Iran vows to bar Americans in response to Trump’s ‘insulting’ ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macmee, Jan 28, 2017.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

who in the hell would voluntarily want to go to Iran unless you were from there.

4. Zenithal macrumors 601

Historians? People who want to experience culture? You'd be surprised at the amount of non-Iranians who visit Iran each year from the US. No one wants to visit Pakistan or Saudi Arabia, yet I don't see a ban on these two countries who fund terrorism. I also don't see other Middle Eastern or African countries that fund terrorism through government corruption or indirectly on the ban list.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

Iran ... mere days away from a re-imposition of sanctions and an unannounced bombing training run by the Israeli Air Force.

6. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Isn't that bad enough?

What if you're just some regular guy in America who's from Iran, and now you can't visit your family in Iran or America anymore because you're afraid either country will block you from getting in.

7. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

Shucks...cancelling the cruise. Headed to Pyongyang instead.

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

way better places to visit IMO but to each their own.

I agree, the list should have been longer. There's time though.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2017 ---
    here's to hoping they kept their citizenship there if they could.

9. Zenithal macrumors 601

If you want to understand ancient Persia, it's really the only place to go. I've been to over 20-25 countries myself and I can't agree with you. But see, and I'm going to come off as a prick to you here on purpose, but I was taught to appreciate cultures for the good things they have and can offer, and not necessarily remind myself of their evils. Though I'm sure the typical uncultured individual such as yourself may hold such views.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If you're a US citizen your passport already says you can't visit Iran.

11. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

so much for being the country of freedom

12. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

Like there was a never a substantial risk going to Iran? Do you just make this up as you go?

13. RedOrchestra Suspended

These are tricky devils, they carry dual-citizen passports.

14. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Is there a law that you must forfeit all your other passports when you become an american?

Don't think so

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

yes there is.
    EDIT:
    I phrase it better. You have to swear to give up any alliance and fidelity to any other country when you are naturalized.
    In real life, no one will ever care, not even the gov't.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I'm sure lots of people would love to take their kids to see the history first hand but I would bet that desire ends the moment the history channel show is over as the reality of doing so isn't worth the risks.

it's a shame but the reality is what it is. that part of the world and culture for the most part has stood still in time and failed to become as civilized as so many others have.

17. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

That kind of sucks. I was going to take a trip there and hand out atheist literature, let my wife swim in a bikini at a public beach, and then end the night by burning an Iranian flag while my kids drew funny pictures of the prophet Muhammad...

Iran supports freedom of speech right?

18. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yeah but you're allowed to have dual citizenship in the US. I swear I know people who have both Canada and US citizen (my grandmother did!) or dual US and UK citizenship.

19. Zenithal macrumors 601

The H channel hasn't been about history for years. Don't use this tired old excuse. Most of the US is hardly civilized. Drive 100 miles east of the California coast, and you're in the boonies and the people act as if it's the south.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yea, feeling mighty unfree here. Can't do anything. Like living in North Korea.

[​IMG]

21. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yeah man, sounds like you're all set and should totally be safe to do all those things there. Have a great time!

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

It's very theorical as the gov't as I said doesn't care.
    If you're born with dual citizenship rights, you can have dual citizenship, no question asked.
    If you are naturalized - I am going to use what the immigration officer told us when my son became a US citizen - "you should renounce the other citizenship, and if you use the other passport, we can revoke your american citizenship. However, as long as you don't tell us, we don't care."
    We're four people in my family, with seven passports...

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

Iran was once a secular country.

With Ahmadinejad gone I hope it slowly starts to return to the Iran it was pre his regime.

Time will tell on that one I guess.

24. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

How is it that you say the above, and then immediately go to to this:
    Which is the same statement you were trying to refute pertaining to Iran.

25. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

companies and investors from middle class ones to big ones. If the US doesn't invest, other countries will and take the benefit out of it.

Also there is one political/economic theory that says you can import values into another country by trading and doing business there. So, if you want it to become more secular you better open it to western society, rather than blocking it and teaching them by example that you are their enemy.

Iran is/was already heading towards a more secular society. In the last election for one of their "Houses" (a board of scientific advisors) secular candidates were voted in at higher numbers than religious ones, also replacing seats that were formerly held by religious scientists and experts.
    Their president is also known to be as secular as you can be while having to keep a religious hardliner-crowd happy at the same time, to stay in office.

Trump's foreign and economic politics will ruin those very small steps that had taken place and the west could have build on.