Iran's Morality Police Bans Barbie

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Barbie is a bad influence on young Iranian girls. :p

Washington Post

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ah, the happy effects of a theocracy.

Not that I'm crazy about Barbie and the distorted body image it presents to youngsters - but control of the state by organized religion is a horror which scares me to death.:(

And the lunacy of Rick Santorum and his ilk (and supporters) is equally terrifying.

(What's that I see on the horizon. Why, it's PRSI - and it seems to be rapidly approaching!)

3. Huntn, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

We want to prepare girls to become up and coming young women content to wear a bag, not show off their physiques in public, you know it will lure some poor male into in acting like an animal which btw is not his fault. It's all the woman's fault for being sexually attractive...

4. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I wish they'd ban that crap in the states.

lol

5. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Iran's morality police needs to approach this differently. Barbies don't think for themselves and they don't talk back - aren't those important traits of every believing person? I think they can use barbies to teach the country's youth an important lesson.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps we can dissect the thinking behind this aspect of Islam?

I can agree that girls should not have unreasonable expectations placed upon them by a third-party, but beyond that there must be other reasons. The best for girls in not always on the radar for Islamic clerics.

Let us consider the 'open-season' on Islamic woman that are not dressed correctly. Why? Are all Islamic men just tools of Allah, free to rape transgressors where they find them? Not nice.

Well, I believe it's not unlike a grab-bag when I was younger. You never know what you are going to get, when you pay your five bucks. And if you are unlucky, well, no one will know. Kids will result within Islam, and strengthen the religion as a result.

No womb goes unfulfilled in the name of Islam, if you will.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks for turning a discussion about a bad Islamic Rule into an Anti-Christian debate... :eek:

:rolleyes:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

renewed will be here shortly.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I tend to agree. If Barbie represents "Western culture" we and all our daughters are doomed.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

For me, bad Islamic rules and bad Christian rules come form the same source - an oppressive interpretation of a mythological belief system. Bad is bad - Islamic or Christian.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This just reinforces my belief that religious fanatics, should have no place in a modern world.:(

12. Fazzy macrumors 6502

You really love to bash Islam at every chance you get don't you? Remember, most muslims are peaceful, so your insult on the religion offends lots of people.

13. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

14. iJohnHenry, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Muslims is a proper name, and should always be capitalized.

You degrade their religion by not doing so.

Anyway, it will always be my pleasure to degrade any 'religion' the denigrates Women, and treats them scarcely better than brood mares.

He went for Door #1, and has not been heard from since. :(

Attached Files:

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

There are no Kens in Iran. ;)

17. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Oh Noes, does that mean he's back in his closet again?

KGB:D

18. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Do a little research before jumping on your moral high horse.
    I'm not saying I agree with Iran, but like I said before, your vague generalizations include ALL Muslims, not just the few nutters that you talk about

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Few nutters"? How many woman under Islam are required to wear the burka?

I see this 'garment' as a symbol of their repression.

Your serve.

20. Fazzy macrumors 6502

By burka i assume you mean full veil, right? Show me where it says this is a necessity. It is a choice of the woman to wear a full face covering veil, but then again its ignorant misconceptions like yours that lead you to think the way you do.

Your move.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, accepted.

I pick up a Lady for a 'service' I drive for that is a Muslim. It is stated on the assignment that she prefers Woman drivers, due to her religion. This is not really possible, due to a lack of Women drivers.

She is not veiled, but wears all the traditional garments.

Her Daughter comes out to the car with her, to assist her in getting in. The Daughter wears Western clothing, but all the time looks fervently about to see if any of the neighbours are looking at her. This is a married woman, with young children for God's sake!! And you consider this 'normal' behaviour for an adult?

Men of Islam would never stand for such an attitude in themselves.

Perhaps she is afraid of a roving gang of extremists that might swoop down on her, and rape her in the name of Allah.

Your putt.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've been watching the show All American Muslim and it really is shocking how women are treated, even the "Americanized" ones born and raised in the US

One of them wears a hijab and wants to move out of her parents' house in Dearborn to move to Washington for more job opportunity. I'm guessing she's in her late 20s to early 30s, more than old enough to move out. But in the Muslim religion, if you're a single female, you live with your parents until you marry. Period. She wants to move to DC and the parents will not allow it.

Another one on that show wants to open her club. Now this particular one doesn't wear the hijab and dresses in tank tops and shows off some skin. She's married and has kids as well as a full time job, but really wants to open this night club. No one in the community will support her on it. Women aren't supposed to run businesses, they say she can't handle it. Her mother doesn't support it at all, according to her, the job of a woman is to stay home and pop out kids every 9 months.

What kind of parent doesn't want to see their child succeed in life? Ridiculous.

And then a third woman went to the gym and accidentally shook the hand of a male employee there. Oops, not supposed to do that. She had to confess this to her husband and seek his forgiveness. He forgave her because it was a one time accident and he doesn't think she got turned on by shaking this guy's hand. Because, you know, nothing gets me all horny like shaking someone's hand

23. Fazzy macrumors 6502

So you assumed she was being paranoid about what her neighbors would think about her appearance. What proof do you have that she was doing this because she wasn't dressed in an Islamic manner? Did you ask her? I reiterate, misconceptions such as these simply show your ignorance of a seventh of the worlds population.
    I think one of my favourite sayings is relevant here: ASSUME: it makes an ASS out of YOU and ME

----------

Ive never seen the show but going off the fact its a reality type show (correct me if I'm wrong) sensationalism will be used to maximize interest and ratings. Therefore a huge chunk of what is portrayed on that show is not true to real life. Take it with a pinch of salt, don't treat it as gospel.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

There was not a thing wrong with her appearance, in fact she was cute by my standards. Acne had treated her badly, but that was no fault of hers. I see past that lapse in good judgment by God/Allah.

No, I did not. I am not the dullard you choose to believe I am. I believe she was concerned that another male would see her. I have met her several times previously, the first time at the door to her house, and she was cautious even then, when she knew I was coming to help her Mother.

Now we know why it is so. :)

25. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Gah, this is like arguing with a brick wall!:D
    Firstly, I did not say I believe you to be a slow person.
    Secondly, as I've already said, you are assuming an awful lot without knowing the story. You believe she was concerned that another male would see her (maybe confront her?). However, seeing how you like to critisize all things about Islam, its not hard to believe this is the first conclusion you would jump to.

Your turn.