Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
My iPod will not mount. I've tried restarting the computer and I also tried unplugging/plugging back the firewire cord. Nothing...Is this a 10.3.1 problem? It use to mount when I had 10.3...

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I was nervous for a second, because I hadn't used my iPod after the 10.3.1 update. However, after plugging it in, my iPod mounted just fine. I don't think it's a 10.3.1 issue then. I would do a complete back up of all my stuff and then do a clean install.

Hey maybe your FW cable has gone daft?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
will it just not mount as a disk, or will iTunes not see it? if it's the former, recheck the settings for "use as disk" or whatever, they may have reverted to default. either way repairing permissions can't hurt. i shouldn't think a hardware issue would be coincidentally occurring right as you update the OS, so i would say it's probably 80% chance of software issue.

pnw

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
iTunes can't see it either and it cannot be the cord because it still charges when it is plugged in.
I'm not going to do a clean install just cause my iPod won't mount..There must another way..

it doesn't even go to the DO NOT DISCONNECT screen. just the menu screen...

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Hey Maybe my firewire port won't work!?
Cause it gives power to the iPod, but now with Panter, my Firewire Epson Scanner doesn't work either....Is that the problem?
If so, how can I fix it?

The Void

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2003
I had this problem just after i installed Panther. The iPod would show the "OK to disconnect" tick, but not go to the no entry sign, nor mount, nor appear in iTunes. I plugged the iPod into another machine, still running OS9, and it showed up fine in there.

So, i thought, why not try it in Classic in Panther? I installed iTunes 2.0.4 (you can still download it if you hunt a bit.... Cnet?...), plugged the pod in, and Voila! - There it was in my Classic iTunes and on my desktop.

Worked fine in Panther (10.3 - i've not done the update yet) the next time i tried it. (So, having thought about it, i suppose a restart may have been all that was needed.... You did try that, right?)

Since then it has failed to mount in Panther once, but reappeared when i unplugged/replugged the firewire lead at the iPod end. My iPod is a 2nd Gen 10GB, just in case that should turn out to be relevant.

The Void

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Originally posted by The Void
I had this problem just after i installed Panther. The iPod would show the "OK to disconnect" tick, but not go to the no entry sign, nor mount, nor appear in iTunes. I plugged the iPod into another machine, still running OS9, and it showed up fine in there.

So, i thought, why not try it in Classic in Panther? I installed iTunes 2.0.4 (you can still download it if you hunt a bit.... Cnet?...), plugged the pod in, and Voila! - There it was in my Classic iTunes and on my desktop.

Worked fine in Panther (10.3 - i've not done the update yet) the next time i tried it. (So, having thought about it, i suppose a restart may have been all that was needed.... You did try that, right?)

Since then it has failed to mount in Panther once, but reappeared when i unplugged/replugged the firewire lead at the iPod end. My iPod is a 2nd Gen 10GB, just in case that should turn out to be relevant.

The Void

Wow that seems like A LOT of work...mmm...
Damn..I thought apple was suppost to be Plug and Play..not Plug and get mad!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.