ipod touch 5– post your suggestions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adildacoolset, May 12, 2012.

1. adildacoolset, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 12, 2012

adildacoolset macrumors 65816

So, the ipod touch 5g is coming up in a few months. No reason not to speculate. Feel free to post your suggestions. Here are mine:
    - Die-shrunken A5 processor(A5X with quad-core graphics if lucky)
    - Improved camera, probably a 5MP isight without flash(Maybe we will, so it can be a decent photography device)
    - I'd say 50-50 for a bigger screen. If they do, 4" at max.
    - Hopefully an IPS retina display. I've got a good feeling about that.
    - VGA front camera. There I said it.
    - I seriously doubt that there'll be 3G. I may be wrong, and I hope I'm wrong.
    - Thickness might be very similar. Slightly more or less. I hope it actually becomes slightly thicker.
    - RAM would probably be 512MB. Not that I'd care, but I just mentioned it.
    - I'm confident that Siri will come. It's undoubtably the future of iOS.

Post your thoughts.

2. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

3. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Apple's margin on the iPod touch is tiny compared to an iPhone so don't expect any major upgrades
    -A5
    -512mb ram
    If the iPhone gets a bigger screen the iPod touch might too. But that is 50/50
    overall similar form factor.

All Apple needs the iPod touch to be is a crippled iPhone so people will eventually upgrade to buying an iPhone. iPod touch sales are down.. So don't expect a huge refresh. People are looking to having 1 phone to do everything. not a smartphone and an ipod touch :p

4. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Apple was really disappointing with last year refresh and I think this year new model will be no different. I mean, they'll upgrade some specs (slightly more RAM and a really tiny-little-better back camera) with nothing more. iOS it's all about the iPhone and the iPad now, even if we don't like it. I have a 2g iPod touch and I'd really like to upgrade but if Apple doesn't get it right this year I think I'll save up and go for an iPhone.

PS. Forget about 3G -- what's the point of having it on an iPod? I mean, if you want a data plan, then go buy yourself an iPhone.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The very bare minimum that I want is a A5 at 32nm, but what I want them to do is this:

4.4 inch 1440x960 IPS display (to be honest, anything larger than 3.5)
    A6 at 32nm w/ quad-core Cortex A9, either faster clocked dual-core graphics or lower clocked quad-core graphics
    More battery life, thicker.

6. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Wishful thinking. I would love that. But I'm thinking that they WILL add a 32nm dual-core processor. Just a question of if it'll be the A5X or A5. I'm hoping it's the A5X. And I'm suggesting a 5MP isight camera(maybe 8) and maybe flash(or not.) Thicker, I do hope. So they can add a monster battery like the new ipad, and combined with a 32nm processor, it can give a substantial increase in battery life.

----------

I've also got an ipod touch 2g. It really pissed be off that the upgrade was just a paint job :rolleyes:

I want 3g because I'm one of those people who are too young for a phone(15 years old) and still want internet around the city where I go. LTE if lucky, but that doesn't matter because it's not there in my country

----------

Sales are down because their upgrade was a mere paintjob. I also believe siri will come. Why? Because Apple made it a flagship feature for the iphone 4S so to attract more sales so as not t discourage people from buying it because then all they would have done in 1 and a half years was speed and a camera. Now when the next iphone comes out with a total redesign, it will no longer be the case. So they might implement it in the new products.

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm hoping they'll mirror what they do with the iPhone. Prior to the release of the iPad 3, developers found references in the latest iOS beta to a quad-core A6, so I think it's a possibility that we see a quad-core Cortex A9 at 32nm with the iPhone 5, and hopefully in the iPod touch 5 too.

For the iSight camera 1.5-2MP would be good, and 3MP would be sufficient.

8. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

It's possible that the quad-core references would be because of apple tests. It's also possible that we'll see an A6 processor in the next iphone. At the same time, even if it does come, I doubt that it'll come with the ipod touch. But I really do hope that they make the next ipod touch exactly an iphone without a phone.

If apple manage to add a 5MP camera to an ipad, where it's waaay more than enough(noo-one in the right mind photographs from a tablet), I hope we'll see a 5MP isight with 1080p video recording

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Exactly they were testing it, but for what? It didn't come out in the iPad, so it's got to be for the iPhone I reckon.
    Is the iSight the rear camera? In that case, yes a 5MP camera would be ideal. I'm thinking of the front camera.

10. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

The iphone I guess would be launched in between october and july. Since some parts are already surfacing, my bet is that it's already in production. So we might see an early release. WWDC 2012 would be a bit early, but we may see a surprise. I'd say in september/october. Then maybe they can get a quad-core chip in the iphone and get people anticipating it in the ipad.
    And they can probably get it in the ipod touch maybe the next ear. I doubt this year. But we might see a surprise.

----------

Yes, it's the rear camera. A front camera of 5MP is mad. I would even suggest maybe 8MP camera

11. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah it's probably in production or will be in the next month or two at most. They may debut it at WWDC 2012 for release a month later, etc.
    Haha... I want a 24MP front camera! (Jokes)

12. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

I'd be grateful for a minimum 16gb ssd, modest processor upgrade, at least 3mp back camera. The days of the Touch being a lesser version of the current iphone are over, I think. The supply chain will continue to provide parts for the lesser version of the previous iteration iphone and that is what the next touch will likely be built from, parts for the the iphone 4. Which would still be a great device. Mind you, I am using a 1g touch 8gig. ios 5? I'm stuck at ios 3!

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Since when is 15 too young for a phone? An iPod Touch isn't that far off a phone anyway, if you get 3G on it then there's minimal difference between having an iPod Touch or a proper phone.

14. xyzzy' macrumors newbie

My Suggestions For The New Ipod

A 5" Screen With 1920X1200 HD retina Display , The Latest IOS with an 8 MP I Sight camera and a 2 MP Front facing Camera, memory 40 GB and 80GB.. A Stylus Pen , SIRI, 7x Graphics just like that of Iphone 4s I Life apps, blue tooth 4.0 , NFC , Smart Stay (just like that in Galaxy S3) and a Projector!! This stuff is gonna be awesome!!!! and all this starting at the same price as that of the prev gen. that'll be a huge hit!!! trust me!!!

15. Bear macrumors G3

16. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Apple could reveal the next ipod touch in the upcoming event ? WWDC at June.I am thinking to buy myself and ipod touch but ı am not sure what to do ? Should ı wait for it ? What is the percentage that they will reveal ipod touch 5 th generation on june event ?

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I thought so also but there have been no Touch rumors at all since October of last year. If we don't see a true Touch upgrade by Sept / Oct of this year, I would have to agree with the people who are saying the Touch is being phased out (i.e. I'm starting to get very pessimistic).

The 7" mini iPad would not be a valid replacement for my touch since I would be unable to carry it in my pocket.

----------

September / October if they do it at all.

18. kaydot macrumors regular

We need a 128 Gig option. That's all that's really been needed since 2010.

Upgrade anything else you like, but please give me more space!

19. easy4lif macrumors regular

easy4lif

iPod touch sales are down simply because it's the same model from 2010, only difference is a white option was made.

Last rumor posted was about a iPod touch reference number5,1 being found in the latest iOS software so a new one is def in the works

Besides the ipod touch is the gateway drug. Today's kids & pre teens that have a touch will be tomorrows iPhone users

----------

From 9to5mac,

"Apple is working on a fifth-generation iPod touch that is labeled iPod 5,1 internally. We haven’t heard any specifics regarding the new iPod touch hardware, but the jump from 4,1 (the current internal iPod touch label) to 5,1 indicates major internal changes, at the very least."

20. adildacoolset thread starter macrumors 65816

Just buy yourself a galaxy note. Some of us want a good, subtle device that isn't an aircraft carrier. Why would you want a projector? 1920x1200 is simply not needed. You won't even notice the difference because the existing display is a retina display. And why a 2mp front camera? a 720p camera is more than enough.

21. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

- very well-said

My wishlist:

- first and foremost - a GPS receiver (hopefully that would not affect thickness - which currently is fine)
    - greatly improved back camera - possibly the same as on the 4S
    - faster processor
    - 126 GB of memory

22. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

All I really want is an A5 and at least 512mb of ram. A better camera would be nice too. I try to keep my expectations low. Especially when it comes to apple stuff.

23. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

24. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

What do you mean by this? The iPod Touch has had bluetooth since 2nd gen.

25. brian017 macrumors regular

What are the chances of a FM radio like the Nano?