Iranian Students Storm British Embassy in Tehran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eljanitor, Nov 29, 2011.

1. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

As if theres not enough trouble going on in the middle east, someone felt that this would be a good idea without realizing the possible repercussions of what it may cause. I think that out of all of the bad ideas one could have in their lifetime it would be to attack a British, or US Embassy.

Embassies are protected areas in other countries that perform diplomatic functions, and technically can be considered foreign soil in the country that they are in. According to the AP what happened here was an invasion of a British embassy in Iran by Iranian students where they looted and burned one of the embassies vehicles. So therefore the people of Iran attacked Brittan.

Whats your take on this?

You can read the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/iranian-students-storm-british-embassy-tehran-123229726.html

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is a shame that Britain didn't have any armed guards to shoot them as they entered the gates.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Are these the moderate ones or the radical minority ones?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

My take ? I am astonished that I didn't even know Great Britain HAD an embassy in Tehran.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They probably have Nationals in the country that would need their services/protection.

Plus, it helps to engage the Enemy, the better understand him.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Must of been one hell of a rush week for Iota Alpha Chi.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

More like radical majority ones ;)

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I don't think this kind of thing can happen unless the Iranian government lets it happen. Given that...

like I was saying..

reuters uk

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh look, 18-22 year olds thinking it's fun do radical things without thinking

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Larijani: Students Represent Iran's Public Opinion

well closing the embassy is more or less what the demonstrators wanted anyway. As it is, the Iranian parliament voted to downgrade relations with the UK just last Sunday. Clearly the demonstrators have support within the ruling party;

link

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Obeygiant is correct, this was either staged or OK'd by the Iranian govt. If you have Oil you can do anything you want, notice Russia and China always back these guys no matter what. They are allowed to play by their own rules it appears.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Give these kids a break. They were only trying to show their solidarity with the Occupy Movement. :p

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The absolutely wonderful part about all this is that Iran has no problem invading other's sovereignty (I believe the word for embassy in Iran is "target"), but claims moral outrage when student hikers get anywhere near their border.

My take on this is that Iran has gotten really good at bullying the rest of the world. They commit acts of aggression that range from embassy invasions to hostage taking to developing a nuclear program, and no one has the balls to stop them. Iran knows that in any game of brinksmanship, it will walk away with some kind of advantage because no one wants to call its bluff.

Iran's nuclear program follows this pattern as well. Iran's slow and steady progress towards nuclear weaponry was for a long time a tactic to gain concessions. Today the sanctions are probably only a mild deterrent; the leadership doesn't care if the poor starve, and the ability to threaten the only formidable power in the region (Israel) with nuclear capabilities is far more important for their agenda.

Alas, because Western Europe has an ineffective military, any burden to actually counter Iran is going to be borne by the United States. But, we wasted the last decade on a war that eliminated a major Iranian enemy, not to mention the political and economic resources we've squandered that went into that war.

In a parallel universe, NATO would have had the ability to blockade Iran and use targeted strikes to wipe out its military resources. I have no idea how we should handle them today given the realities of the world today, but I don't have much confidence in sanctions to actually solve the problem.