iPod Users Go Into the Closet

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I do the same thing half the time... However, I jog with my earbuds on since I don't want to spend money on another pair simply because the ones I have are white. Seems like a waste of money...

MoparShaha

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I'm the same. I use black Sony in-ear headphones, and my iPod is shrouded in a black evo2 case. I don't want people to know I have something so expensive on me.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
When I get an iPod, I'll use the white ones for portability and convenience, and my Sennheiser folding headphones for better sound and when walking alone down dark alleys :)

And I can understand not wanting to "show off," too. I occasionally have a legtimate need to use my PowerBook in public--and I feel self-conscious even when it's a secure place and I'm with friends.

Luckily iPods are getting cheaper and more common, so the show-off factor is less. I certainly wouldn't spend money to replace my white buds JUST to hide my iPod. Sound or security are better reasons.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i always use my ipod earphones and are proud of em , sound is good so why should i pay for another pair of headphones just so people will not think i have a ipod in my pocket.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I do use the white "earpieces" ... I bought the in-ear one as as soon as they came out, it's not a matter of "Hey look I have an iPod", it's a matter of listening better, the old pieces got in the laundry machine and those in-ear are better for me... it's a matter of taste!

Hey, I won't use my rolex, I don't want to be walking propaganda, I use better an old casio and removed the brand :rolleyes: :eek:

What about my pants? and shoes?, maybe there is no comparison, but there are a lot of pieces which became an icon in the community... Mobile phones, anyone?

maybe it's just my mood ;)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
AmigoMac said:
Hey, I won't use my rolex, I don't want to be walking propaganda, I use better an old casio and removed the brand :rolleyes: :eek:

What about my pants? and shoes?, maybe there is no comparison, but there are a lot of pieces which became an icon in the community... Mobile phones, anyone?
Well, since you've brought it up:

Watch - Casio
Shoes - 'Generic' (actually Body Glove brand, but they're really cheap so let's just say generic)
Pants - 'Unbranded' (on all my pairs the label gets covered by my belt)
Belt - I don't think anyone will be looking closely enough to care :rolleyes:
Phone - Cheap Alcatel
Shirts - Generic cheap stuff again
Hoodies - See 'shirts'

That's about it :)

I wonder what kind of replies this'll get :eek: :rolleyes:

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
emmm, I'm pretty *generic*, my post above was pointing the high popularity of the iPod and the influence in the society, at the end of the day, I don't think I'm the guy you could note in the crowd and don't care about it.

and the rolex line was an example, I won't buy one, I could buy more RAM with that ;) ... Phones, yes, they became an icon and I think the % of people who worry about what for an MP3 player, it's the same (even more) % of people who worry for a mobile phone...

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
What's wrong with Casio watches?

Mine has solar panels (to recharge the battery), can store 5 dates, 30 phone numbers, lots of different time zones, automatic back lighting and more.

Back to the iPod, If I had one I would wear the white ear buds.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Well part of the article talks about how many Mac users use Macs because they want to be independent. They purposely go against the grain to be non-conformists. I think that's fairly accurate of many Mac users, especially the ones who talk about how the shiny logo on their Powerbooks get them so much attention as Apple doesn't have a big marketshare, so fair enough.

However, I generally think that if you're going out of your way to be a non-conformist, then you follow trends as much as anyone. The difference is that you follow the trends, but do the opposite. To do this, you still need to notice such things, which doesn't make you so independent. Me.....I don't know the trends, and don't follow. There's a big difference. So iPod users who purposely go out and do the opposite of what everyone else is doing, going out and buying a non-white pair of earbuds just so that people don't think you're "just another iPod user" ......well, that's pretty lame. :eek:

Sorry if I'm talking about you. :D

PS: The new Timex watches with the sporty strap (ie: the strap with the large holes/vents) is very cool for sports guy because it's such a functional thing. Never diss cheap-o watches. :cool:

Blaaze

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
I understand and agree with the sentiment in the article. I would best explain it as, you want to be different, but once everybody else is different too, you have to be different again.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Blaaze said:
I understand and agree with the sentiment in the article. I would best explain it as, you want to be different, but once everybody else is different too, you have to be different again.
Yup, that is indeed the basic point of the article. And it is true for some people.
Personally, I use my iPod mostly in my truck (with a cassette adapter), or in my office at work (with the Altec Lansing InMotion speakers). I don't use earbuds all that often, but when I do, I use the ones that came with the iPod. Why? Because they sound okay, and there's no need to change them just so you can be a stealthy iPod user. That being said, I am sometimes very conscious of people watching me because of the earbuds.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
awulf said:
What's wrong with Casio watches?
There is nothing wrong with casio, I have one too, as I have an iPod and don't need to tell everyone, I mean, a theory of that article is

-There are people who think other people will complain about them if they own an iPod , it reminds me the thread where a guy doesn't want a Mac because of politics :eek:

-There are people who need a display on the t-shirt showing the song they are listening to, and if it comes with visualizer ... nice!

-There are people with big "I use an iPod" face but want to look shy when someone discovers the toy they use...

The article gives no information that could help to the wellness of society... I won't care about it. Period.

EDIT: Now, what will happen when apple reaches the majority of the market? are people going to paste duct tape on the shiny apple? :confused: :eek: :mad: ... as before said... LAME!

I could understand people who want new ear-buds because of sound quality but the rest... :rolleyes:

macnulty

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2003
Rehoboth Beach, De
Interesting article but to go against the trend to be non-comformist is itself conforming rather then just doing what you want regardless of which way the wind is blowing. To change your behavior because of what over people think? How lame is that, especially over earbuds. I was also disappointed that in one of the greatest cities in the world, people can't find much else to do then this: "Most people I know are so in love with theirs that they spend weekends hanging out at the Apple store in SoHo stocking up on accessories"

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I use the white ear buds and a cheap black one. The white ones are used when I have nothing to fear about theft. The Black ones I use when I go on the street for my photo shoots. It is bad enough have a satchel, or camera around the neck. Adding white earbuds just seems to scream "I have something you want".

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
macnulty said:
Interesting article but to go against the trend to be non-comformist is itself conforming rather then just doing what you want regardless of which way the wind is blowing. To change your behavior because of what over people think? How lame is that, especially over earbuds.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but you said it better. Nice. :p

Rocket Rion

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Austin
This is the silliest article I've ever read about Apple. Do Mercedes drivers disguise their car as a Saturn? What's wrong with people?!

2GMario

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2004
unfortunatly, what the article fails to address, while there are people out there (myself included) who like to customize thier "things" to not be the same as everyone else, that customization puts that person into another class of people in itself

its rare that i take my ibook anywhere public, but it does happen and it bothers me that on the surface its the same as every other ibook

the other day to fix this, i took apart the screen and colored the glowing apple blue. just something little to not be stock, to stand out

me and my friend argue about this all the time, and while a watch was ment to tell the time, his casio is damn ugly, while both my Diesel watch and my Momo Design Essential watch (forgot how to spell it in italian) allways get comments from people who know about design and style.

bottom line, it comes down to peoples personal taste. you either like something a little flashy, or as long as it does its job, you'd rather not be bothered.

since it was brought up above, il add mine to give another end of the spectrum

Watch - A Diesel watch for casual and a Momo Design watch for dress events
sun glasses - 2 pairs of oakley's, 1 orange, 1 blue, both silver frames. wire 2.0 thier called.
Shoes - average mostly, nike sneakers, leather sandels, nun bush dress shoes, skechers casual
Pants - mix of ambercromie and Mexx (sold in toronto, montreal, definately not in buffalo)
Belt - Stones from montreal
Phone - nokia 3650
Shirts - mix of express for men and banana republic, mexx, tristan and america, club monico (toronto, montreal)
Hoodies - 1 from old navy, old, only worn while changing oil in winter in garage or shouveling snow.

-2GMario

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Rocket Rion said:
This is the silliest article I've ever read about Apple. Do Mercedes drivers disguise their car as a Saturn? What's wrong with people?!
hmm i haven't heard about 1 mercedes owner who bought a mercedes because it was 'hip' or somehow 'special'

Bendit

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Rocket Rion said:
some people don't want others to think they are just using the iPod because it's trendy or they don't want to get it stolen.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
If I take my iPod anywhere I actually use The Earbuds -- they are kind of uncomfortable, but they have decent sound and they didn't cost anything extra.

I have some circumaural Realistica Nova 40 headphones for home use (when I don't just hook up to a stereo); the sound is comparable to the earbuds but the headphones are more comfortable; problem is, they're rather massive (not being designed for mobile listening, but rather for durability it seeems) so I don't take them anywhere.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nermal said:
Well, since you've brought it up:
Watch - none... my band broke and I'm waiting to get an iPod with a clock :)

Shoes - Payless all the way!

Sunglasses - whatever was on the rack and fit my head cheap. I'll only lose them anyway.

Phone - No mobile. And when I DO get one, it will always be on vibrate. I don't feel the need to annoy everyone just to show off every time my phone rings.

Shirts - So old I don't even know... whatever they are, they last!

Pants - Oh, no. ****! Not AGAIN!

Belt - None today. See above. (Plus I can't imagine actually knowing the brand of a belt :) )

Back later. I have to run home for a minute.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
So how long is it before someone is OG because they've got one with a mechanical wheel?