Iraq declares end of Isis after conquest of Mosul

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jun 29, 2017.

1. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

2. samcraig macrumors P6

As cynical as this sounds - I don't believe there will or can be an end to ISIS. Not completely.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Different name same idealogy.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

The Shia dominated government will see to that. It is good for any amount of popular discontent. Just watch now that the Kurds are planning an independence move in the North for the next fireworks.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just today the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point issued a study that finds ISIS returning to a guerrilla style insurgency, one that will (IMO) endure for decades ...
    The quotes above are found in a New York Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/world/middleeast/isis-attacks-syria-iraq-study.html

The full study can be found at: https://ctc.usma.edu/posts/the-figh...ntinuing-military-efforts-in-liberated-cities

TL;DR, any claim of the "end of ISIS" is utterly delusional.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

True, even though as @citizenzen pointed out from West Points Combat Terrorism study, their functioning as a guerilla insurgency means they're going to be around for a while.

Still, it does put these "Obama handed the ME to ISIS" meme right into the shredder.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

They're still holding Raqqa, so I don't know how it can be "the end of ISIS"