Iraq War was for oil?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, May 4, 2008.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

McCain Suggests Iraq War Is About Oil

And before anyone tries to use his new defense where he says he was talking about the previous Iraq war:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/02/mccain-implies-iraq-war-i_n_99866.html

Mission Accomplished?

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Of coruse it was. You didn't think it was to liberate the good people of Iraq do you?

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I didnt read the links, but do you mean that the Iraq war was a means for the U.S. to be able to get oil?

If so, I doubt thats the case. If it was, than where is the oil???

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Obviously you didn't even read the original post, either.

Why get involved in a topic if you admittedly didn't read it?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I fully believe it was for the oil. But even still, our justification is that we're not simply taking the oil - we're just making sure that they have no choice but to sell it to us. So we're not only spending our time, money, and lives of soldiers to rebuild a country that we have no stake in, but we're then providing further funding by purchasing the oil.

I fully believe we have no place there, but at this point, with all that we've done for the country and all the rebuilding we've done for the people - give us the damn oil. In an attempt to be "equal" I would say to just take some of it (not like they won't have plenty to still sell) and call it quits. It won't bring back the soldiers we lost, but it'll loosen the noose of our current downward spiraling economy.

*steps off soap box*

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I can hardly believe this post. "all that we've done for the country and all the rebuilding we've done for the people"???? Hundreds of thousands dead, infrastructure flattened, society destroyed, status of women immeasurably worsened, corruption vastly increased, theocrats empowered, rebuilding a total failure. And for this you want a reward? Get real. :mad:

8. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Look at the country as it was, ruled by a tyrant with people disappearing and being killed by the person supposed to be taking care of them. The US hasn't made it any harder on women. We've provided food and resources and had contractors over there rebuilding much of the country. Don't take this the wrong way - I am in no way justifying us being there. Like I said, I think it's none of our business what happens in Iraq. The US needs to let countries rise or fall on their own and stop trying to save the world. But after all the money and lives put into the country, we either need to call it quits or balance it out. Our economy is suffering for a war that serves no purpose to our country, only theirs.

9. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

^Your 2 posts in this thread genuinely scare me.

What you're saying is totally illogical.

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I think we need to add this to the 'Awareness of the Iraq war' thread, as an example of some people's thinking.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Women in Iraq before the invasion had a far better status than in any other Arab state. Now that the mullahs have been let loose on them, they are far worse off.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...of-iraq-the-war-is-just-beginning-481497.html
    Right
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10204557
    Your war criminal of a president should have thought of that before he decided to launch an illegal invasion.

12. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

For all the nonsense going back and forth - this is the one thing I'll agree with fully. Nothing else matters other than that we never should've started it in the first place. No one person can claim full knowledge of everything going on and I don't pretend to know the details. I'm not going to argue about something I had nothing to do with and don't have any direct influence on from this point forward. There's no use.

13. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

No. Wars are fought for various reasons. Lets not be too simplistic and say it was "only for oil."

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Almost none of them good.

15. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I will agree with that.

16. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

And enough are to justify having a powerful military.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, a powerful military is always looking for employment.

18. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I'm going to agree with newappleboy and say that if we're going to the trouble of invading and occupying a country, shouldn't we just take their resources once we're there? That's how wars of aggresion work, isn't it?

But no, Dubya and Darth had to put lipstick on the pig to sell the war to the people. Now we've got nothing to show for our efforts. They're even ****-ups at being war-mongering *******s.

It's like our Consitution and form of government have caused just barely enough interference to keep them from doing what they'd really like to do - rule by fiat.

19. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

We were never attacked by Iraq! We invaded their country!

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

That is neo-colonialism and it reeks. I do not want to live in a police state. And, that is what our future holds for us, if we continue with our insane middle-east policies. We do not have the legal/moral right to invade another country and steal their resources. There is no justification for this. The ranks of jihad are growing, and spreading throughout the region. Too many Americans think we are dealing with stupid, uncultured people. They are not. They understand what is going on and they will not stand for a foreign army to continue to occupy their country. Eventually, the entire country will take up arms against us.

22. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Err...

;)

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No indeed! the Iraq war was about WMD's we heard it from George Jr himself. Over and Over and Over from all of Bushco, WMDS!!!! who care's they didnt have any this administration didnt. Its why they outed out Plame and let Libby be the fall guy. missing WMDs. Now whats this about Oil?

24. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I think it's naive to think the Iraq war was about any one overriding concern. It's like saying the Civil War was fought over slavery. Sure, that was the main, or at least most visible, reason, but there were other very significant reasons that war was fought.

Same with Iraq. Terrorism, toppling Saddam, Oil, establishing a presence in the Middle East...there were many reasons for it. Some legitimate, some not.

25. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Hey fellas. I didn't say it, McCain did. :confused: Kinda the point. Would help if you did read the OP, thanks. ;)

Skunk covered most of it, and yes we are making things worse for them, don't kid yourself, but it's not their fault we invaded them. I won't defend the suicide attacks, nor what's being done to the innocents caught in the crossfire from either side, but to say they are receiving the good end of this is just ignoring the obvious. Still wondering where all the oil money is going, and it isn't to them (and yes I know that link is old, it's just one of many that are still relevant). We have no one to blame but ourselves for the money we and our contractors are wasting.

No one reads that anymore, which is why I stopped posting there.