Iraq is on the verge of collapse: report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 17, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reuters

i'm curious as to how this imminent collapse would be different from the situation today.

2. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Tomorrow: It's like today, only more so.

There's your answer.

Either way, it really doesn't matter to the ultimate outcome - ignominous and pathetic defeat for the U.S.... it's a done deal. That outcome is not in doubt, the only question is "when".

3. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah I thought the place had collapsed a long time ago. :confused:

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i thought the place was collapsing for like 3 years now.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Shoot, I thought we were in the last throes 2 years ago... We'll turn a corner soon. Besides, the increase in violence is a sign of how desperate the enemy is. Also a decrease in violence is a sign of how weak they are. And a spike in Americans getting killed means we've almost won.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's what I've been thinking. On the verge? It's been there pretty much the whole time. Wondering how much worse it can get, but apparently, it will.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

We can't blame the people of Iraq for a no confidence attitude towards their current leadership.

From the very beginning, we allowed imperialistic greed and corruption to take over where we should have been providing them with jobs and with those jobs, pride in their own country.

I know there are troops on the ground trying to help, trying to make a difference, but those images from Abu Ghraib will never be forgotten.

We could have had an important alliance with these people, but now
    they will only remember the death and destruction we brought them.

Once again I have to point to Eisenhower's warning about the military industrial complex.

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz sold out our country to benefit
    these industrial tycoons.

Now our own country is the one that needs a regime change.

Until we show the rest of the world that this manner of corruption will not be tolerated, there will be no respect for anything we try to do.

I strongly believe that the only way to end this nightmare with any honor at
    all, is to prosecute the scoundrels who mislead everyone.

If we fail to show others how a democracy " should work" then how
    can we hope to inspire others to follow our plan?

10. Queso macrumors G4

The only way forward is to very publicly abandon the idea of keeping Iraq together. If the West had insisted Yugoslavia stay in one piece they'd still be at each other's throats.

Three separate states based on ethnic ties. Invite everyone to the table to draw the boundaries but make it quite clear at the start that nobody is going to walk away perfectly happy. Yeah, they'll argue and yeah, they'll still be fighting in some areas, but at least there will also be places where security can be guaranteed.

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's unfortunate that we ourselves cannot seem to emphasize the importance and wisdom of the separation of church and state.

We have plenty of problems of our own neutralizing the right wing fundies' desire to force their beliefs on others.

So once again, how do we lead others when we can't keep " the church "
    out of our own government.

This is not about Christians are right and Muslims are wrong.

It's about keeping religion out of government.

I don't have the answer on how to enable cultural change in a place with
    so much history founded on the manipulation of people's beliefs.

We know it's all about power and money, but how do we get them to see that they are being mislead?

It's not a matter of questioning their faith, but questioning the true motives
    of their leadership.