Iran detains 10 US sailors and 2 small US boats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JamesMike, Jan 12, 2016.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I suspect it will. I wonder what they mean by "small?" Zodiacs?

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35295766

Iran has detained 10 US sailors after their vessels were stopped in the Gulf, a US official told the BBC.

"We lost contact with two small US naval craft en route from Kuwait to Bahrain," the official said.

He said that the Iranians informed the US that the sailors were safe and "will promptly be allowed to continue their journey".

The incident happened near Farsi Island after one of the ships encountered mechanical problems.

So.... are we friendly with Iran this week?

4. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

It could be. I have been told they are the 'riverine' type of boats.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Wait, I thought Iran was against Saudi Arabia due to purported market manipulation or something? The US has nothing to do with that since, like the rest of the world, everyone in that industry is taking a pounding...

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I guess we'll find out just how friendly we are.

8. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

It's a good thing this was not a Russian boat in Turkish waters, I'm sure the Turks would have sunk them. I also bet Obama would have supported the sinking like with the Russian Jet.

9. ChrisWB, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016

ChrisWB macrumors 6502

The American sailors were being detained by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, aka. the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution. The IRG is a political and military faction that answers directly to the Supreme Leader (Ayatollah) rather than the government. It's entirely independent of the elected Iranian government and military.

The IRG's mission is to defend Islam in Iran. They're right wing religious extremists.

They're the same branch that fired rockets into the water a mile away from our aircraft carrier three weeks ago in an attempt to provoke the US navy. They're also the same group of clowns that built a giant hollow model of an American aircraft carrier, then blew it up. In short, these guys have a few screws loose.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Fixed that for you.

11. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

That's good news! Thank you for sharing.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And the righties are heartbroken that this wasn't a hostage situation. Proof- see other threads where its' mentioned.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Gotta give credit where credit is due. In the past, this likely would have turned into a long, drawn out hostage crisis.

Instead, thanks to Obama's diplomacy, the Iranians basically helped these sailors fix their boat, gave them a place to stay for the night, and then said "have a good day" and sent them on their way. A huge difference from the doom and gloom world war three talk coming from the likes of Jeb and Trump.

Huge credit to Obama and his deal on this one. I wouldn't go so far as to say it validates the deal as that remains to be seen over the long term, but this is a major step in the right direction.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm sure you're correct in this regard.

But if anyone is expecting Fox News; Republicans; etc. to issue so much as a hint that diplomacy and statesmanship on the part of Obama or Kerry had the slightest thing to do with this quick release - then they'll be waiting a long time.

Kerry called Iranian foreign minister Mohammed Javad Zarif as soon as he learned about the incident. Kerry and Zarif had apparently built up a close personal rapport during the long negotiations over Iran's nuclear program.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Waitaminnit. They may have released the soldiers, but don't they still have the boats?

HOSTAGE SITUATION!!! :eek:

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The reports say the US sailors took their own boats back to the USS Anzio.

I expected Iran to release the sailors but seize the boats. The fact that they basically just said have a good day and let them go on their way is a major positive for Obama's diplomatic approach with them.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Soldiers? Soldiers?

I had to laugh when I saw the Fox News headline: "Naval Soldiers Taken Hostage..."

:D

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

They got soul, but they ain't no soldiers....

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They're all the same to a peacenik commie like myself.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Bottom line even the ayatollahs so want those sanctions to be lifted.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you suggesting that that Iranian regimes aren't merely the mindless evil-doer supermen that US leaders want us to believe they are but are instead rational actors?

Say it ain't so!

22. kapolani macrumors regular

There has to be more to this.

Usually they would just toss a line and tow them back.

Being small 'zodiacs' also makes me think specwar. Specwar doesn't just wander aimlessly into enemy waters.

Haven't heard anything from my guys yet, but it will eventually come out.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Goes against the hype on them, doesn't it. Personally i believe Iran is at least currently among the most rational actors in the Middle East. The gig they're running is pretty complex. I hope we, and they, can manage to keep it on an even keel while some of the other parties in (or with interests in) the region sort out their stuff and maybe find a few shreds of rational self-interest as well.

Pragmatism is the only workable antidote to the ailments of relationships bedeviled by ultra-orthodox religionists. It's domestically risky for leaders in any of these states to try to build some mutually beneficial relationships with traditional enemies despite religious opposition to such behavior, but the upside is starting to have more pull now, at least in Iran. In Saudi Arabia, who knows. They're actually more of a dicey question mark in the region's future than the Israeli-Palestinian problem, although not as significant. They (and we) have really painted that monarchy into some corner in their brief years of existence. I don't even know what rational acting would be for the Saudis now, and so far the new king has not shown us he has a clue either. Iran is very patient...