iProd 0,1 refers to the iPhone Pro Dock that connects to a mini displayport monitor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iansilv, Mar 24, 2009.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

iProd 0,1 is the new dock for the upcoming iphone pro.

This will allow the iphone pro to be docked on your desk and serve as your full screen desktop computer because it will power your standard display monitor through a mini display port on the back of the dock.

It will connect through mobile me, wireless keyboard and mouse- literally replacing your desktop computer if you want as a computer with about half the power of a mac mini. This means email, web surfing, document creation / editing, and all other basic computing tasks will be possible on the iPhone Pro.

It is referenced in the 3.0 beta OS because the phone needs to be aware of it as it is a new connector off of the standard ipod connector.

iPhone Pro will have a significantly more powerful processor then the current iPhone 3g and the next regular iPhone.

Some food for thought- check out this link about chips that are being demo'd now that can decode 1080p video:

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/42456.aspx

2. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

My brother and I were just talking about this sort of thing a few weeks ago.

Our discussion was over cellphones and where they could be 5 years from now.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of your thread title.

I think in the next several years we will begin to see smartphones grow so powerful that basically you will be carrying your entire computer/files/gaming all in one device on your hip, in your purse or wherever you keep it. The new thing will be 'docks', which you speak of, maybe it'll look like your standard iPhone dock.

Imagine two scenarios here. You will have this same set-up at your home and/or office.

You walk in and pop your iPhone into the dock which is connected to your 20" screen or whatever along with mouse and keyboard. Your iPhone IS the main cpu. And ya know, maybe you could have like a drobo storage device under the desk or whatever for backup...*sigh

Anyways, just something I was thinking of the other day and your thread reminded me of it, so figured I'd post. I'm tired and babbling on now. :p

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

4. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I don't have a job to lose with Apple or ATT...

Why is the above scenario so unbelievable to you?

5. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Are you stating this as fact, or as a hypothesis?

6. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I have not actually seen the product itself... :D

7. tdevers macrumors regular

That would be cool. I would still like a small notebook that would slip into an iMac/ACD like dock with a screen and connections over that though.

8. Tres macrumors regular

Oh maaan, duuude I'm tripping balls here shiiiit. But like, what if right, Ballmer was actually Jobs and Jobs was actually Ballmer, what then man? MIND BLOWN.

Geez this is some strong **** right here.

9. Tres macrumors regular

The iPhone Pro is a conspiracy created by the US government to cover up the Roswell landings. Obama is actually reptilian and Job's illness is in reality being caused by his biological incompatibility with Earth's environment.

Pass me the bong dude this is some chronic **** right here.

10. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Dude. What world are you living in?! That is definitely not happening this year.

11. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, you're probably right- definately not happening this year. There is jsut no way technology could advance that fast. No way.

I mean, not like every time technology has advanced- no- this time its different.
    :rolleyes:

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I highly doubt it's going to jump that far.

13. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Why? No one believed the original iPhone would do what it did?

14. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I REALLY like that idea. I think there will always be a place for a workstation, but this could really work for "normal" computing work... At least in the next 10 years or so.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

16. Haephestos macrumors regular

17. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Actually, that's not true. It is only just becoming the phone we all originally hoped for (with 3.0). The iPhone has an amazing UI - it's Apple, so that is expected. Looks lovely - It's Apple so expected. Lovely to use - again, Apple so expected.

What you're talking about is just not feasable right now at a good price point for the consumer.

18. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Have you Idiots seen the crap possible today? example of this is the EEE keyboard. Such a small Keyboard that hold a full featured computer.

While im not saying that the OP is correct on his assumption, it would be very possible to release a product like that.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

For that very reason. :D

20. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So are you just spurring the rumors with an open-ended response, or do you actually know something?

In terms of the theory/rumor/idea, I like it a lot. My only problem is at $899, the cheapest ACD isn't really cheap... so I'd love to see a 20" or 17" ACD to fill the gap to make a perfect display for the "iPhone Pro".

Thoughts?

21. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Maybe in like two years.
    I don't see people buying an ACD just for their iPhone.
    Now if they already had the ACD and the iPhone, I could see them getting a dock to connect the two.

22. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

If I told you I knew something, I would never be able to tell you something beyond that that would convince you.

What cracks me up here is the comments where someone says "That's not possible with today's technology."

Unless you have inside access OR A FRIEND WHO WORKS ON THE PRODUCT WHO IS WILLING TO SHARE DETAILS WITH YOU there is no way you can comment with any real authority on whether or not this is coming "this year."

23. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly- it seems like there are always people who take a myopic look at what is in front of them and decide that if they cannot see it, it must not be there! :)

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

25. diemos macrumors 6502

that actually makes sense, and I could see apple doing that, I hope it happens, I love all these new futuristic gadgets.