Iran wants to wipe Israel off the map.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
All the news is reporting Irans president has come out of his Extreme closet and wants to wipe Israel off the Map. I think we should let Israel take care of this guys Nuclear ambitions like they did with Saddam's. Anyways i had to post this thread because ( others ) are slipping;)
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
Ok, I'll bite, you've been itching for this for days. ;)

Do you think Israel will solve the problem, or just put them back a few years in their development?

If it only buys you a few years, what then? After being bombed, will the Iranians be in any better mood to give up their nuclear ambitions?

From what I understand, the Iranians are working with uranium, not plutonium like North Korea is. The development timetable is on the order of years for uranium, months for plutonium.

I know which country I'm more concerned about. Iran isn't joining the nuclear club anytime soon, and as long as we can keep them to uranium enrichment, inspections are more than sufficient to keep their development under check.
 

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
2,076
28
Washington, DC
I don't think Israel has the capability to knock out Iran's development infrastructure like they did Iraq's. Iran has an existing air force, is that much farther away from Israel, and has numerous underground sites.

Not an option.

I'm more of the mindset that this is innevitable unless Iran decides that nuclear weapons are not in their best interests. Best option: slow it down (negotiations, inspections), make it in Iran's best interests (diplomacy, interaction, integration into "world community", trade). If we slow their program down and work diplomatically, by the time the program gets closer they'll give it up.

Or we just invade, and trade our global influence for a long, costly, bloody struggle to influence just the Middle East.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
I think it will take a world effort only we still have Bad guys (commies) on the security counsel China/Russia? So we have Russia selling them the tech,China opposing almost anything we do, plus we have a program thats been going on for 18 years! Anyone have confidence in our CIA? I dont but anyways they have stuff buried deep and spread out. So we have this president wanting to wipe Israel off the map and he is one step away from having the big one. Plus he is telling the palastinians to invade & destroy Israel. He needs a spanking, this is a real threat, this is the real reason folks go to war unlike the stuff Bush dreamed up in Iraq. He needs a spanking big time.
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
Dont Hurt Me said:
I think it will take a world effort only we still have Bad guys (commies) on the security counsel China/Russia? So we have Russia selling them the tech,China opposing almost anything we do, plus we have a program thats been going on for 18 years! Anyone have confidence in our CIA? I dont but anyways they have stuff buried deep and spread out. So we have this president wanting to wipe Israel off the map and he is one step away from having the big one. Plus he is telling the palastinians to invade & destroy Israel. He needs a spanking, this is a real threat, this is the real reason folks go to war unlike the stuff Bush dreamed up in Iraq. He needs a spanking big time.
I still have a reasonable level of confidence in the CIA. BushCo used some shifty tactics to get their intelligence on Iraq, the CIA was much more nuanced. Tenet was a sellout for the 'slam dunk' comment, but I think the more you dig (if this Fitzmas thing turns into an examination of the rationale for war) the more you'll find that the CIA wasn't chomping at the bit, but were pressured to provide intelligence that supported the Bush administration's viewpoint.

And even if he does 'need a spanking' who are we or the Israelis to give it to him? Are we suddenly Team America -- World Police come to life? Would you approve of someone 'spanking' Dubya right now, even though he sorely deserves it? Or would you say that Americans have the right to deal with our problems, that foreign nations should step off and not interfere?

Like I said, they're not an immediate threat and aren't likely to become one until several years from now. Until they are an immediate threat to our national security, let's keep the military options in the pants, OK? Let's concentrate on rebuilding our Big Stick (which sorely needs it at the moment) and practice speaking softly again. Diplomacy is much more likely to provide a satisfactory outcome. We've already got most of the Middle East pissed off at us, let's not try for every single person throughout the region!
 

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
17,915
1,466
Palookaville
Just a small point of geographical accuracy: Iran is not generally considered to be part of the Middle East.

Whatever we call this part of the world, I think we're seeing the real effects of U.S. military presence in two of Iran's neighbors. The government there had become steadily less hard-line on the subject of Israel and generally friendlier to the West over the last decade. Their sharp turn back toward militancy came hard on the heals of the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. It's difficult to deny the connection.
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
IJ Reilly said:
Just a small point of geographical accuracy: Iran is not generally considered to be part of the Middle East.
Geographically no, politically yes. I was making a point about the political situation. However, I did note the geographical distinction by refering to 'the region' instead of 'the Middle East' after adding in Iran. (Note I also did not refer to them all as 'Arabs' either.)

Whatever we call this part of the world, I think we're seeing the real effects of U.S. military presence in two of Iran's neighbors. The government there had become steadily less hard-line on the subject of Israel and generally friendlier to the West over the last decade. Their sharp turn back toward militancy came hard on the heals of the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. It's difficult to deny the connection.
Right. Imagine how we'd be feeling if China had come invaded and toppled the governments of Mexico and Canada, and to top it off were making threatening noises about the US itself. We'd be pretty uncomfortable, and might be contemplating some pretty extreme stuff. At the very least we'd be working our asses off to get as many nukes as we could, and there might be the occasional bellicose threat to not look so weak to your constituents...
 

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
17,915
1,466
Palookaville
mactastic said:
Geographically no, politically yes. I was making a point about the political situation. However, I did note the geographical distinction by refering to 'the region' instead of 'the Middle East' after adding in Iran. (Note I also did not refer to them all as 'Arabs' either.)
You certainly know my little obsessions. ;)

Actually, I was responding to Milo's comment about the Middle East.

Politically, I think Iran is about as much a part of the Middle East as Turkey. They are part of the Middle East for some purposes but part of Asia and Europe (respectively) for others.
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
Im surprised more people arent talking about this one, a leader of a major country calling for the killing and murder of a whole country. Deplorable in the 21 st century in my view. Islam , and we arent getting a peep out of all those Arabian Countries. This is what Israel is dealing with and has for 50 years. Also he spoke of the death to America yada yada yada. Its the 70s all over with our vietnam,gas crises and another round of Iran.:cool:
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
mactastic said:
Right. Imagine how we'd be feeling if China had come invaded and toppled the governments of Mexico and Canada
Imagine how the arabs felt when the Zionists came in, bombed hotels, killed their children and took their land by force.

It's no secret why most arabs hate Israelis.
 

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
2,143
1,362
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
iGary said:
Imagine how the arabs felt when the Zionists came in, bombed hotels, killed their children and took their land by force.

It's no secret why arabs hate Israelis.
I agree mostly with your post except that not all Arabs(and Persians{IJ}) by any means hate Israelis,they mostly don't like the state of Israel and the way it was established at the cost of the majority of Palestinians.It always reminds me of how most child abusers have been the victims of child abuse themselves,I don't understand how such major victims can be such abusers given their history.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
Peterkro said:
I agree mostly with your post except that not all Arabs(and Persians{IJ}) by any means hate Israelis,they mostly don't like the state of Israel and the way it was established at the cost of the majority of Palestinians.It always reminds me of how most child abusers have been the victims of child abuse themselves,I don't understand how such major victims can be such abusers given their history.
I fixed it so say "most" arabs. ;)
 

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
17,915
1,466
Palookaville
I think we're dealing with a gross oversimplification here. The state of Israel was formed out of a conflict between Jews and Arabs in Palestine, but this conflict was essentially the product of Great Britain's colonial settlement policies. Jews didn't invade Palestine like some sort of conquering army, they were permitted to emigrate there by the colonial power in Palestine. The numbers increased vastly after World War II, which led to growing resentment by Palestinian Arabs, armed conflict between Jews and Arabs, and ultimately, to the formation of the state of Israel. There was plenty of killing to go around, on both sides.
 

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
2,076
28
Washington, DC
IJ Reilly said:
You certainly know my little obsessions. ;)

Actually, I was responding to Milo's comment about the Middle East.

Politically, I think Iran is about as much a part of the Middle East as Turkey. They are part of the Middle East for some purposes but part of Asia and Europe (respectively) for others.
Who says Iran isn't in the Middle East?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East

Sounds to me like Iran/Persia has always been catagorized as part of the Middle East.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
I wonder if they realize how ironic it is that they are fighting over holy land. I mean, I'm pretty sure God doesn't want anybody blowing it up. But hey, what do I know.
 

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
1,455
0
The nations of the world need to unite against this Iranian president and take him out.

The United Nations was formed because the world failed to properly deal with another maniac (Hitler) who wanted to rid the world of a group of people.