Iran speculation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Aug 21, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Looks like Israel may go for Iran by the end of the year, perhaps hoping that the US will join them. Ministers in UK have already met to see whether involvement is legal.

Perhaps the US will manufacture a story about WMDs being moved from Syria to Iran to get the justification, though I can't see Obama wanting any part of that until after his election. Obama did drop the WMD moniker yesterday, I wonder if this is the war machine stepping up a gear.

Iran has been sabre rattling with their fancy new toy
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-08-21/iran-says-it-has-upgraded-a-short-range-missile

2. 725032 Guest

This has been a long a time coming... And it is scary!

3. ChristianJapan, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

When I read that some days ago with the estimation of around 500 casualties in Israel and and timespan of four weeks ... Never so few and so short.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19274866

My fear is be that Israel finally start and can't solve it conventially and use nukes themselves. Or need massive support from western countries. Iran is big and quite some distance to Israel; not easy going.
    How to solve it ? No idea.

And yes, very very scary ... :(

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The legitimate fear for Israel is they could easily be wipe off the face of the earth with just a few nukes and Iran would be crazy enough to do it. Top it off it is no secrete that Iran hates Israel.

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Fully agree ... I understand the position of Israel and the risks they face with their direct and indirect neighbors; and the inability of the UN (namely permanent security council member) to really influence what happen in a common way.

6. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Seems like Israel hates Iran more than hates Israel. I see Israel wanting to go to war and to launch a pre-emptive attack on Iran and not the other way around. The hypocrites that are complaining about Iran's nuclear work are the same people that won't allow inspectors to inspect their sites in Israel.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Human nature strikes again: It looks like soon Iran will get the bomb and there will be nuclear states stretching from Iran to PRC.

Does anybody remember the old game of Balance of Power? I seem to recall that nobody in the game (academics included) could prevent Armageddon if there were multiple nuclear powers interacting.

I don't think there should be preemptive strikes against Iran, but I do think the US needs to state publicly what its policy would be if Iran attacked Israel, other Gulf states, or US military bases in the Middle East with nuclear weapons. It might be that we will have to rely on deterrence based on the threat of nuclear counterstrikes and hope the people of Iran get fed up of their government and overthrow it.

8. jeremy h macrumors 6502

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Israel would be wise not to do anything. And if they do, we would be wise to stay out of it. No more wars, we can't afford it.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Neither Israel nor we (US, selected EU countries) are wise enough to stay out. Israel will (and kind of need) to act as Iran's official representatives are openly question Israel right to exists. But Israel is small and will require substantial support; direct and indirect.

The problem is that it's actually too late. Now with Iran's facilities most underground it will be difficult to attack those. I don't see that only air strike will do it; boots on the ground will be required in order to ensure a regime change. Looking into another 5 to 10 years "engagement".

I wish it would not happen...

11. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  12. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Iran Speculation

Damn, where did I leave my speculum. I'll look into it when I locate the pesky instrument.

KGB:D

Ah, found it

KGB