IPod

pishnaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2002
West Virginia
Has anyone got the scoop on upgrading the drive size of an IPod? Is that a regular 2.5" drive...maybe Toshiba? I would think there's some way of transferring the OS to a new, and larger drive, as well.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
1.8" drive

It's a 1.8" drive from Toshiba.

Currently, Toshiba sells 5GB, 10GB and 20GB models. They are prohibitively expensive.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i just went to an Apple store today and saw the iPod in person for the first time. i can't beleive how small it is!!! i had no idea they were making hard drives that were that small.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by cb911
i just went to an Apple store today and saw the iPod in person for the first time. i can't beleive how small it is!!! i had no idea they were making hard drives that were that small.
Apparently you aren't familiar with IBM's MicroDrives, then... they're about the size of a postage stamp... although they only go as large as (I think) 2 gig right now.

pishnaris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2002
West Virginia
Microdrive - slick as snot

I have a 1 GB Microdrive in my digital camera....works flawlessly, although perhaps a little slowly. It's a CF form and it is truly amazing. I didn't know they have 2 GB drives...that's a whole lot of 14 MB pictures.