Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dev9907

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
When I try to sync my ipod, itunes sometimes won't even recognize that I have connected my ipod. Then if it does, a message pops up saying "Unknown error, cannot sync Ipod", and itunes will continually say "verifying Ipod" at the top of Itunes, and then itunes will stop responding. I have been searching online to find the problem, but nothing worked. At this point I am merely trying to restore my ipod but can't do it because itunes freezes once the ipod is recognized or won't recognize my ipod atl all.

I had this problem a month ago, and my computer at that time wasn't working well so I hoped that was the problem (some threads online said it could be a hardware issue not a problem with my Ipod). However two weeks ago my computer crashed, so I had to get a new hard drive, re-install windows, and then recently downloaded itunes 9 hoping with a completely wiped out computer it would work. It still won't sync, or even let me restore it. The Ipod itself has been working ok, freezing sometimes though.

Also it might be important to note that I have an Iphone and that syncs fine, both before and after the crash.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue and how I can either sync or restore? Any help is much appreciated.

cro1100

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
This is probably a silly response, but is the size of your library too large for your ipod?

alissa914g

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I was freezing when adding songs from my folder to my Ipod (under devices).

I found a workaround that if I add the song into my Itunes Library, then move it into my Ipod playlist it doesn't freeze during sync (i'll add a picture below)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/TrunkzJr/Itunessyncfreezefix-1.png

I know this is a REALLY old thread but just because I found this result while looking, here's how I solved it. I'm running the current iTunes in Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store:

Go into your iPod (w/ disk mode turned on if it's a Classic, Nano, etc.). Assuming your drive is G:, browse to G:\iPod_Control\iTunes (Of course, replace G: with whatever your iPod is). Look for iTunesLock. Delete that. Then load up iTunes.

Stopped it from saying Verifying iPod. :)

Plus, this was annoying to me too as I thought the database got corrupted and I had to resync my 730GB worth of data (iFlash Quad from iflash.xyz filled with 400GB/200GBx3 cards so 1000GB of storage space on a 2.0.5 iPod Classic)..... which would literally take about 14 hours. But nope. This got rid of that message and let me keep working.

And if you think your iTunes database is large on the iPod..... this one is 937MB so size is not really the problem here.

The other problem if that's not it is that your drive is bad. I know Windows will often lock up a storage device if the media is bad. Sometimes even the whole OS while it's plugged in. Even back in the day, a scratch on a DVD or CD-ROM would do that too. Anyway, the best thing about the iFlash Quad which uses micro SD cards is that if the disk format is bad, I pull out each card, use DISKPART, and then the CLEAN option on each card. Plug it back in the iPod and then restore the whole device. Works like new.

dgraydon

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
I know this is a REALLY old thread but just because I found this result while looking, here's how I solved it. I'm running the current iTunes in Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store:

Go into your iPod (w/ disk mode turned on if it's a Classic, Nano, etc.). Assuming your drive is G:, browse to G:\iPod_Control\iTunes (Of course, replace G: with whatever your iPod is). Look for iTunesLock. Delete that. Then load up iTunes.

Plus, this was annoying to me too as I thought the database got corrupted and I had to resync my 730GB worth of data (iFlash Quad from iflash.xyz filled with 400GB/200GBx3 cards so 1000GB of storage space on a 2.0.5 iPod Classic)..... which would literally take about 14 hours. But nope. This got rid of that message and let me keep working.

And if you think your iTunes database is large on the iPod..... this one is 937MB so size is not really the problem here.

The other problem if that's not it is that your drive is bad. I know Windows will often lock up a storage device if the media is bad. Sometimes even the whole OS while it's plugged in. Even back in the day, a scratch on a DVD or CD-ROM would do that too. Anyway, the best thing about the iFlash Quad which uses micro SD cards is that if the disk format is bad, I pull out each card, use DISKPART, and then the CLEAN option on each card. Plug it back in the iPod and then restore the whole device. Works like new.
[doublepost=1526477533][/doublepost]Wow! Thank you so much for posting this, even though it is a really old thread. I have been having that problem since I got a new ipod cassic, and your suggestion helped!

Reactions: alissa914g

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hello,
i guess the harddrive to be defective.
Reset your iPod (Menu + Center) and launch diagnostic mode (Previous + Center when the apple logo appears).

Then push menu button and select I/O. Select Harddrive and then Smart Data. Take a photo of the numbers and post it.

Regards

alissa914g

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Hello,
i guess the harddrive to be defective.
Reset your iPod (Menu + Center) and launch diagnostic mode (Previous + Center when the apple logo appears).

Then push menu button and select I/O. Select Harddrive and then Smart Data. Take a photo of the numbers and post it.

Regards
If your hard drive were defective, chances are that:

1) your drive would freeze during sync
2) You'd get the red X on the screen when you boot up
3) Your iPod would skip songs randomly, make clicking sounds, or just freeze

If you have a clicking hard drive, you should really do yourself a favor and replace it with flash cards or an SSD. Might as well, right? iflash.xyz has some great flash drive options... just don't do the SD card to Compact Flash route... I don't know how iFlash.xyz is with those and I bet theirs are great, but you're spending much more money than if you just got an iFlash Quad which is $45 or so and you can expand with 4 cards.

Lauren

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
If your hard drive were defective, chances are that:

1) your drive would freeze during sync
2) You'd get the red X on the screen when you boot up
3) Your iPod would skip songs randomly, make clicking sounds, or just freeze

If you have a clicking hard drive, you should really do yourself a favor and replace it with flash cards or an SSD. Might as well, right? iflash.xyz has some great flash drive options... just don't do the SD card to Compact Flash route... I don't know how iFlash.xyz is with those and I bet theirs are great, but you're spending much more money than if you just got an iFlash Quad which is $45 or so and you can expand with 4 cards.

Lauren

Hello,
cheap adapters are available for maybe 5 US-Dollars from ebay. ZIF to CF or to SD. I've never had problems with these cheap adapters. The write speed is similar to the quite expensive iflash adapters i also used.

Regards
Torsten

alissa914g

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
That's the key there..... cheap.....

I've tried some of those cheap ones and I ended up with random tracks that wouldn't play when listening to music that was lossless. Also CF is more expensive than micro SD and uses more power as well.

If it works for you, that's fine.

I'm just offering an alternative as I haven't run into any issues with iFlash Quad boards and my battery life is incredible with it plus getting 1TB of storage in regular SD or CF is far more expensive without that board. Plus, I can go up to 1.6TB with mine

Rf35

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018

[doublepost=1528204846][/doublepost]Alissa

Thank you - similar problem here after years of trouble free ipoding.

Your solution to go into the file worked. Please note it may be hidden on your PC so go to view and click "show hidden files". I could not find iTunes locker, but having accessed the other files and opened them suddenly the I pod popped into life.

Great.

Reactions: alissa914g
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.