Iranian nuclear agreement: how long until the hardliners begin their backstabbing ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by takao, Apr 3, 2015.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

2. kendall69 macrumors regular

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So why do sources like the Economist, who are hardly pro-Iran support the deal?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

So the iranian government was blackmailed into abandoning their nuclear program.

Success! :rolleyes:

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I for one think that this could be a very important step in normalising relations with Iran.

Well lets hope that this brings some stability and prosperity to a region which could really use it.

The Iran of 2015 is not the Iran of 1978/79, plus anything that stops the proliferation of WMD by peaceful methods should be praised.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I agree with you on this. :eek: But, I'd like to see the deal finalised, because in some respects it looks like they've kicked the details into the long grass.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its an impressive achievement. One that I think President Obama, through his patient approach to Iran throughout his entire Presidency, can take a great deal of credit for.

Of course, that is at least half the problem with it.

But realistically, its probably the best deal we in the West could have hoped for. It severely reduces Iran's ability to enrich uranium; it repurposes Irans biggest facilities; and it puts international inspectors on the ground for at least the next 15 years.

There is no way any sort of aerial assault - Israeli; US; coalition; whatever - could have achieved that.

Critics complain that its only in effect for ten or fifteen years. I think that is our opportunity. Because in ten or fifteen years Iran's government hasn't changed its tune about Israel; is still holding "Death to America" pep rallies; and is still sponsoring terrorism - then we've failed.

For the most part Iranians - and especially young, educated Iranians - have a great affection for and admiration for the United States. Lets give them a chance to change their own country for the better.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Iran is possibly the only place on earth where people take personal risks to hold an occasional pro-Western demonstration. It always perplexed me that we let Iran-US relations get so hostile. I know, I know, CIA meddling Iranian affairs and all that, but that was a long time ago. It seems like a ongoing tragedy of mistrust and miscommunication ever since.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt the Iranian hardliners will do anything to try to hurt the deal. They know that the Republicans in the US will try their hardest to sink the deal, and if that happens then they can use it as evidence that the Americans can't be trusted and why Iran needs a nuclear weapon.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I fully support Iran going nuclear.

Iran is a natural American ally and eventually we'll get a real president who will bring these two nations together for our common interest.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'll never understand the Saudis = good Iran = bad thing. Iran's arguably one of the more stable countries in the Middle East, and seemingly one with far less animosity toward US citizens.

13. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It might stem from Israel hating Iran and the US feeling the need to defend Israel at all costs?

P-Worm

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I think the fact that 13% of our gross oil imports comes from Saudi Arabia is a pretty big factor as well.

15. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

He has always been pro-war. Maybe he was abused as a child..?

[​IMG]

16. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

LOL.

Iran aren't the good guys any more than Saudi are the good guys. They're both backwards fascist theocracies who share few of our values.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I assume the discussion on the right will range between 'worst deal since Munich, or worst deal ever?'

And of course, Barack Obama will be cast as the great appeaser, with nary a mention that Sainted Ronald of Raygun saw fit to sell weapons to Iran AFTER Iran murdered 241 American military personnel in Beirut.

18. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

I had someone ask me about the Iran deal yesterday. I explained it like this:

In one of the first episodes of Breaking Bad, the main character, Walter, has a guy who tried to kill him and his partner tied up in a basement. For the sake of morality, Walter, struggles with himself to kill the guy who tried to kill him. He starts to feed him food and water and one day he breaks a plate while bringing it down to him. Unbeknownst to Walter, at the time, the guy grabs a plate shard and pockets it. Walter is about to set the guy free after he promises to forget the whole ordeal and let Walter live. Right before he does, he notices that the guy took a plate shard from his broken plate and is planning on killing him once he sets him free.

The United States and its allies just gave the guy with a plate shard billions of dollars.

And that, is the Iran Deal.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Except in this case the man with the shard has agreed upon inspections for every conceivable path towards using the shard...

20. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Under what Constitutional authority may we tell another country what to do/not do?

21. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

When diplomacy is what helps keep a country a country. Do you want to go back to feudal times or do you prefer using your iPhone on the subway? ;)

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What are you talking about?

23. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

And what happens if down the line they say no to the inspections or say they were crossing their fingers? An American lawyer is going to sue them?

----------

I meant to quote Praxis. I got to yours don't worry.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So the truth is that you haven't even looked into the agreement. If Iran decides to not allow an inspection, it goes to a UN panel that decides if the inspection is warranted. If they decide yes, inspections occur. Iran agreed to this framework.

How would Iran benefit by reneging on this deal? They know they can't win a war, and they face destruction if they ever attempt to use a nuke...which by the way it's nearly impossible to enrich to weapons grade without the world knowing about it. The infrastructure required (along with the supply lines) are under intense scrutiny.

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Iran ratified the UN Nuclear Non-Proliferation treaty in 1968.

While it remains a signatory, it must comply with the treaty terms.

http://www.un.org/disarmament/WMD/Nuclear/NPT.shtml