Iraqi Christians flee Baghdad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 8, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And we're accomplishing what in Iraq again? We need to get out of there and let them do what they will in their own country. This is ridiculous. Yeah, Iraq is going to be a democracy. :rolleyes: (BTW- swarmlord- read the whole article, there will be no spoonfeeding here. ;))

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-070508iraq-sly,1,6347982.story?coll=chi-news-hed
    But Saddam was worse. :rolleyes:

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

(bump) I'm surprised no one has anything to say on this.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most of the Arab countries the people are not tolerant of other religions unfortunately. They just seem to repeat the mistakes that other religions have made in the past.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

There's not much to say really just another sad event that is the cluster **** of Iraq.When will humans get past the god illusion,not that they wouldn't find other reasons to hate each other but it would help.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What's to say? We've actually made things worse than they were under Saddam. See our earlier posts on how much worse things are for women, how much we've screwed up the utilities, and pretty much everything else. Obviously, most of us were no Saddam fans, so that's saying something. This is why those of us paying attention are so pissed off at how badly they've screwed up the WOT.

Then again, look at how badly we have treated our Islamic citizens at times, so once again, they learned it by watching us (sorry, old PSA reference).

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

OK, I'm up for it.

This is now officially the worst state Iraq has been in for two thousand years. Mission accomplished indeed!

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sounds like the Christians are getting a taste of their own medicine :rolleyes:

Not that this is right or anything, it's absolutely terrible. But if it's going to happen, at least they're picking on the right people ;)

8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I can't go along with that. I certainly have as much contempt for all religions (the belief systems, not the people who practice them), which certainly includes Christianity, but I can't say I'd support persecuting human beings based on their religious beliefs (as long as those beliefs do not conflict with the law of the land). I believe in freedom of religion.

So, I see this as regrettable.

Not unexpected either: we destroyed the governance of the country and therefore are ultimately responsible for all the consequences. As Powell warned Bush before the invasion: "the Pottery Barn rule applies. You break it, you own it."

This war has been a moral disaster for this country, for our image in the world, and nothing can change that now. Thanks, conservatives!

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree. I'm not saying it's right...it's not, and this situation in Iraq just exemplifies by hatred for religion. It does just seem a bit ironic though

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Chalk another one up for the Crusades.
    One of the few places in the world where Christianity and Islam could co-exist is gone.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since when did they ever co-exsist in the Middle East, if someone changes religions, the Muslims usually want to kill them.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Usually?

14. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Tariq Aziz (spelling??) was a Christian and in government in Iraq. I heard nothing about persecution of Christians in Iraq before the war, which would suggest that there was none - if there had been, Bush & Co would have been all over it, and it would have been splashed over every paper and news show before the war.

15. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Iraq before the war, was the most secular ME state. Many religious groups co-existed peacefully. Since we destroyed the country, we also demolished such social cohesion, and this development is not surprising.

If you google around, you'll find quotes from neocons, to the effect that one of the prime reasons Iraq was attacked, is precisely because it was the most secular in the ME - the idea was, that this meant we wouldn't face a religiously motivated enemy. One more - GIANT - miscalculation by the neocons... not to mention of course, the extreme cynicism, where you are attacked PRECISELY because you pose little danger (no WMDs, broken army, secular state etc.). The evil of these neocons and the people who conceived of this war, combined with their utter ignorance and arrogance is the very definition of what is wrong with the conservative movement.

The consequences of our illegal invasion of Iraq are so far going, it is impossible to readily summarize. You'll keep finding new disasters every day.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Since these guys have been around since well before Mohammed, I think we can assume that they, like the Jews, Thomasite Christians, Zoroastrians and Sabian Mandaeans, have coexisted in the same physical space throughout recorded history. This is a new depth being plumbed.

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Your conclusion is so true, and if you have links about the rest I'd like to read them, but more importantly, how was my spelling?

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Purrfect.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um... so?

It was in Iraq, and now it's not. We made it worse for them. Other countries in the area too. Same thing. Kinda the point of this thread.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow, I wonder what will happen when the US troops leave and never come back.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe the Iraqi army will grow some balls and protect their own country?

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, you'd hope. Otherwise Iraqi security forces need to grow a pair and protect the country from the inside.