iPod Touch: State of the Jailbreak as of 09/24/2007

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by webteeth, Sep 24, 2007.

1. webteeth macrumors member

webteeth

Hey:

I just thought you guys would find this article interesting on the state of the iPod touch jailbreak: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/24/ipod-touch-state-of-the-jailbreak/.

I sure hope the iPod touch is jail broken in the near future, as this would turn the iPod into more of a pda than a music player. Just imagine being able to run all of the iPhone's applications on it, like mail, stocks, adding calendar events.. mmmm...

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It seems like they're slowly chipping away. No clear direction yet, but sooner or later someone will make a major break that will get things going...

It would be nice if some anonymous Apple engineer sent them the decryption key.

3. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Give them time. Its coming

You can always freeze yourself like Cartman.:)

4. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

I can't wait! I just got mine; are iPhone apps working on iPod touch as well?

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How about we post something when someone actually JAILBREAKS their iPod!

6. Laurent macrumors regular

Laurent

That would be kind of boring...

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Maybe because some people are curious about the current progress?

8. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

And it saves us from the hundreds of "Is it jailbreaked yet?" posts :)

9. infosprt macrumors regular

For the life of me I don't know why people are so interested in hacking their new iPod touch or iPhone. After all they paid good money for something that could very well be without a warranty (if hacked) and the security of their programs left to the mercy of the hackers.

Who would you rather trust, a large team of top notch programmers and testers at Apple or a small camp of people bent on breaking the device.

10. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I don't agree with this sentiment at all.

I got an iPod Touch and it's annoying to know what power it has that Apple has turned off so as to not canabalise iPhone sales (which are stupidly priced in the UK).

I'm just waiting for them to put Mail and the proper Calendar program on it.

12. Project macrumors 68020

The iPhone is cheaper in the UK than in the States

13. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I don't believe that's true, and even if it were, 200 minutes and 200 texts for £35/month + £269?

Who do they think they're kidding? I pay that now and get 500 minutes, 500 texts, tied in only for 1 year, and got a 3G phone for free.

It's a nice phone but it's silly money.

14. awmazz macrumors 65816

Maybe so I can actually USE it to do things, instead of just listening to and looking at it.

PS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the warranty is only void if the iPhone is unlocked, not jailbreaked. The iPod touch doesn't need to be unlocked, so no problems, no?

15. thegrue macrumors member

£269 is less than $399US? What colour is the sky in your fantasy world?

16. thegrue macrumors member

Don't kid yourself, the programmers and testers at Apple are as human and disillusioned as anyone.

17. Project macrumors 68020

States
    $399
    $60 x 24 months
    Total = $1,840

UK
    £269
    £35 x 18 months
    Total = £899

£899 - $1,817

Plus the US iPhone does not include sales tax. It gets added on at the point of sale.

Do you get unlimited data with your phone?

And merely saying you have a 3G phone makes zero difference and is quite a ridiculous statement to make. There are plenty of cheap and cheerful 3G phones. Does your 3G phone have a 3.5" multitouch high PPI screen? Does it have Wifi and a full web browser? Does it have 8GB built in?

Sure the iPhone is expensive. But guess what? It costs more to make than most phones.

18. Project macrumors 68020

No need to be a dick about it. Read my above post.

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Sure, all these extra things are nice, but the point is that it's a PHONE and at £35/month to get 200 minutes is a joke and is a deal breaker.

20. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Those plans you are comparing don't match, you are comparing 200 minutes in the UK vs 450 minutes in the States.

Edit: And looking at it closer, also 5000 evening and weekend minutes are included in the US on the basic plan?

21. Project macrumors 68020

Unlimited data comes as part of the contract so you can't really split it out and label it a joke just because it doesn't fit your needs

I think everybody wants more minutes and texts, and from what I was hearing from the O2 rep today they have room to negotiate on that (just call up to get a better deal). But seeing as your existing contract probably doesnt come with unlimited data, you cant compare it to the iPhones contract.

The real question is whether O2/Apple should be offering deals without unlimited data, and make up for it with greater minutes and texts. This is a case where Apples notorious insistence on simplicity and lack of options has come to bite you on the ass. Consider this is how a lot of Windows users feel when they don't see the Mac that is right for them on a performance/$ ratio.

22. Project macrumors 68020

AT&T count incoming calls as minutes too and have no free Wifi hotspot access like we do in the UK with the Cloud.

The contracts do not match in everything, so I was merely going by price. Both their contracts and ours have pluses and minuses.

23. thegrue macrumors member

The iPhone + plan is marginally cheaper (until the dollar sinks further into the toilet). The iPhone itself is quite a bit more expensive in the UK.

24. Project macrumors 68020

Only because of tax.

You can't hold Apple responsible for the Governments monetary policies. the iPhone is one of the cases where there isnt much of an Apple tax by buying in the UK

Price before VAT in the UK is £220, about $440. An Apple tax of £20 that is somewhat justified by how much more expensive it is to do business in the UK.