Iranian Man Sentenced to Blinding Receives 11th Hour Pardon

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iStudentUK, Jul 31, 2011.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

In 2004 Majid Movahedi attacked Ameneh Bahrami with acid, leaving her blind and disfigured, after she refused his marriage proposal.

Bahrami had claimed the right of "qisas" where the punishment given is retributive, and Movahedi was due to be blinded in a hospital today. However, following international condemnation Bahrami pardoned Movahedi "for my country, since all other countries were looking to see what we would do."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-14356886

I remember this when the sentence was given in 2008, and I was shocked even for a country like Iran. Simple retribution is no way for a justice system to operate. I do wonder whether Bahrami was pressured into issuing a pardon as this has become quite embarrassing for Iran.

I guess this is the most apt time to quote Gandhi- "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

2. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

:eek: How horrific! While I definitely don't think it would've been right to put his eyes out, I hope he still got a pretty severe punishment for attacking her with acid. :mad:

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

For sure there was high pressure.

Though I can easy understand her feelings to get revange I also believe that a sentence in what ever way should be "executed" by the public as 3rd party and not by the victim direct. That can easy lead to a chain reaction and spiral of revange desires. I have in general no problem with Islam and respect them as different religion group; but the legal system they still keep up is too crual in many ways.

I just hope that she gets now all required medical and other support she needs !

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just prison for this idiot, there is no real reason to blind him too. But if they let him out on "compassionate" grounds for for anything other than leprosy I'll be pissed.

5. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Apparently she has had a lot of support from various charities and has had 17 operations in Spain. Part of the revised situation may be for Movahedi to make reparations, however reliable information is hard to find.

6. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Gonna have to disagree...

an eye for an eye, pun intended.

What he did to this woman was horrific, and should be made an example of. There are some people who will learn no other way, or life in prison without parole.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If she "pushes the button", sure.

Then let him go free, and become a burden on his family, as she is on hers.

But wait, the Lord has weighed in on this matter, so 'we' cannot allow this to happen.

“Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” ... Right. :rolleyes:

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The bloodthirst of religion. Desperately hanging on by the skin of it's teeth in 2011. Glad to see it losing it's grip.

9. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    I agree only one person should remain blind with this experience and simply blinding him is not the answer.

The solution is easy. He took her eyes, he should give her his eyes. We have surgery for that. Then he can truly live the extent of his crime.

10. 184550 Guest

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this gesture is in some way related to the start of Ramadan, which starts tomorrow (August 1).

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Is this actually surgically possible? I have never heard about this?

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Not without "issues", still the parts of his eyes that are suited for transplant could give others a chance to see again.

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Not all countries will observe that Ramadan starts on the 1st August :)

14. 184550 Guest

And your point is relevant how?

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am correcting a smaller error made by you.

If you assume that this is a gesture of forgiveness, which does play a part in Ramadan, then I could live with that.

16. 184550 Guest

Still haven't pointed out what that error supposedly was or how your prior point was relevant. I'm waiting with bated breath.

What else would it be considered?

Guardian

17. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So if one wants to get off lightly they should pour acid in women's eyes in august. What a legal system.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

IMO ... public stoning sounds fair ... and I would hope he catches a few in the eyes

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Nothing fairer than stoning an outnumbered and defenseless human being.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The great irony is both the stoning and Majid Movahedi's attack are driven by the same sense of justice: anachronistic structures of honor and retribution.