Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
yeah so what FREE apps are there out there that will aid me on transferring music from my ipod to my mac hardrive?

thanks

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
thanks man.

i downloaded the ollie one.

now i cant figure out how to get into firewire disk mode on my ipod. i know you get there through ipod prefrences on itunes but i cant find that option in prefrences. is there a certain ipod update that i need?

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2003
so i'm really concerned about this issue, since my iPod is on the way and this sounds like kind of an annoying thing to deal with.

are these programs only necessary to move iTunes songs from the iPod back onto the mac, or do you need them even for moving standard mp3 files back and forth?

i have a voluminous mp3 collection (backed up enormous cd collection ;) ) and think this sounds pretty annoying. i would hope to be able to move my music back and forth from the iPod to my HD without using a 3rd-party program.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
well, apple had to cripple (or at least make it not too obvious) the ability to move songs from iPod to computers for a reason: piracy. what's to prevent anyone and everyone from having an iPod party and downloading everyone else's music onto their laptop?

iPod, however, is a FW HD at the core, so there are ways around this, of course...

basically:

if the music can be played on the iPod (i.e. loaded to iPod via iTunes), then you need a 3rd party app to move them back to the computer. if the music is simply stored on the iPod in the FW disk mode, then it's just drag and drop back to the computer. no dependence on the format of the music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.