Iran threatens the US again with impunity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewitt, May 7, 2016.

1. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

O.k. lets start at the start here:

The US plays around in the Persian Gulf (just imagine the outcry if an Iranian warship would try the same of the coast of Florida).

2 US boats loaded with soldiers enter Iranian waters (wether on purpose or by accident we will never know) and Iran captures them at gunpoint but without any casulties. Pretty standard behaviour when armed forced from a hostile nation enter foreign teriroty)

After some wiggling Iran releases those soldiers.

Some US back-benchers has a brainfart over it.

Some 3rd row Iranian warns the US that implemanting that brainfart would have consequences.

Khamenei cracks a joke and adds some of the usual rhethoric.

Did I miss anything ?

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No, I think you pretty much nailed it.

There is a certain kind of mental-midget Fox News-watching American that, for whatever reason, thinks that getting into a pointless war with Iran seems like a good idea. Why? God only knows.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When said countries captures ship is it standard practice to make soldiers beg and cry for propoganda shots? Can you see Putin allowing his troops to be treated like this?

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

*shrug*

Yeah, cos the US would never ever show up captured soldiers on TV....

If roles were reversed those Iranian sailors would now either be dead or rotting in Guantanamo.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, actually no. The US Navy almost certainly wouldn't do that.

The reality is that serious mistakes were made on both sides of the incident. The US Navy sailors involved made a series of error
    s. They sailed into undisputed Iranian territorial waters due to faulty navigation. They did not conduct a proper planning session prior to starting off on the mission. On the other hand, the Iranian Navy had no right to arrest and detain the sailors and their vessels. They certainly should not have filmed and broadcast the US sailors. That is contrary to the rules of the Geneva Convention; even if countries are at war, which they are not.

Fortunately, cooler heads on both sides of the situation prevailed. The Iranian Navy was told by its political masters to quickly release the US sailors. Which they did. And the US military and diplomatic officials involved moved to quickly extricate their people and conduct a thorough investigation.

The US Congressman who is sponsoring the bill to punish Iran over the incident is making empty threats. The Iranian general who is threatening to close the Straits of Hormuz is making equally empty threats in response.

Neither is going to happen. Because, fortunately and for now at least, we have grown-ups in charge of US military and foreign policy.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

You may rewatch footage shot during the Iraq-wars by "embeeded" journalists (read under full control of the military).

Neither side would let such a propaganda jackpot pass by unused.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Grown ups or cowards? Hard to tell. Iran surely doesn't respect this administration, they might the next though as I don't think even Hillary would put up with what Obama has.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think Obama has achieved quite a lot with Iran actually.

11. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Ben Rhodes is laughing (mostly at the mental midgets in the press), it is cute.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Who is he?

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

He creates echo chambers.

His official title is "Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications and Speechwriting."

14. jerwin macrumors 65816

If only the newspapers hadn't closed down their middle east desks. If only they had journalists who had the experience to discern ********.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do Republicans want a war with Iran?

Because if they do, then they need to explain to the American people (and the rest of the world) why that's a good idea. Why it would be worth spending another trillion or so dollars; and killing and maiming thousands more US service people to achieve whatever they think they are going to achieve.

But if Republicans don't want a war; then they need to understand that not every nation on the face of the planet is going to cower and prostrate themselves before the mighty power of TeamAmerica. Iran isn't going to do that. North Korea isn't going to do that. Neither is Russia or China. Heck, I wouldn't expect Britain or Iceland to do that.

I'm not going to wait up nights expecting America's conservatives to suddenly develop a coherent understanding of how international relations are conducted. Nor am I expecting them to suddenly develop a hint of common decency.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Saber rattling is an act of aggression. We should kill them all.

18. Robisan macrumors 6502

Because carpet bombing and killing Muslims gives them an erection.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Given the number of ads they run for boner pills, it makes sense.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Yeh I guess grabbing your ankles is an achievement in some circles.

21. Jess13, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I don’t seem to recall seeing any of the captured/detained service members begging and crying.

i.jpg
    i .jpg

OK, I found one service member crying. Why? About what? I don’t have the answer. But he clearly wasn’t be made to “cry for propaganda shots.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oments-unit-surrendered-Iranian-soldiers.html

31113EF400000578-3441156-image-a-30_1455139805693.jpg

--- Post Merged, May 7, 2016 ---
    They is talking and saying stuff against us! They has to dies!

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Search Navy captured by Iran on google images, look for soldiers with their hands behind their heads. When did the US military start surrendering so easily?

23. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Soldiers with their hands behind their heads isn’t begging and crying. Usually when somebody is arrested they put their hands on their heads, behind their backs or are made to lay face-first on the ground. The soldiers were captured in Iranian waters. Not American waters - Iranian. If there was an Iranian Navy vessel in U.S. waters, they would have been treated the same upon capture/detention, probably worse.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The US isn't Iran, they aren't equivalents, the fact that they thought they could do this with impunity just shows how far Obama has ditched respect for the US military. What a joke, even Russia is buzzing the decks of the US ships knowing that Obama doesn't have any balls.

25. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Yeah, I get it. You don’t understand the concept of other nations’ borders and territories.

Russia is buzzing the ships in response to the repeated provocations against the country by Nato and the Obama administration.