Iraq to Spend $5 Billion on U.S. Weapons: Deals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Feb 24, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Stop! I want to get off! It's like a big carousel.

Sell arms > fall out > fight > destroy > make friends> sell arms.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Surely nothing bad will come of arming Iraq THIS time.

I wonder if we'll even sell them more WMDs so that in another 20 years we can claim that we know they have them, and invade all over again...

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

yay now they can sell their oil to the US for dirt cheap, and use the cash to buy american weapons!

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bingo, the U.S. tax payer gets screwed again, and again,and again.............

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Seriously, I mean, come on. Their new government has no appearance of being a mere puppet government that will get overthrown in a few years months and will undoubtedly be superseded by a new government intent on either nuking Israel, nuking Iran, capturing the Arab Emirates, or sending terrorists to Manhattan. I couldn't see that possibly happening.

Maybe we should just give them fusion bombs and drone bombers while we're at it. :rolleyes:

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Iraq is going to spend funds on re-arming itself.

Someone has to be the supplier.

I would say better from the US than Russia or China.

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Why, might I ask, is that?

Genuine question, not sarcasm.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Iraq has neighbors such as Iran that it wants to be able to defend against.

10. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The same Iran that has never initiated an attack on another country? I still don't get the 'better from us than from them' attitude, though.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The United States is not a threat to Iraq's sovereignty unlike China, Russia, and Iran.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

jobs for our workers instead of jobs for some other country's workers

13. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

5 Billion dollars that the US manufacturing sector will be recieving, putting US citizens to work, putting money in thier pockets and food on their tables.

More domestic production is always a good thing durring times like these.

14. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Why would the Iranians want to attack Iraq? They seem to understand the pointless-ness of attacking people, seeing as they haven't done so in over 2 centuries.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Possible retaliation from the Iran-Iraq war.

Possible concern over Ahmadinejad's various threats to other countries.

Note, nothing will happen now with the US and it's Allies in Iraq. But down the road when the US and it's Allies no longer have a presence. Build up of military does not occur over night. It takes time in years for things to happen.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It is funny how this defense minister guy said that American weapons are the best, when Iraqi officers used to complain that the gov't wanted to get M16s and M4s instead of AK-47 that they trusted, could fix, could find ammo for, get for really good prices, and can work better in the desert. :p

It was on the radio on NPR a while back, I will try to find the link.

Edit: link

17. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Threats to what other countries? The Iranians suffered greatly and heavily condemned the Iran-Iraq war, why would they then want to inflict the same suffering in the same way on the Iraqis, who have already suffered immensely as a result of the US invasion (over a million killed I believe)? Why do you think "revenge" would be a valid motivator for the Iranians for war? Especially since the man who committed the atrocities during the Iran-Iraq war, i.e. Saddam, is no longer with us?

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Since when are China or Russia a threat to Iraq's 'sovereignty'?

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That was the lame joke. Out of all the countries that are cited to be a threat to the sovereignty of Iraq, it's the US that poses, and has proven to be, the greatest threat.

If I were a middle eastern country I'd be stockpiling weapons like mad and/or propagating the myth that I had nuclear capabilities to avoid invasion/increase my diplomatic weight.

20. toontra macrumors 6502

I would have hoped that if we'd learnt anything in the last 10 years (more especially recently) then it was that putting short-term fiscal or political ideologies before medium/long term objectives is a bad idea.

The ship is broken - now is the time to sort out priorities. Let's try and fix it properly, rather than patch it up with short-term employment wheezes and arms dealing.

21. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Sorry .Andy, I'm a bit slow this morning.

22. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Trillions paid by the many, billions raked in by the few. Oh, and then there's the blood.

23. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't be fooled by the concept of the word “Defense”. It’s a euphemism for “Offense” too. Who’s to say that Iraq does not want to attack Iran? Who’s to say that the US doesn’t want to help this event? If you look at both distant and near past, there have been tensions between these 3 factions for a long time. I wouldn’t be surprised that the reason why Iran has been trying to de-stabilize the occupation and overthrow the current Iraqi regime is because they want to avoid this “team-up” against them. So if you think that Iraq’s peace means the end of war in the middle-east and it’s finally over and we can all become the United Earth Federation of the Milky Way…you prolly will be pretty upset in the future. As for the USA, they sank part of the Iranian fleet back then and they only let some go because they felt sorry for them. This time there might not be such holding back. I don’t think the Iraqi’s would. ;)

24. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Be patient. Small steps first...
    Iraq Seeks F-16 Fighters

:D

25. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

Remeber that Oil-for-Food program?

Now it's Oil-for-Arms! ;)

In 2008...
    Iraq became one of the top current purchasers of U.S. military equipment with their army trading its AK-47 assault rifles for the more accurate U.S. M-16 and M-4 rifles, among other equipment.[235] This year alone, Iraq accounts for more than $12.5 billion of the $34 billion US weapon sales to foreign countries (not including the potential F-16 fighter planes.)[236]
    Iraq sought 36 F-16’s, the most sophisticated weapons system Iraq has attempted to purchase. The Pentagon notified Congress that it had approved the sale of 24 American attack helicopters to Iraq, valued at as much as $2.4 billion. Including the helicopters, Iraq announced plans to purchase at least $10 billion in U.S. tanks and armored vehicles, transport planes and other battlefield equipment and services. Over the summer, the Defense Department announced that the Iraqi government wanted to order more than 400 armored vehicles and other equipment worth up to $3 billion, and six C-130J transport planes, worth up to $1.5 billion.[237][238]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_war#Iraqi_security_forces_rearm