Iraq declares end of Isis after conquest of Mosul

weckart

macrumors 601
Nov 7, 2004
As cynical as this sounds - I don't believe there will or can be an end to ISIS. Not completely.
The Shia dominated government will see to that. It is good for any amount of popular discontent. Just watch now that the Kurds are planning an independence move in the North for the next fireworks.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
As cynical as this sounds - I don't believe there will or can be an end to ISIS. Not completely.
Just today the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point issued a study that finds ISIS returning to a guerrilla style insurgency, one that will (IMO) endure for decades ...
“Pushing the Islamic State out as the formal governing party in a territory is not a sufficient development when it comes to ending the group’s ability to enact violence against individuals in Iraq and Syria,”
“ISIS has anticipated the loss of its government for over a year,” said William McCants, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and the author of “The ISIS Apocalypse: The History, Strategy and Doomsday Vision of the Islamic State.” “They are prepared to wage a war from the shadows to reclaim it.”
Researchers also found that the Islamic State maintained the resources and expertise to carry out strikes against areas in which it was defeated, but seemed focused on avoiding operations that would exhaust its strengths in those areas, and on its ability to fight there in the future.
The quotes above are found in a New York Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/world/middleeast/isis-attacks-syria-iraq-study.html

The full study can be found at: https://ctc.usma.edu/posts/the-fight-goes-on-the-islamic-states-continuing-military-efforts-in-liberated-cities

TL;DR, any claim of the "end of ISIS" is utterly delusional.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
They're still holding Raqqa, so I don't know how it can be "the end of ISIS"