Iran to ration gasoline

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Macky-Mac, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

al-Jazeera is reporting that Iran is now going to ration gasoline

this certainly wont contribute to stability in that part of the world

the rest of the report;
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/304750F4-967F-4FBB-9A4E-8BF9799AD784.htm

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

There's been a lot of griping for quite a while. They've had shortages, already.

The Iranian output has been in decline as their fields have played out. Little infrastructure improvement or expansion has occurred since 1979. Last I read, the output has dropped from 3.3 mmbpd to 2.8 mmbpd.

FWIW, there is a lot of doubt about the continued present-level output of the Saudi fields, and the belief of a lot of lying by the Saudis as to any increase for short term...

'Rat

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

CBS News

I can't figure out exactly why they're on rations; maybe someone else can. :confused:

4. Queso macrumors G4

I would have thought that some bright spark would have worked out by now that an abundance of raw materials mixed with a demand for processed materials would mean building a processing plant might be a good idea.

Or is this a case of sanctions preventing them from doing just that?

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Gee, it would be terrible if the refinery was damaged and cut their production even further. :cool:

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Good question, maybe the nuke program is taking up too much money.

This is worrisome. Social unrest is the only possible outcome of this and the last thing the ME conflagration needs is more tinder.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Kinda puts a kink in the whole "Iran doesn't need a civilian nu-cu-lar program" arguement that many here are fond of making. As we hear time and again when gas prices hit the ceiling here - it's not the supply of crude that's the problem, it's the lack of refining capability.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The nuke program and the limited refinery capacity are exactly why this is happening.

I think that the mullahs and Abdimjob are going to find out that their millions of young citizens just want to live their lives out rather than spend all their resources planning the destruction of the great Satans.

Don't worry about the meltdown. They've contained their revolution before and they'll do it again.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's their own constitution getting in the way. They don't have the local expertise or spare capital to shore up the infrastructure, and their constitution prohibits foreign ownership of oil production resources. The deals required to work around the restrictions aren't especially profitable for the would-be developers, so they tend to stay away.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Iran is fully justified in building nuke-electricity power plants. I've read that they have maybe twenty years' worth of oil remaining. The obvious fly in the ointment is the "Marbar...!" crowd and their nuke-bomb stuff.

As far as the refineries they haven't built or expanded in these last 28 years, they could hire the expertise. I guess as long as they could sell crude oil at high prices and import gasoline fairly cheaply, they didn't worry overmuch about such construction efforts...

'Rat

11. Queso macrumors G4

I thought that. Surely there are plenty of Iraqi Shias with the knowledge, and China is always happy to do a deal.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

any company who invests more than 15 million dollar into iran is getting a trade embargo from the US

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Except if they are Chinese or Russian.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The embargo would probably go away quick-quick if the Iranian leaders would quit funding terrorist groups, quit providing arms to Hezbollah, and quit yapping about nuking Israel...

'Rat

Edit-add: The Iranian people Are. Not. Pleased.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Con...l=/news/2007/06/28/wiran128.xml&site=5&page=0

"Riots broke out in Teheran yesterday when Iran's regime stirred public anger and showed the depth of the country's economic crisis by imposing petrol rationing.

A petrol station burns during riots in Teheran after the government announced it was introducing petrol rationing to curb demand

The disturbances, which affected nine areas of the capital and saw youths set at least 12 petrol stations ablaze, disclosed the mounting unpopularity of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's regime."

And

"The oil ministry says that Iran needs £6 billion of foreign investment to achieve self-sufficiency in petrol by upgrading refineries.

Reviving the entire oil and gas sector - allowing Iran to produce its full potential of 5.3 million barrels per day - would need another £46 billion. If Iran's international isolation over its nuclear programme persists, this scale of foreign investment is almost inconceivable."

The English Pound is right at $2 US.

15. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What? Really? What happened? :confused:

That means that the British economy is twice a good as ours. :(

16. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

No. The dollar has never been close to being equal to a pound. When I lived there some 11 years ago, it was about $1.6 to 1 pound. The U.S. dollar has weakened due to a vairety of factors including the war and debt, but mainly due to increased investments in foreign companies.

17. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Okay thanks for the explanation. Economics has never been one of my strong points. :eek:

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I just know enough to pretend that I know what I'm taling about.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Back in the 80s it was. For a large chunk of the Reagan years the £ was only around $1.10 or thereabouts. There was even one trading session in Tokyo and Hong Kong where the currencies were traded at parity.

Then of course our involvement in Europe coupled with North Sea oil receipts took off and up went our currency again. Whether we'll ever get back to the days of £1=$5 is another matter. Depends whether you put another Republican in charge in 2008 I suppose :p

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Some protestors burned a gas station last night. Perhaps this is just the start of something much larger?

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Not the start, the pot's been simmering for a long time. If Iran continues on its path of inflationary policies, it could turn into something larger and it looks as though they will.

The big question is, will the Iranian people start their own revolution?

22. Queso macrumors G4

Not sure. The French take to the streets all the time but it's just protesting rather than actively seeking a change in government. Maybe the fantastic new UN/EU/Russian/US Peace Envoy to the Middle East should pay them a visit, once Scotland Yard have finished questioning him that is.

23. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Apparently it was a dozen stations.

An interesting footnote in there, it's not strict rationing. It's only the subsidies that are limited, they can still buy fuel at normal rates.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as far as i heard it's 100 liters fixed at 8 cent and 300 liters for government vehicles or something like that