Iraq war officially over

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Dec 15, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

AP

Was it worth it? I can probably guess what you'll say.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hell no

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How can you even ask that question?

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

5. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Bingo.

I wonder if there was no war if Saddam would have been toppled along with Gaddafi.

6. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

It's been a long time coming. I'm glad that flag is no longer flying. Was it worth it? Absolutely not.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The war was over within a few months (mission accomplished - capture of Saddam), but our occupation has lasted years. I'm glad that's finally over.

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well it's a good job we stopped all those WMDs being launched. How right Bush and Blair were!

9. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

A few strategic bombing campaigns and a special operations mission to secure Saddam would of been all we needed to do. Instead we stayed for nearly a decade as a police force.

10. MikeWilson macrumors 6502a

100,000 is a conservative estimate of dead Iraqi's and applies only to documented civilian deaths. They're not all documented.

$800 billion would buy a lot of iPhones.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I couldn't be more proud to be an American. From Bush's "Mission Accomplished", to Cheney's "they will greet us as liberators", to Colin Powell's WMD UN speech to Wolfowitz's "they have ample funds to rebuild their country". America, **** yeah!

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Yep.

There are a variety of ways of measuring casualties that return different results, but a study pulished in the Lancet all the way back in 2006 put the number of people who died, directly or indirectly as a result of the war, at as many as 600,000. The equivalent, as a proportion of population size, would be 6,000,000 Americans. If a foreign country came in and killed 6m Americans to remove a dictator from power, would you say that was worth it?

It makes me absolutely sick to think about how much money has been thrown away killing people on the other side of the world while, here at home, we are being made to cut back on programs that help Americans eat, live and prosper.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Since we don't have a draft, less than 1% of the population fought two of our longest wars. Two wars that happened to put us in a massive hole. I say we let roughly 1% of the population fight the war on that debt. Seems reasonable to me.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I bet he would have been, it probably would have been one of the bloodier uprisings, but a lot fewer Iraqis would have died. Of course we have no way of knowing for sure, and it's entirely possible that once an uprising started Iran would have intervened to remove Saddam and caused a large regional war. But either way from the Americans perspective we would have had a lot fewer casualties if we hadn't gone in.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is a very good question. I tend to think he would have been. IF he had been, that means the US has wasted well over $2 trillion. The 32,000 who were injured are going to cost a fortune in medical bills.

18. wpotere Guest

Don't tell that to our soldiers that spent years over there. They will tell you otherwise.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Nothing could really justify a war like that. The Gulf War was an equally pointless war. For some reason US politics have revolved around who the current government hates less. It's always X dictator or politician in the region seen as an ally, and a few years later they're the target, again and again.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What sovereign nation were they at "war" with? We were the controlling force of Iraq, and the insurgency was a militant uprising against our control of the country.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's always better to believe you are accomplishing something than spinning your wheels acting as a carnival game target to help enrich contractors and friends of big government.

[​IMG]

For our trillions spent what did we accomplish for the U.S.?

22. wpotere Guest

I wasn't implying that it was pointless for us to be there as I didn't believe we should (weapons of mass destruction, yeah right...) even though I was with 4th ID when we rolled into Iraq in 03. What I was saying is that our troops and their leaders feel that we were there fighting a war on terrorism so to simply dismiss them and say that what they were doing is pointless is pretty insensitive considering the sacrifices they have made even if we feel it was misguided. They were fighting a war and should be given a little respect. ;)

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The worst thing about the Iraq war wasn't that it was stupid from an immediate tactical point of view... it was really stupid from a long term strategic point of view.

Without Saddam to keep it in check, now Iran has been free to become the ascendant force in the region.

Nice job!

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We couldn't have done it without your country's help. :D

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It was a pleasure! ;)

And FWIW I blame Blair more than Bush 'cos he was smart enough to know better.