Iran Deal chickens come home to roost

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jun 23, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

More than $20 billion worth of them.

Boeing announced recently that it had concluded an agreement to sell between $17 and $25 billion worth of commercial airliners to Iran, to replace aging planes in that country's civilian air fleet.

Its hard to put a precise number of jobs and/or economic growth on a deal such as this. But its fair to say that over the coming years this is going to mean a fair number of families in Washington State; Kansas; and other places are going to enjoy jobs with good wages and benefits as a result of this deal. And as a result of the historic nuclear agreement brokered by the Obama Administration.

I think it fair to say that the US Government will continue to have several serious differences with the Iranian Government. And that every effort needs to be made by our military; weapons inspectors; intelligence community; and diplomats to ensure that Iran does not violate the terms of its nuclear agreement; and to curtail efforts to support terrorism or other destabilizing forces in the region.

But on a larger scale, I think its important to recognize that the benefits of peaceful negotiation far, far outweigh the horrendous costs of war and aggression. When the Iranian accord was signed there was shrieking outrage from the Conservative echo chamber about how we were "giving" Iran a few hundred million dollars of their own money back.

Wel; we just stand to earn many times that back in airplanes and parts sales.

2. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Iran-US relationship will eventually stabilize to become just like China-US relations. It will remain an ideological enemy (exactly like Chinese Communist government), but USA will have no choice but to do business with it anyways.

USA will continue to criticize (several times a year) Iran's shortcomings in human rights (exactly like USA bashes China all the time). But it won't stop American companies from making lucrative trade with the frenemy nation.

Expect Apple Retail Stores in Tehran sometime after 2020.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I wouldn't say the US has no choice but. We'll happily do it, because there's plenty of money to be made.

Looks like we've gained ourselves another frenemy.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

Boeing did it for the nookie ...

Accepting money from "Death to America" Iran.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Who gives a damn? They can shout it all they want, but it's obvious their hearts aren't into it if they're happily accepting American businesses into the country with open arms.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Can you blame them? Iranian girls are scrumptilicious.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ha ha, yes. And men can order them around and they'll obey. Sex is yours for the taking. No headache excuses to tolerate.

One of the mitigating factors that makes a nuclearized exporter of terror worth doing business with.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I'm surprised that their dislike for the US didn't drive them toward Airbus instead. Or is Europe equally as evil as the USA, so they just picked the aircraft deal they liked the best?

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

We may be heathen infidels, but we make a damn good airplane.

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

But Trump's small hands has nothing to do with flying ayatollah.

12. Limey77 macrumors regular

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think you just hate Iran simply because it's filled with closet liberal atheists. This is somewhat anecdotal, but the ones that immigrate to the US all seem to dump Islam, drink heavily, and dress however they like. They're much less conservative than other Middle Eastern immigrants in that regard. I'm not sure of the reason (could be confirmation bias on my part).

14. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Iranians are Persian first, Muslim second. As the center of Shia Islam (the minority Islam), they are quite understandably interested in consolidating their power as both a Nation-state and as a Shia stronghold against Saudi Arabia. Nothing particularly surprising or scary about this - except that I used the words "muslim" and "islam". Look at a map, and you'll see that Iran is in a perfect geographical spot for it to become an at least, Regional player...also, they're probably the best friend we could hope to have in that region.

16. Limey77 macrumors regular

Well they haven't been able to buy any for 30 years or so and it is second only to Cuba in the booming travel destinations.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is this tasteless satire or a raging ism?

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Mas y menos.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think it's called Islam.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Pretty sure the Iranians did a proper cost-benefit analysis and purchased the best product they could afford. Boeing doesn't give their aircraft away, but they are the best thing flying.

21. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

For several decades of the 20th century, Iran was a fairly reliable and secular friend of the West…. until the Ayatollah returned back from his Paris exile (idiot France allowed Khomeini to live in Paris as a welcome guest) and then deposed the Shah.

Of course, the aging clerics of the Islamic Republic still have not forgiven the US for being the Puppet-Master that supported the dictatorial Shah. We can hope that the future generation of Iranians will learn to put away that grudge. It won't happen until all of the still-living (revolution-era) clerics have died.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

A bit of Bill and Hillary history is in order.

Yes, that Bill and Hillary.

Not so very long ago, Boeing contributed big-time to Bill; Hillary helped the company obtain a profitable Russian contract.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2016 ---
    Unintended benefits. A different kind of Nookie. We can learn from our Muslim brothers. Take a walk on the wild side - from, say, a century or two ago.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Young Iranians are very pro-USA and even the clerics are cautiously opening themselves to diplomacy with the Great Satan.

However, they don't appreciate when U.S. presidential candidates talk about nuking them for the sake of Israel.

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Oh so Billary is a capitalist, a blue-blooded capitalist like all Republicans strive to be. Makin deals, greasin the corporate wheel. Making lotsa lotsa profit.
    That's when you got the narrative wrong.

Clinton (and about 99% of Republican NeoCons too) hints at threats to nuke Iran. It's simply posturing for internal (American) masses consumption.

Exactly when frothing at the mouth Iranian general threatens "Death to America". They merely say it for internal (Iranian) masses propaganda consumption.

Neither Clinton (like Obama) have the appetite or guts to war with Iran. They just aren't that stupid. And same with Iran. It can chant death to America all it wants, but they don't have the balls to go to war with the USA. Iran's preferred method is the cowardly tactic of using proxies, mercenaries, and allied militants (e.g. Yemen rebels, Hezbollah, etc) to fight their wars against enemies like Israel and Saudi. Iran itself has everything to lose in all out war with a large regional power. They know it.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Certain aspects of Persian culture are rather compatible with the U.S. and other western countries. It seems to be difficult to foster friendly relations with the Iranian government, however. The obvious reason is that no matter how sympathatic the average Persian-on-the-street is, the Ayatollahs and the Revolutionary Guard have police and veto power. And, they continue to try to foster hatred-towards-Israel as a key component in their program to unify Iran.

As far as I know, Quds Day is still the biggest sponsored event in Iran. It is going to be difficult for Iran to get back on track unless and until the Supreme Leader, Guardian Council, Assembly of Experts, and Revolutionary Guards, relax the officially theocratic state structure. At the moment, there isn't any way to democratize it.