Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thousandsfall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Hi. Since I updated to iTunes 4.7 and OS 10.3.6 I havent been able to mount my iPod. It wont apear in the Finder, Desktop, or iTunes. Does any one know what to do about this? Thanks

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I have 4.7 and 10.3.6 and have no problems with my 2nd gen. iPod. Is is possible the "Enable disk use" option under iTunes Preferences->iPod->General got reset? Though I don't think that would explain the iPod not showing up at all in iTunes . . .

mslifkin

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
New Jersey
thousandsfall said:
Hi. Since I updated to iTunes 4.7 and OS 10.3.6 I havent been able to mount my iPod. It wont apear in the Finder, Desktop, or iTunes. Does any one know what to do about this? Thanks

Try unplugging any other FireWire devices you might have connected. This bites me every now and again. Also, sometimes if I have it connected to the front firewire connection on my G5 it won't work until I move it to the rear firewire connection, have no idea why. I've done the same updates that you have and my iPod mounts fine.

Regards,
Marc

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
mslifkin said:
Try unplugging any other FireWire devices you might have connected. This bites me every now and again. Also, sometimes if I have it connected to the front firewire connection on my G5 it won't work until I move it to the rear firewire connection, have no idea why. I've done the same updates that you have and my iPod mounts fine.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I've occasionally seen a conflict if the iSight webcam is plugged in.

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Can the iPod be seen in Apple System Profiler?

Can you restore it using the Apple iPod updater software?

thousandsfall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
wordmunger said:
Have you tried Disk Utility? Sometimes you just need to repair the disk/fix permissions.

I shouldnt have to. Its brandnew. Only been connected to the computer twice. And it wont apear under System Profiler.

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
does it appear in iPod software updater? If so, restore it.

Otherwise, try unplugging all peripherals (except KB and Mouse), unplug the computer from the wall for 10 minutes. then trying again.

There have been many FW problems since 10.3.6, see macfixit.com

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Similar Problem w/ FW DVD Burner...

I had the same thing happen with my Lacie Firewire DVD burner two weeks ago (running 10.3.5 at the time). All of a sudden it just wasn't there anymore. But my iPod worked fine and my Lacie Firewire External HD worked fine -- even going through the "dead" DVD burner to get to my iBook. Weird. I fooled with it for days, rebooted, ONYX'd everything, the works, still wouldn't show up anywhere. Out of frustration I took it to my local Apple dealer who plugged it in to a store Mac -- and poof there it was! So I plugged it into my computer again and poof there it was, no problems. It's been fine ever since. Not sure what was going on with it, but I hope that 10.3.6 fixes it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.