a link to this, it's like the "What? no G5 PowerBook??" whining... :rolleyes:

One down, one to go... (someone will eventually dissect a Mac mini :p)
Anyway, time to give another look at this "nerd porn" LOL
 

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
519
0
SiliconAddict said:
You ain't kidding. I can't wait to see one of those dissected. I'm going to be very interested in seeing what in the mini can be hacked.
Me too, but I won't be first posting pictures, mine's a few months down the road. How soon before Tiger is launched and it makes it onto the Mac mini?
 

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
5,889
0
Chicago, IL
24C said:
Me too, but I won't be first posting pictures, mine's a few months down the road. How soon before Tiger is launched and it makes it onto the Mac mini?

ditto. No point in getting the Mini now just to have to pay for Tiger in a few months. :D
 

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
1,258
1
Stavanger, Norway
One thing strikes me as strange..

with that huge battery, shouldn't it be able to hold power for more than 12 hours?

Almost seems as if Apple has crippled it just to be able to sell the battery peripheral.. then again, if that's the case they could have just used a smaller battery. :eek:
 

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
3,386
130
Purcellville, VA
io_burn said:
I love seeing the innards of electronic devices.

It's not a matter of more money than sense, it's a matter of seeing how something works, or how it is put together- and being the first person on the internet to post pictures of the process.
I also like looking inside devices, but if the person writing the article wasn't able to put it all back together good as new, then the experiment was a failure, IMO.

I'm only interested in seeing take-apart articles when no damage is caused and everything can be reassembled.

What if someone in the future decides to use this article as a reference for changing the battery? It wouldn't do him any good, since his iPod would be trashed afterwards.
io_burn said:
Besides, it's only $100, and from the looks of it, there's no reason he couldn't put it back together and have it work again.
It looks like he permanently damaged the seal around the control disc. Maybe he can re-attach it, but we won't know because he didn't write that part of the article.

It also looks like he tore the ribbon cable to the USB connector.
 

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
3,386
130
Purcellville, VA
SiliconAddict said:
You ain't kidding. I can't wait to see one of those dissected. I'm going to be very interested in seeing what in the mini can be hacked.
Well, the first two photos (the lid removed and a motherboard) are on Apple's web site, over here.

A MacInTouch article about the mini discusses this somewhat. According to one person's conversation with an Apple employee, it has a flex/snap-fit enclosure (no screws.) A special tool is used to move several plastic "fingers" out of the way and then the top cover lifts off.

Also, scroll down to the "other comments" section, where someone witnessed an actual take-apart.

And for those who want to upgrade the RAM on their own and save some money, Apple has said that doing this will not void your warrantee, as long as you don't break anything in the process.
 

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
460
0
24C said:
He snapped the ribbon cable to the USB plug and he killed the touchpad membrane:( ... it won't ever be as good as new again.
Let this be a lesson to us all... that curiosity killed the cat. Fools rush in where angels dare to tread. Haste makes waste. You snooze you lose. :p
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
Poff said:
with that huge battery, shouldn't it be able to hold power for more than 12 hours?
Someone got over 15 hours from his on the first charge. I don't remember where I saw it, but I think it was here somewhere.