Iran to ban women from studying certain things

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Sep 22, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Including engineering, counseling, etc...

Let's start with this quote from the article:

Uh. What?. Maybe we should bomb Iran. How do you actually cure such ignorance?

Here's the article:

Link

A couple of key points:

1. I didn't know that the majority of college students in Iran were women. Maybe If they weren't constantly gearing up for war against Israel their men would be in college learning.
    2. They site falling marriage and birth rates as a reason to ban women from university education.

There is certainly a lot of criticism against the US and West's policy toward Iran, but after reading something like this, how could you not think that Iran is completely out of their minds? The government that is of course.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

As I've always said, there is no reasoning with a Muslim country. And no, I don't mean any country run by religion. I'm specifically referring to Muslim countries.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

This is the standard thought process under Sharia Law, and where the entire Muslim world will end up unless moderate Muslims stand up for basic human rights.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The eye holes were distracting the men from their studies. :cool:

Just another day in Islam.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To a point I agree with you.

I do not expect that anybody will explain to these cultures why their practices are wrong and have these Muslim countries smack themselves on the forehead and exclaim, "Oh, NOW I see that I've been screwing up for hundreds of years."

Nope. Reasoning won't magically change things.

So what do you want to do about it?

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Honestly? Bomb them and start over.

This type of thinking is a virus.

We have our problems with China, for instance (more fabricated than anything imo), but they don't go around banning women from going to school for certain things.

It's a cancer and a virus and it needs to be stopped.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You go first. What can we do about it and more importantly, should we do anything about it?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Engagement and diplomacy are the only solutions I see.

Engagement, because I believe the more they see western culture, the more they'll realize that empowering women is a positive culturally and economically. I actually think that economic pressures will do more to change Muslim society than anything else. I believe they will find that suppressing half of their creativity and workforce will be an untenable situation to maintain.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What's wrong with you guys? As egg incubators women should feel privileged to sit high up on the their pedestals, as glorified property, wrapped against lustful eyes, cherished by their husbands, with the extreme honor of pumping out offspring when their spouses are kind enough to impregnate them. And they get to raise the kids too! No need to confuse their pretty little heads with more than these responsibilities is there?

What's funny is that there was a time, because of their monthly periods, and hormonal mood swings, Western women were not considered stable enough to vote. :D

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yep, let's bomb a country, kill thousands of Iranians and Americans, etc just because they have a different culture and religious beliefs.

While I do think what they are doing is wrong when it comes to women rights, it isn't something to go to war with them over.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I used to think that but lately I'm too negative. I don't see their leaders ever caring about sustaining any quality of life for the masses and the people just don't stand up for their rights enough. It's bad enough when a culture is stuck in this type of mess but when you mix religion in, it seems damn near impossible to change anything. It took a long time for the people of the ussr to see how much better life could be if they had a more free society and Russia still isn't the free-est nation in the world. Maybe I'm just having a bad day. Used to think we could educate and help anyone....

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Russia and Eastern Europe changed.

China changed (is changing).

South Africa changed.

It takes time.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, let's go bomb some more nut jobs and try and change them. We have a long history of success in that. :rolleyes:

14. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

List the situations comparable to Iran:

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

At the rate things are going, the Iranians will begin bombing their own government. We should have learned this lesson from the end of the Cold War - eventually people will get fed up of tyranny and overthrow it.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its nobodies business but there own. All we can do is point out where we think they are going wrong. Perhaps more than 50% of Iranian women agree with this policy. Honestly, bombing people because they disagree with you is exactly what happened in 9/11. If they are no threat to you, you have no right to cause them harm.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I may have eric/ on ignore, that doesn't prevent me from seeing the occasional quote. I pity any human being with that mindset ... to imagine that bombing over 300 million men, women and children is a solution to anything is simply sick.

Perhaps he has a virus too.

18. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

"Bombing over 300 million people" ? Shrill. Bombing the Iranian government and destroying their military =/= bombing 300 million people.

Putting people on ignore demonstrates inability to compete in intellectual conversation and shows that you're too emotionally invested to provide objective input.

----------

Did you see the quote?

If the Western media says it's bad, than it's good.

Maybe we can start telling them it's good to keep womenz repressed and they'll start doing the opposite? :D

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thanks but I have no interest in participating on your neo-con circle jerk.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I agree that it takes time but China is the only one the list that I think is really comparable. Part of the problem, part of the deterrent to change, is the brutal violence that any progressive person faces. I mean, we are dealing with religious hardliners that have no qualms about throwing acid on school children. I think our best hope for rippling change is if the Arab Spring uprisings are able to solidify into healthy democracies.

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sure. Just show them clips of Republicans speaking. That should do it.

22. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Honesty, absolutely nothing. I think we need to leave them alone. We just add for fuel to their fire with our presence. They need to live through their own self created hell and they need to have their own social revolutions just like the western world had centuries ago. They can only change from the inside, and if they can't then I feel sorry for them as long as they don't try to harm us. I really hope they can get themselves together at some point in the 21st century.

23. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

No, you are just wrong and have nothing to list.

No need for neo-con stuff since that doesn't apply to me

----------

no need to make this an obama-romney thing or anything plz

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Ok maybe this will be a better term.... He does not want to be involved in your war hawk circle jerk.....

25. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

How am I a war hawk?