Iraqi church officials call off Christmas festivities over fears of attacks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 22, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nothing like taking what was formerly a secular nation (crappy as it was) and giving it to radical Islam. I think we all knew this would happen eventually, but hey, we can handle another country being taken over by radical Islam, right?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-ml-iraq,0,4847587.story

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The last seven years have really been out of the frying pan, into the fire for the Iraqi people. Saddam's Iraq was no picnic, but things have not really improved there when you look at the final tally. Life is just filled with different horrors.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I have an Iraqi friend who is now a US citizen. I wonder if he's gonna go back and get his family out. I posted this years ago, but he's the filmmaker who went over there and did a documentary on his family during the war. It was unsettling. I think you can get it on Netflix now. Not the kindest review, but the movie is good, IMO. Maybe it's just because I know him and his wife.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2007/07/11/movies/11usam.html

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The point of Islam is to spread throughout the world. This isn't radical Islam it's fundamental Islam.

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Isn't that fundamental of all religions, though? I was taught in history class that one of the biggest reasons Europeans explored so much in the 1400s was to spread Christianity.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think you're mistaking "the point" with "a part".

Ask any Muslim you know what "the point" of Islam is and I guarantee you won't get "to spread it around the world".

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

It wasn't a reason so much as the enabler and hieromonks/priests were on essentially on every voyage of discovery.
    We really need spoiler tags

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

To add a few points...

Spreading religion wasn't the reason for exploration, gold and other valuables were the reason. When Christopher Columbus landed on the Americas, he wasn't spreading religion, but trying to find a faster trading route to India.

That's also how Native Americans became to be known as Indians, as Christopher Columbus originally believed he was successful. It was the religious leaders that pushed for clergy to go forth and subjugate the "damned" to their religious beliefs. Back then religious leaders had a lot of power and influence over ruling monarchies and could generally get what they wanted; hence the Crusades...

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Islam, like all centuries old religions is multi-faceted.

The Ottoman Empire was enormous and it inhabited the Balkans for centuries. They really didn't care about "spreading Islam" at all, all they were interested in was collecting money from taxes. Non-muslims were taxed at higher rates than Muslims. Obviously, a number of christians decided to convert, thereby slashing their tax burden by a huge amount. After awhile the ruling Pashas figured out what was going on and banned conversion because they were losing too much tax money.

They also didn't ban alcohol, every slavic country has its version of plum brandy and so the Pashas simply started taxing it. Bosnia even now consumes huge quantities of it, but before the breakup of Yugoslavia, they were probably the heaviest drinkers.

The Wahhabites have made inroads into Bosnia though, just like they want to make inroads into every other Muslim country in the world. They are definitely interested in converting other muslims to Wahhabism which is pretty scary.

Neither Iran nor Iraq nor Indonesia nor any other heavily populated majority muslim country is interested in converting christians. There's no money in pious muslims but there is lots of money in sin seeking christians.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Islam has also traditionally integrated very well and taken on parts of the local culture too, its just recently Wahhabism has done rather too well.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Heaven on earth to the proper islamic follower is total conversion and life lived under sharia law for everyone. Islam does not make a separation between governance and religion, its both.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, Canon Law has mainly been vanquished.

Time to take on another adversary to civilisation.

13. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The real irony of this situation comes from the fact that Jesus is considered a prophet by Muslims and is revered in the Quran. True Islam believes that Christians and Jews are brothers in faith and are only incomplete revelations of the word of God.